Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Basketball Fan(atics)...

Featured Replies

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

 

 

 

Jim,

 

What are you getting at? I have read it a couple of times, and this is the statement i'm getting....

 

You're not a UK fan because Kentucky's population of UK fans (speaking as a whole) have nothing to be proud of when it comes to their status in society, the economic condition of the fan base, the overall education level of the fan base, and the political status of the fan base?

  • Replies 77
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until this thread includes every team in every sport it will stand no merit with me.

I know this thread is about UK, but, Jim, you can apply that statement to any fan base of a state university in the south, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, ..., etc. Come on down and I'll take you to watch a Gator game in Yee Haw Junction, Waldo, Green Cove Springs, Chiefland, or Perry. Have you ever been to the metropolitan area of Gainsville? All of those places fit the social, economic, educational, political, and "other factors" you seem to attribute solely to UK fans.

 

I happen to proud to be from Kentucky. On the grand scale? What are you looking for? Kentucky has much to be proud of and none of it has anything to do with basketball or sports at all. What has Tennessee done on a grand scale to rally behind an be proud of.

 

Math, as a USF football season ticket holder, I will tell you that I plan my weekends, family functions, and vacations around home and road games all of the time. I know a guy who missed his sister's wedding and another posponed his father's funeral to go attend the FSU game last year. How sick is that?

 

This is disturbing.

Guys, we're talking about UK basketball fans. Math did not ask questions regarding other schools' fan bases. You're getting too defensive over my statement, which is typical.

 

Ol' Jim working his magic again. Lets see you make offensive, condensending comments about the state of Kenutcky and the people who live there and you wonder why they get defensive. Now that's typical.

Let me preface by saying I am a UK fan. I watch every game that I can and root wholeheartedly for each Big Blue win. But I guess I am of a different mindset than some fans. You know, the ones that worship Big Blue as a religion. I have heard some on here say they have nothing against UK but hate UK fans. I don't quite understand the mindset of the overly zealous UK fans. Don't get me wrong; I love the Cats. However, I don't pout for days after they lose a big game. I don't name my children after UK players or coaches. I don't schedule vacations around the team's schedule. I don't miss work or family functions because of a UK game. I don't spend hours each week trying to get on a radio call-in show to speak to the Great Leader himself. I don't take offense at each and every perceived slight of my beloved Big Blue. I don't flood a player's myspace or Facebook page with comments of loving adoration in good times or mean spirited remarks after a bad loss. I love the Wildcats, but I have never awaited them at an airport after an SEC Tourney win. I don't have my den decorated in Kentucky blue with Coach Cal and John Wall

memorabilia being the centerpieces of my shrine to the team.Ashley Judd is

not my favorite actress just because she is "UK's number one fan." And I don't hate Ricky P because he left Big Blue and is now sleeping with the "enemy."

 

For Schue and others, I think these are the UK fans for which they feel disdain. For me, I remain somewhat bewildered at just how much UK basketball means to these and other passionate UK fans. Is there something missing in the lives of fans whose lives seem to revolve around each UK win or loss? Speak to me about the UK fans that I have written about. Give me a psychological profile. Help me understand the fanatical passion that runs through those Big Blue veins.

 

I consider myself a big UK fan. But I just don't know what drives some fans. Is

it like a gift of the Holy Spirit? Is it something you have to pray for to receive? Or should a person just be glad they don't have it?

 

Let's hear some analysis of UK basketball fans. Do you have a good impression of them or do you have a better impression of the way lawmakers in Congress work together to solve problems than you do UK basketball fans?

One of the better posts I've read on here because, I guess, it sums up my beliefs as a UK fan.

It's simple, they've got more fans than most teams. They have had sustained success, and that attracts a lot of people. They are the pro team in the basketball crazed state. There is no NFL, NBA or MLB. It's UK. People love b-ball in this state. That's why UK and UofL are top three in attendance every single year.

Guys, we're talking about UK basketball fans. Math did not ask questions regarding other schools' fan bases. You're getting too defensive over my statement, which is typical.

 

Jim, the question as I see it seems to infer something is different about UK's fans. I have not seen one post yet I consider defensive. I see several very rational posts that try to analyze UK fans (as the thread opener requested). How do you determine if UK fans are different? Who do you compare them with? I guess if you are making the point that there are UK fanatics that go over the edge, no one will disagree with that. Can you help us out and explain where you are coming from a little better other than just saying we are talking about UK fans?

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

 

Math: I didn't catch your qualifier until too late. Sorry.

The "apolology" sounds a little bit hollow.

 

The first post came @ 11:44; the second @ 11:46.

 

That's only 2 minutes apart; which left you PLENTY of time to edit/correct your first post.

