Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Basketball Fan(atics)...

Featured Replies

Let me preface by saying I am a UK fan. I watch every game that I can and root wholeheartedly for each Big Blue win. But I guess I am of a different mindset than some fans. You know, the ones that worship Big Blue as a religion. I have heard some on here say they have nothing against UK but hate UK fans. I don't quite understand the mindset of the overly zealous UK fans. Don't get me wrong; I love the Cats. However, I don't pout for days after they lose a big game. I don't name my children after UK players or coaches. I don't schedule vacations around the team's schedule. I don't miss work or family functions because of a UK game. I don't spend hours each week trying to get on a radio call-in show to speak to the Great Leader himself. I don't take offense at each and every perceived slight of my beloved Big Blue. I don't flood a player's myspace or Facebook page with comments of loving adoration in good times or mean spirited remarks after a bad loss. I love the Wildcats, but I have never awaited them at an airport after an SEC Tourney win. I don't have my den decorated in Kentucky blue with Coach Cal and John Wall

memorabilia being the centerpieces of my shrine to the team.Ashley Judd is

not my favorite actress just because she is "UK's number one fan." And I don't hate Ricky P because he left Big Blue and is now sleeping with the "enemy."

 

For Schue and others, I think these are the UK fans for which they feel disdain. For me, I remain somewhat bewildered at just how much UK basketball means to these and other passionate UK fans. Is there something missing in the lives of fans whose lives seem to revolve around each UK win or loss? Speak to me about the UK fans that I have written about. Give me a psychological profile. Help me understand the fanatical passion that runs through those Big Blue veins.

 

I consider myself a big UK fan. But I just don't know what drives some fans. Is

it like a gift of the Holy Spirit? Is it something you have to pray for to receive? Or should a person just be glad they don't have it?

 

Let's hear some analysis of UK basketball fans. Do you have a good impression of them or do you have a better impression of the way lawmakers in Congress work together to solve problems than you do UK basketball fans?

Edited by the mathemagician

  • Replies 77
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe in generalizations, so I'm speaking only for myself here.

 

I like to watch Kentucky basketball, read about it, and discuss it. I don't obsess over it, and I understand that it has no actual bearing on my life when they lose. I went to work on Wednesday, and I had no less than 10 people ask me what I did Tuesday night to get over the loss. My answer? "I turned the TV off and went to sleep." I can't stand talking to the person that is absolutely obsessed, and on the other end I get annoyed when I'm talking to the person that knows 0 but likes to act like they do. A good in-between is where I like it.

 

I used to get upset about when they lost, but eventually realized that it did nothing and was just a waste of energy. It was around the Marquette loss in the Elite Eight that changed things for me. I was 14 or 15, and something clicked in my mind and it just kind of stopped bothering me as much. Since that point, I don't like when they lose... But I also don't really care.

 

I'm probably a bigger Seahawks fan in football than I am a UK basketball fan, though.

You my friend.......obviously,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Didn't have your entire chilhood scarred/ruined by Christian Laettner. :D

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

Math: I didn't catch your qualifier until too late. Sorry.

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

 

And there are probably 35 or more other states with even less to be proud of in many areas. I don't think that is it at all.

 

The fact is UK fans are not much different than Pittsburgh Steeler fans, Alabama football fans and even Duke fans (as we see displayed here on BGP). We could list many groups of fans that go over the edge or aren't rational in how they "support" their teams. The problem with UK fans is there are just more of them. There are more good fans. And there are more fanatics so it is easier to get your fill of them.

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

 

I find this highly inaccurate. Just because people are not rich and scholarly does not mean they don't have much to be proud of. Again its a very low % of UK fans that do the negative stuff that is always talked about.

Math, I'm sorry I posted, because these guys won't receive my statement in any way other than a defensive posture.

 

Answer Math's question honestly and don't worry about my statement. Or, if that's impossible for you, read my ENTIRE post, and examine each word and what the whole statement says carefully and honestly before you start screaming bloody murder and parsing out individual parts of it.

And there are probably 35 or more other states with even less to be proud of in many areas. I don't think that is it at all.

