January 31, 201016 yr Well, I figure that the people who would be mad about this ensuing statement probably already don't care for me, so here goes: A big part of it is because, for many Kentuckians, there's just not that much to be proud of and rally behind on a grand scale. Now, mind you, that is a multi-layered statement that comes from decades of observing the Wildcat fan base, from one end of the state to the other. And it comes from more than just observing general fan behavior, but from studying social, economic, educational, political and other factors that make the Commonwealth what it is. Do you think this is unique to KY or do you think the same reasoning holds true for other fanatical fan bases?
January 31, 201016 yr Again, I'm not trying to argue any certain point... I'm just trying to gain an understanding of this point-of-view. Does this theory apply to all residents of the state? Including the ones that cheer for Western Kentucky, Louisville, Morehead State, etc.? What about the Kentucky resident fanatics that cheer for out of state teams such as Duke, North Carolina, etc.? Do you think this is the reason they rally behind their teams? Most WKU/Morehead/EKU/Murray fans would tell you UK is their No. 1. I doubt there are many native-born Kentuckians who would say they only cheer for one of the smaller schools. As far as UofL goes, it stands to reason that folks gravitated toward the Cardinals in much the same way UK fans did to the 'Cats. It just happened on a smaller, more localized basis. If we're talking about native Kentuckians with your question about UNC, Duke, etc., well, there are always outliers. Who knows how they came to the decision they did? It seems more likely in those cases they latched onto the bandwagon at some point, or gravitated toward a certain player or coach. And some perhaps came to that decision as a response of rejection of UK. For the record, my dad's a UofL fan (and an IU fan to a lesser degree, having been born there), and that's where I get it.
January 31, 201016 yr Do you think this is unique to KY or do you think the same reasoning holds true for other fanatical fan bases? No, it's not unique in any way. On a state-by-state basis the factors in play might differ somewhat, but ultimately it comes down to folks looking for a diversion from life's harsh reality. Take Iowa or Nebraska, for instance. Have you been to either of those states? If you have, you know how freakin' boring life is, so the Hawkeyes and Huskers became logical sources of entertainment.
January 31, 201016 yr Most WKU/Morehead/EKU/Murray fans would tell you UK is their No. 1. I doubt there are many native-born Kentuckians who would say they only cheer for one of the smaller schools. As far as UofL goes, it stands to reason that folks gravitated toward the Cardinals in much the same way UK fans did to the 'Cats. It just happened on a smaller, more localized basis. If we're talking about native Kentuckians with your question about UNC, Duke, etc., well, there are always outliers. Who knows how they came to the decision they did? It seems more likely in those cases they latched onto the bandwagon at some point, or gravitated toward a certain player or coach. And some perhaps came to that decision as a response of rejection of UK. For the record, my dad's a UofL fan (and an IU fan to a lesser degree, having been born there), and that's where I get it. That is one of the main reasons I am a Duke fan.:thumb: I even attended school at UK and was still a proud Dukie.
January 31, 201016 yr Most WKU/Morehead/EKU/Murray fans would tell you UK is their No. 1. I doubt there are many native-born Kentuckians who would say they only cheer for one of the smaller schools. As far as UofL goes, it stands to reason that folks gravitated toward the Cardinals in much the same way UK fans did to the 'Cats. It just happened on a smaller, more localized basis. If we're talking about native Kentuckians with your question about UNC, Duke, etc., well, there are always outliers. Who knows how they came to the decision they did? It seems more likely in those cases they latched onto the bandwagon at some point, or gravitated toward a certain player or coach. And some perhaps came to that decision as a response of rejection of UK. For the record, my dad's a UofL fan (and an IU fan to a lesser degree, having been born there), and that's where I get it. I'm just looking at it and thinking... If you're a native Kentuckian and have been here through it all, you are a product of the same lack of education and problems that others in the state are. You may gravitate towards sports as a result of that, but I don't think it necessarily makes you lean towards Kentucky basketball. So wouldn't it stand to reason that fans of Duke and Carolina from Kentucky are so for similar reasons?