 

No, I think you wanted the first statement out there, IMO.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jim's analysis. Rather than focus on part of his statement, consider the post in it's entirety and in the context that it was intended and you should conclude that his argument may very well deserve merit.
I'm not dismissing his statement. On the contrary, I'm trying to discuss it.

 

Guys, we're talking about UK basketball fans. Math did not ask questions regarding other schools' fan bases. You're getting too defensive over my statement, which is typical.
I'm neither offended or upset by that post. However, I do interpret it as All State does. Is the interpretation wrong? To satisfy math's comment above, in what "context" should we be reading it? Can't take it back now, guy. It's like farting loudly in a crowded elevator and everybody knows you did it. It's hanging out there. May as well just cough and fan. :D

 

Math, your lead post infers abnormal behavior in a portion of the UK fan base, in your opinion, of course. A person can get emotionally vested in almost anything. Do I think some people take UK basketball way too seriously? Heck yes. Is it normal behavior? Compared to what? Your or my interpretation of life, or society as a whole? Jim, we can explain motivation, but how does one show that the behavior, as a portion of the fan base, it is normal without comparing it to other fan bases?

I'll take a stab at this, without trying to offend anyone!

 

First and foremost, I think we get caught up in everything that goes on with UK...because we LIVE in Kentucky (or have strong ties to it). When you're immersed inside all this craziness, you have a different outlook than somebody might on the "outside". I seriously doubt that the majority of people in Vermont, Wisconsin, Montanna or Arizona have any real idea (or care!) about what's going on with UK basketball at this particular moment. Likewise, we (as Kentuckians) may never fully grasp the impact that Cornhusker football has in Nebraska, or the Longhorns in Texas, or Florida or anywhere else. There are fanantics for just about every sport and for every team. It's just a matter of where you have to go to find them. Here in Kentucky, we find UK fanatics.

 

For many, their love of UK was perpetuated by the previous generation, and they, likewise, will pass it on to the following generation. And for many, it won't be a matter of choice...as LCPATS has stated, there's not a lot of competition. Some in NKY may be fans of the Bengals or Reds, some in Lousiville may be fans of the Cards...but that's about it. There's simply not a lot of options too choose from. UK basketball will remain the state's team/sport for years to come.

 

And finally, the other reason why we hear so much from the UK fanatics, is the fact that UK has had success. Everybody wants to be associated with a winner. You want to do a little chest thumping and be proud of what "your team" has done. UK has won (and won a lot) over the years, and the UK fanatics take great pride in that. However, the "logical" UK fans will be able to take a step back and look at the whole picture, and be able to be objective. The UK fanatics will not. They will pull out every little bit of trivial information to make a case in their favor.

 

Such was the case last year, when after North Carolina won the National Championship, I heard a lot of the UK fanatics say something along the lines of "Yeah, so what. Get back to us when you win a few more." But guess what? Last year NC WAS a better team than UK. This year it may be different. If you want to discuss a program's history, then that's one thing. But to blindly say that your team (this year) is better, simply because of that history, is absurd.

 

Let's face it, the old addage of "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" is very true. The fanatics ARE the ones making the noise. Hence, they get noticed. The "normal" UK fans and followers are there...but, they dont' make an effort to take things to the forefront. After all, that's part of what makes them "normal"!

I'll take a stab at this, without trying to offend anyone!

 

First and foremost, I think we get caught up in everything that goes on with UK...because we LIVE in Kentucky (or have strong ties to it). When you're immersed inside all this craziness, you have a different outlook than somebody might on the "outside". I seriously doubt that the majority of people in Vermont, Wisconsin, Montanna or Arizona have any real idea (or care!) about what's going on with UK basketball at this particular moment. Likewise, we (as Kentuckians) may never fully grasp the impact that Cornhusker football has in Nebraska, or the Longhorns in Texas, or Florida or anywhere else. There are fanantics for just about every sport and for every team. It's just a matter of where you have to go to find them. Here in Kentucky, we find UK fanatics.

 

For many, their love of UK was perpetuated by the previous generation, and they, likewise, will pass it on to the following generation. And for many, it won't be a matter of choice...as LCPATS has stated, there's not a lot of competition. Some in NKY may be fans of the Bengals or Reds, some in Lousiville may be fans of the Cards...but that's about it. There's simply not a lot of options too choose from. UK basketball will remain the state's team/sport for years to come.

 

And finally, the other reason why we hear so much from the UK fanatics, is the fact that UK has had success. Everybody wants to be associated with a winner. You want to do a little chest thumping and be proud of what "your team" has done. UK has won (and won a lot) over the years, and the UK fanatics take great pride in that. However, the "logical" UK fans will be able to take a step back and look at the whole picture, and be able to be objective. The UK fanatics will not. They will pull out every little bit of trivial information to make a case in their favor.

