Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Dog

Featured Replies

As I looked at the list of awards at the Highlands football banquet, I noticed the Red Dog awards. So with it being the off season, it might be fun to reminisce about the coaching legend, Jim "Red Dog" Daugherty. He had an impact on so many in N. Ky. I even hear some of the his sayings being used in pee wee organizations (WETSU!). I would like to hear about his career and some of the stories. I know he coached at Highlands but I am not sure when. I know he was the head coach at Lloyd in the 70's and won a state championship there. Where else did he coach and when? Time for some off season fun.

As I looked at the list of awards at the Highlands football banquet, I noticed the Red Dog awards. So with it being the off season, it might be fun to reminisce about the coaching legend, Jim "Red Dog" Daugherty. He had an impact on so many in N. Ky. I even hear some of the his sayings being used in pee wee organizations (WETSU!). I would like to hear about his career and some of the stories. I know he coached at Highlands but I am not sure when. I know he was the head coach at Lloyd in the 70's and won a state championship there. Where else did he coach and when? Time for some off season fun.

 

I don't know off the top of my head the years he coached at Highlands, but I know he was revered. A great coach and an even greater person and gentleman. While very few kids on the current team ever met Red Dog, he is still talked about frequently by the Highlands coaches that coached with him and knew him. In addition to the award, there are several other remembrances of him still associated with the football program, as there should be in my opinion.

I don't know off the top of my head the years he coached at Highlands, but I know he was revered. A great coach and an even greater person and gentleman. While very few kids on the current team ever met Red Dog, he is still talked about frequently by the Highlands coaches that coached with him and knew him. In addition to the award, there are several other remembrances of him still associated with the football program, as there should be in my opinion.

 

 

:thumb:

I don't know off the top of my head the years he coached at Highlands, but I know he was revered. A great coach and an even greater person and gentleman.
He started with the team in the 1987 season, under Jack Eicher. He was still there through 1992; but, I don't know how long he coached with them after that.

 

Every great thing you hear about the man is true. :thumb:

He was at Simon Kenton around 1984; I believe. He was a character and he had plenty of sayings even with a team that was not talented, I still got a kick out him. He used to drive the same boy to/from school; just so he would be at school. He was a class act, even during a 1-10 season, he found some humor.

I remember one time I made coach Daugherty plenty upset. I was the ball boy for SK and I think it was 1983 and we were playing at Dayton. A few Devils' fans were camped in the wooded area above the South EZ. They asked me for the ball, and I provided it to them, then they took off. One problem, it was the game ball. That was 27 years ago, and I was 9 and I still remember how upset he was.

Edited by Ram
Rule 8

I remember one time I made coach Daugherty plenty upset. I was the ball boy for SK and I think it was 1983 and we were playing at Dayton. A few Devils' fans were camped in the wooded area above the South EZ. They asked me for the ball, and I provided it to them, then they took off. One problem, it was the game ball. That was 27 years ago, and I was 9 and I still remember how upset he was.
Now that is funny! :lol:

Edited by Ram

I remember having my bell rung, against I think it was Holmes after a reception and going in the wrong huddle. He went out with a trainer and when the players cleared, he said son next time stay down, don't embarrass us worse than the scoreboard. You got a love him...

He started with the team in the 1987 season, under Jack Eicher. He was still there through 1992; but, I don't know how long he coached with them after that.

 

Every great thing you hear about the man is true. :thumb:

 

He continued to coach at Highlands through the 95 season. I think he coached some of the early part of the 96 season before he passed away.

 

I was talking to another coach last night and he told me a Red Dog story. In the latter days of his cancer (it may have been during the early part of the 96 season), Red Dog was too weak to make it up and down the hill to Death Valley (Highlands practice field at the time). But Red Dog didn't want the players to know how sick he was. So he had the coach that told me the story drive him down the hill in a golf cart before any players would come out for practice (which was very early in the morning because this happened during two a days) and he'd stay down there until all the players had returned to the locker room after practice, and then the other coach would drive him up in the golf cart.