 

The fact is UK fans are not much different than Pittsburgh Steeler fans, Alabama football fans and even Duke fans (as we see displayed here on BGP). We could list many groups of fans that go over the edge or aren't rational in how they "support" their teams. The problem with UK fans is there are just more of them. There are more good fans. And there are more fanatics so it is easier to get your fill of them.

 

We're not talking about other states or teams. UK is the question at hand. Everything else is irrelevant.

 

I find this highly inaccurate. Just because people are not rich and scholarly does not mean they don't have much to be proud of. Again its a very low % of UK fans that do the negative stuff that is always talked about.

 

You left out the "grand scale" part, which is an important qualifier.

We're not talking about other states or teams. UK is the question at hand. Everything else is irrelevant.

 

My point is this really isn't a UK question because UK fans aren't different. There are just a lot more of them. It is as simple as that.

 

The over the edge UK fans irritate the heck out of me also because it makes it tough for the vast majority of the UK fans who are rational to explain them away. I know some people who hear you are a UK fan and they don't want to even talk to you anymore. And they can't believe that a UK fan like myself can actually be objective about the Wildcats. They are as irrational as the "bluenecks" IMO.

I'm a die hard UK fan. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that I own around a $1000 dollars in UK gear. I've been to two games this year and each time I spent close to $140 a ticket.

 

I respect Rick Pitino for what he did for our beloved program and I lost some respect for him the day he became the head coach of UL. I love Smith for the way he represented our University and the way he conducted himself, I also realize that his last few seasons (recruiting) he wasn't holding up his end of the contract that he signed with UK. I'm optimistically cautious about the hiring of Cal. I love the talent that he brings in but his track record scares me to death.

 

I don't lose sleep over losses. Although I may think the players could give more effort at times I would never post anything negative on their face book pages, that's childish.

 

I believe the University of Kentucky represents one of the top 3 college basketball programs of all times(UK, NC and UCLA), I believe that if you disagree with that statement that you are jealous or blinded by the loyalty of the team you support....numbers don't lie...

 

From my point of view we have one of the largest, most passionate and intense fan bases in the country. Every fan base has their nut jobs and I truly believe that our nut jobs are made more public simply because their are more of them. I believe we have more fans than the average college team resulting in more idiots. The packing of Rupp every night confirms that.

 

I don't buy into the ESPN bias that many do. If the truly didn't like us they wouldn't air so many of our games.

 

I love the fact that the only banners we hang in Rupp are NC banners. This is something that makes me very proud. As a fan of UK, an elite 8, a final 4 or a NC runner up are not enough.

 

Those are my thoughts on UK basketball, if that puts me in the "18%" category then so be it.

  • Author

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jim's analysis. Rather than focus on part of his statement, consider the post in it's entirety and in the context that it was intended and you should conclude that his argument may very well deserve merit.

Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes:

 

A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale.

 

Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is.

I know this thread is about UK, but, Jim, you can apply that statement to any fan base of a state university in the south, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, ..., etc. Come on down and I'll take you to watch a Gator game in Yee Haw Junction, Waldo, Green Cove Springs, Chiefland, or Perry. Have you ever been to the metropolitan area of Gainsville? All of those places fit the social, economic, educational, political, and "other factors" you seem to attribute solely to UK fans.

 

I happen to proud to be from Kentucky. On the grand scale? What are you looking for? Kentucky has much to be proud of and none of it has anything to do with basketball or sports at all. What has Tennessee done on a grand scale to rally behind an be proud of.

 

Math, as a USF football season ticket holder, I will tell you that I plan my weekends, family functions, and vacations around home and road games all of the time. I know a guy who missed his sister's wedding and another posponed his father's funeral to go attend the FSU game last year. How sick is that?

Guys, we're talking about UK basketball fans. Math did not ask questions regarding other schools' fan bases. You're getting too defensive over my statement, which is typical.

I find this entire thread amusing. If BCG were still here, then this thread would not be here, and everyone here knows that is a fact. I find it very interesting that people (the haters) only care and talk about UK when they are winning. Very interesting indeed. Roll on CATS, and keep wondering why MATH..................:) It's "WALL" good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.