 

Such was the case last year, when after North Carolina won the National Championship, I heard a lot of the UK fanatics say something along the lines of "Yeah, so what. Get back to us when you win a few more." But guess what? Last year NC WAS a better team than UK. This year it may be different. If you want to discuss a program's history, then that's one thing. But to blindly say that your team (this year) is better, simply because of that history, is absurd.

 

Let's face it, the old addage of "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" is very true. The fanatics ARE the ones making the noise. Hence, they get noticed. The "normal" UK fans and followers are there...but, they dont' make an effort to take things to the forefront. After all, that's part of what makes them "normal"!

 

I think that pretty well covers it. :thumb::thumb:

Radio talk shows would have nothing to talk about, no one would care about what commentators on ESPN think, and forums like this would not exist, if those UK fanatics, weren't as passionate as they are.

And there are probably 35 or more other states with even less to be proud of in many areas. I don't think that is it at all.

 

The fact is UK fans are not much different than Pittsburgh Steeler fans, Alabama football fans and even Duke fans (as we see displayed here on BGP). We could list many groups of fans that go over the edge or aren't rational in how they "support" their teams. The problem with UK fans is there are just more of them. There are more good fans. And there are more fanatics so it is easier to get your fill of them.

 

That's laughable, we have realistic visions and expectations for Duke. We spend most of our time on here defending ourselves, players, commentators and coaches. There isn't but about 6 or 7 of us on here anyways and if we are like you guys, then I'll never post on here about Duke again with non Duke fans. I know who the Duke fans are on here when I need a rational discussion about Duke, I'll just speak with them from now on. UK fans are the ones who start threads about Duke's road ineptitude and our soft schedule. Why would a UK fan even care about how well we do on the road or who we are playing? We don't even play you guys!!!!! Being like a UK basketball fan is not a flattering feeling, IMO.

 

UK fans are the bane of my existence. And while it may be the 18% percent that drives me nuts, it is really 99% of you. Coach Cal was a cheating, non big game winning coach until he came to UK. Tubby Smith was a great in game coach until he couldn't recruit anymore. Billy G was the next big thing and was going to bring UK back to prominence until he lost to Gardner-Webb. UK fans always have an excuse about everything. UK fans are always right and always the most knowledgeable about all things basketball. UK fans even rationalize kicking kids off of the team because they aren't good enough even though they had been recruited to play there(Roderick Rhodes). Shouldn't the guy doing the recruiting be the one let go? Now there is a thread up about how Coach Cal is making John Wall unhappy and Wall needs to suck it up because he isn't playing well. Two weeks ago Wall was a shoe in for Player of the Year according to most UK fans. I have never understood the sense of entitlement UK fans feel the need to have and while I am sure most of you will claim to be the rational, not in the 18%, I put 99% of you in the 18%, because that is the way it always seems. Very rarely can any non UK fan have a rational discussion about UK basketball with a UK basketball fan.

That's laughable, we have realistic visions and expectations for Duke. We spend most of our time on here defending ourselves, players, commentators and coaches. There isn't but about 6 or 7 of us on here anyways and if we are like you guys, then I'll never post on here about Duke again with non Duke fans. I know who the Duke fans are on here when I need a rational discussion about Duke, I'll just speak with them from now on. UK fans are the ones who start threads about Duke's road ineptitude and our soft schedule. Why would a UK fan even care about how well we do on the road or who we are playing? We don't even play you guys!!!!! Being like a UK basketball fan is not a flattering feeling, IMO.

 

UK fans are the bane of my existence. And while it may be the 18% percent that drives me nuts, it is really 99% of you. Coach Cal was a cheating, non big game winning coach until he came to UK. Tubby Smith was a great in game coach until he couldn't recruit anymore. Billy G was the next big thing and was going to bring UK back to prominence until he lost to Gardner-Webb. UK fans always have an excuse about everything. UK fans are always right and always the most knowledgeable about all things basketball. UK fans even rationalize kicking kids off of the team because they aren't good enough even though they had been recruited to play there(Roderick Rhodes). Shouldn't the guy doing the recruiting be the one let go? Now there is a thread up about how Coach Cal is making John Wall unhappy and Wall needs to suck it up because he isn't playing well. Two weeks ago Wall was a shoe in for Player of the Year according to most UK fans. I have never understood the sense of entitlement UK fans feel the need to have and while I am sure most of you will claim to be the rational, not in the 18%, I put 99% of you in the 18%, because that is the way it always seems. Very rarely can any non UK fan have a rational discussion about UK basketball with a UK basketball fan.

 

:lol: Calm down, charger.

:lol: Calm down, charger.

 

Sorry:D, I can get a little passionate when UK fans are the subject.....my bad.:ylsuper:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.