 

Here is a link to a great story about Red Dog and how the Birds dedicated their 96 championship game to him: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1996/11/30/spt_highlands.html

He continued to coach at Highlands through the 95 season. I think he coached some of the early part of the 96 season before he passed away.

 

I was talking to another coach last night and he told me a Red Dog story. In the latter days of his cancer (it may have been during the early part of the 96 season), Red Dog was too weak to make it up and down the hill to Death Valley (Highlands practice field at the time). But Red Dog didn't want the players to know how sick he was. So he had the coach that told me the story drive him down the hill in a golf cart before any players would come out for practice (which was very early in the morning because this happened during two a days) and he'd stay down there until all the players had returned to the locker room after practice, and then the other coach would drive him up in the golf cart.

 

Here is a link to a great story about Red Dog and how the Birds dedicated their 96 championship game to him: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1996/11/30/spt_highlands.html

 

Great article, I remember reading that.

Red Dog died Oct. 4 1996 which was a Friday. The birds played Conner that night and beat them pretty good. During the summer of 96 Red Dog would come to practice and sit on the field in "Death Valley" and coach. He was still able to yell and scream get his point accross. He would call players over to where he was sitting and tell you what you where doing wrong at your position and tell you how to fix it.

 

During the 95 season there was a few games he missed but was able to give the pregame pep talk via speaker phone. When the pregame pep talk was given there wasn't a dry eye in the locker room. The man could get a team and an individual fired up to play football. On top of coaching football be also coached track and field. For everyone who played under Red Dog you where truly blessed.

 

 

He continued to coach at Highlands through the 95 season. I think he coached some of the early part of the 96 season before he passed away.

 

I was talking to another coach last night and he told me a Red Dog story. In the latter days of his cancer (it may have been during the early part of the 96 season), Red Dog was too weak to make it up and down the hill to Death Valley (Highlands practice field at the time). But Red Dog didn't want the players to know how sick he was. So he had the coach that told me the story drive him down the hill in a golf cart before any players would come out for practice (which was very early in the morning because this happened during two a days) and he'd stay down there until all the players had returned to the locker room after practice, and then the other coach would drive him up in the golf cart.

 

Here is a link to a great story about Red Dog and how the Birds dedicated their 96 championship game to him: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1996/11/30/spt_highlands.html

I remember having my bell rung, against I think it was Holmes after a reception and going in the wrong huddle. He went out with a trainer and when the players cleared, he said son next time stay down, don't embarrass us worse than the scoreboard. You got a love him...

 

I believe that this is the best thread ever started on BGP. These are great stories and memories , not only for the players , but for the program and the fans as well. This coach is a legend , and will always be remembered in the hearts of everyone , not only Highlands people , but everyone whos ever heard of him or had the distinct honor of knowing him. He is sorely missed!!

I was blessed to be one of Red Dog's first projects at Highlands in 1987. He nicknamed me "Snake" because I was lefthanded I guess and he said that I reminded him a little of Kenny Stabler when I threw the ball. I can hear him now.....Snake, where is your heart today....I would kindly repay his coaching efforts with a QB downfield pancake block. Something that is not recommended for QB's but coach Red Dog encouraged it. He would come unglued when a QB or WR would get a lick on someone...I will say that the night of awards and when I walked accross that stage there was a man waiting for me holding a trophy in one hand and a outstretched arm waiting to give me the biggest hug I have ever received. It will go down as one of the best moments of my life. Thanks coach!!!! Not a day goes by that I don't think about some of the life lessons you coached us daily in practice...:thumb:

Here is one that I can remember. I believe it was the 1982 season and he was coaching at Lloyd. As the teams were warming up, his team began to chant an inappropriate term and then clap there hands. Considering he had two relatives on that team it just shows you that he would pull out all of the stops to motivate his team.

 

The man was a great motivator and like some of his siblings was involved for one reason and one reason only and that was for the kids. That is what it is all about.

Edited by Ram

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.