January 31, 201016 yr I'd like to take a swipe at some of what Jim Schue is saying and see if it is applicable as a theory for other places/teams. Pittsburgh Steeler fans are some of the most passionate anywhere. This was especially true because of a great run in the 70's that continued under Noll. It was a great time of upheaval in the Steel industry and the Steelers brought light to a highly diverse area of Pennsylvania that had little to feel pride in. Notre Dame was a small academic school in Northern Indiana until Knute Rockne brought them National prominence. They were the midwestern school but even more so, they were a Catholic institution. ND became the surrogate Catholic school of the nation because of their prominence in football and raised up the Irish/Catholic banner on the heels of prejudice in the 18th and 19th centuries. Alabama also ranked near the bottom of states economically and socially. But UA football and Auburn football provided an oasis of pride that is sustained today. IU Basketball fans have bordered the fanatical IMO. Probably for the same reasons that you assert for UK Jim. What does Indiana have except farmland and the Indy 500? I think their fanatical base was the real reason they put up with Bobby Knight's antics for so many years. He won and that is why they wouldn't get rid of him. It was until he was less successful that there was enough fan and administration courage to say goodbye. And let me add the UNC fan base. When Duke won their third title under K, the UNC media department suddenly began sanctioning the "official" recognition of "Four National Titles" for the Heels. 1957, 1982, 1993 & 1924. When I inquired where that came from they said: "Helms Foundation National Title." They never bothered to count it until Duke had 3. That's pretty fanatical right there. :lol: While living in another state for nearly 20 years, when I mention KY I get 2 reactions: Have you been to the Derby? They have a good basketball program there. It's what we are known for. In my churches my congregation have allowed me to celebrate UK success. (I wore a UK jersey to give announcements the Sunday after the Cats won in '96. Of course it was over my suit. ) They also celebrated my losses. (After the loss to Arizona a friend in the church had a banner printed and it was displayed across the balcony when I arrived that Sunday: Arizona Wildcats NCAA Champion) Like Jim though, I've noticed that some places have fan bases that aren't as passionate IMO. LA teams seem to be more laid back. Probably because there is so much more to be involved in that fans can drift in and out based on success. I see some of Jim's assertion. But like others, I don't see it as limited to fan base for KY only. :thumb:
January 31, 201016 yr Tough call here. I believe, to a degree, everyone is right. Mostly, it is just who you focus on. Some good, some bad and some bandwagon. I personally know of examples of all three.
February 1, 201016 yr I think some people spend entirely too much time critiquing and analyzing UK basketball fans. I severaly dislike Ohio State. I'm sure that if I moved to Columbus, their fan base would irritate me. UK fans don't have a special gene, or a "gift from the Holy Spirt"...they have human nature. Like the rest of us. They don't act any different than fans of similar programs. We just happen to live amongst them. Look at how the U of L fanbase reacted to the Kragthorpe era after they had tasted big time success under Petrino. :idunno:
February 1, 201016 yr I think some people spend entirely too much time critiquing and analyzing UK basketball fans. I severaly dislike Ohio State. I'm sure that if I moved to Columbus, their fan base would irritate me. UK fans don't have a special gene, or a "gift from the Holy Spirt"...they have human nature. Like the rest of us. They don't act any different than fans of similar programs. We just happen to live amongst them. Look at how the U of L fanbase reacted to the Kragthorpe era after they had tasted big time success under Petrino. :idunno: I couldn't agree more
February 1, 201016 yr For the record, it doesn't bother me when someone calls out the lunatic contingent of the UK fanbase...the Patterson facebook stuff is a good example. What bothers me is the constant insinuation that they are unique to UK and no other team has a percentage of crazies among its fans.
February 1, 201016 yr I think some people spend entirely too much time critiquing and analyzing UK basketball fans. I severaly dislike Ohio State. I'm sure that if I moved to Columbus, their fan base would irritate me. UK fans don't have a special gene, or a "gift from the Holy Spirt"...they have human nature. Like the rest of us. They don't act any different than fans of similar programs. We just happen to live amongst them. Look at how the U of L fanbase reacted to the Kragthorpe era after they had tasted big time success under Petrino. :idunno: I have explained that part of it to the 18-percenters ad infinitum over the years, but it's usually about as productive as banging my head against the wall. That is also why I'm quick to point out how lame it is for UK fans to excuse behavior like the Facebook stuff by saying "but other schools' fans do it too." It's kind of like the whole thing momma used to say: Just because your buddy wants to jump off a three-story roof doesn't mean it's a good idea. (Or something to that effect.)
February 1, 201016 yr I have explained that part of it to the 18-percenters ad infinitum over the years, but it's usually about as productive as banging my head against the wall. That is also why I'm quick to point out how lame it is for UK fans to excuse behavior like the Facebook stuff by saying "but other schools' fans do it too." It's kind of like the whole thing momma used to say: Just because your buddy wants to jump off a three-story roof doesn't mean it's a good idea. (Or something to that effect.) Close enough. :thumb:
February 1, 201016 yr As a UK fan, I can't recall the last time I even gave the fans of another team one ounce of thought. Obviously, the people that hate UK fans are fans of other teams, right? So here is a question for you, why do you even spend one second thinking about UK, their fans, their team, anything at all? I know alot of fans from other teams, Duke, UNC, L'ville, UC, and I could care less about their fans and how much passion they have for their team. I just like the fact they are loyal to their team, regardless of who it is. I say support your team with all you got, and live and let live. Why does UK get so much attention? Is it because they win?
February 1, 201016 yr I find this entire thread amusing. If BCG were still here, then this thread would not be here, and everyone here knows that is a fact. I find it very interesting that people (the haters) only care and talk about UK when they are winning. Very interesting indeed. Roll on CATS, and keep wondering why MATH.................. It's "WALL" good. I find it amusing because "Math" is dead on. :lol::lol: I do think if BCG was still at UK there still could be a thread like this. I don't think that people talk about UK just when they are winning. They talk about them all the time. Especially when it comes to some of the fans. You can call it "hating"...I call it quality entertainment! :laugh::laugh:
February 1, 201016 yr Radio talk shows would have nothing to talk about, no one would care about what commentators on ESPN think, and forums like this would not exist, if those UK fanatics, weren't as passionate as they are. Right on Swamp! :notworthy::notworthy:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.