Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Oldham Job

Featured Replies

Leatherneck, if a survey isn't a bad idea, since you have a copy of the survey everyone is talking about, why don't you go ahead and send it out to the parents at Highlands?

 

There are a lot of different ways to get (or give) feedback, with a survey being just one. Of course, I prefer old fashioned email when I feel the need to share my opinion.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ColonelMike,

 

I agree with most of what you said above. I think this could be a great situation for the right coach. Since I raised the issue of spring practice, I will clarify my comment. I'm not aware of anyone representing South Oldham making any comment about spring practice. My comment was simply meant to acknowledge that it will be difficult for the new head coach to do all that is necessary to have productive spring practices in time.

 

Depending on the post-season success of the basketball teams, the 3 week period for spring football practice will begin on either Mar. 8, 15 or 22. If a coach is hired this coming Monday (March 1) AND one of the basketball teams makes it to the sweet 16, the coach will have exactly 3 weeks to hire a staff, get to know the team, issue equipment, train the staff, etc., etc., etc. That is the best case scenario. If a coach isn't hired for another week, or neither of the basketball teams makes the sweet 16, there will be less preparation time.

 

I know that in some circumstances the KHSAA has granted exceptions to the normal schedule and allowed schools to hold spring practice later. I have no idea how often those requests are granted or on what grounds. Maybe someone with more info could provide that information.

:thumb:
There are a lot of different ways to get (or give) feedback, with a survey being just one. Of course, I prefer old fashioned email when I feel the need to share my opinion.

 

And I always make sure I send it from my [email protected] account, and sign it "Thanks - 87Bird"

 

Open and honest...always the best policy. :)

WOW! Col. Mike, you are right in one regard, the issues have been blown out of whack. I wonder why know one seems to think that the coach nmay have brought some of this on himself? Not by not playing kids, but but not communicating with parents. Being defensive all of the time. Not repecting his players. II had parents tell me that this past season was about him winning and not about the kids. It does take 2 to tango.

 

It has been seaid that a "group of idiot parents" caused this. I heard that 41 parents out of 64 took the time to fill out the survey. That means the group is over half of the team.

 

Col. Mike, I don't believe the administration cares about a successful football program. They will only look at resumes of those certified in Current Teaching openings. So they do not look for the best leader for these student athletes, just the best"English" teacher that may want to coach football. That does not denote caring about successful football. 3 years ago Higgins and Lawson were not even given a look because they taught math and south did not have math openings. At the end of the year I was told that they had 2 math openings. So they could have had Coach of the Year folks, and strong coaches, but they chose their 3rd 2st year coach.

 

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the school did not fire the coach, he quit. No I have been told that his attitude towards kids that quit was that he would say that they did not need quitters. So, would the same hold true here?

 

I talked with a SO guy at Nike COY and I think there were problems caused by all sides and it is easy to blame the parents. He gave me some issues that I could not understand how the blowup would not have happened sooner. He never talked bad about the coach, just wanted to understand some things and was not given the chance.

 

Everybody on here can make the jokes, but they really don't know all of the issues and problems that existed in that program. I don't know if we ever will really know. It seems that everybody that is in coaching or education defends the coach, parents will defend the parents. so.....

  • Author
WOW! Col. Mike, you are right in one regard, the issues have been blown out of whack. I wonder why know one seems to think that the coach nmay have brought some of this on himself? Not by not playing kids, but but not communicating with parents. Being defensive all of the time. Not repecting his players. II had parents tell me that this past season was about him winning and not about the kids. It does take 2 to tango.

 

It has been seaid that a "group of idiot parents" caused this. I heard that 41 parents out of 64 took the time to fill out the survey. That means the group is over half of the team.

 

Col. Mike, I don't believe the administration cares about a successful football program. They will only look at resumes of those certified in Current Teaching openings. So they do not look for the best leader for these student athletes, just the best"English" teacher that may want to coach football. That does not denote caring about successful football. 3 years ago Higgins and Lawson were not even given a look because they taught math and south did not have math openings. At the end of the year I was told that they had 2 math openings. So they could have had Coach of the Year folks, and strong coaches, but they chose their 3rd 2st year coach.

 

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the school did not fire the coach, he quit. No I have been told that his attitude towards kids that quit was that he would say that they did not need quitters. So, would the same hold true here?

 

I talked with a SO guy at Nike COY and I think there were problems caused by all sides and it is easy to blame the parents. He gave me some issues that I could not understand how the blowup would not have happened sooner. He never talked bad about the coach, just wanted to understand some things and was not given the chance.

 

Everybody on here can make the jokes, but they really don't know all of the issues and problems that existed in that program. I don't know if we ever will really know. It seems that everybody that is in coaching or education defends the coach, parents will defend the parents. so.....

 

Footballisking, this would be a great time to finally share the coaches issues and problems. What exactly was the communication problem? I think Lawson is a social studies teacher and not a math teacher.

Edited by footballhd

Higgins is the Brother in law of the guy I spoke with at the clinic. He seemed more disgruntled at the process that Higgins and Lawson were never given an interview. Why do you not talk to all qualified candidates. That is his real problem with the system. Tims point is that you cannot ever know if you are hiring the best person if you do not look at all candidates. Only looking at candidates that fit an opening that you know of in the present, not what may occur down the road. I don't know Lawson or anything about him. So if he had a job then he did.

 

I don't think it is my place to air out the differences between the parents and coaches. They should have done that themselves. You seem to know Tim, call him. I don't think he would not talk to anyone.

Footballisking be careful where you get your info.

Colonel Mike are you not a South Oldham parent. Also you named a few successful sports at South but you were not able to mention Football

 

I'm not a South Oldham parent. I'm an Oldham County HS parent. My son plays baseball and runs X-C at Oldham County HS. However, I'm a fan of the three Oldham County schools - all three - and I broadcast the football games of all three.

 

I disputed the assertion that South cares nothing about athletics by pointing out some of their successes and the fact they have put an awful lot of money into facilities 90% of schools would drool over. Obviously, my list of athletic achievements was not meant to be "all-inclusive", and I don't think football (or any particular sport) has to be successful for a school to be "committed" to quality athletic programs.

I just read that Jamie Reed accepted the coaching position. Is this true? Can anyone give details about this guy?

I just read that Jamie Reed accepted the coaching position. Is this true? Can anyone give details about this guy?

 

Who????

Coach Reed has coached in Georgia previously. Has been a HS head coach before. He IS the new coach of the football Dragons.

Coach Reed has coached in Georgia previously. Has been a HS head coach before. He IS the new coach of the football Dragons.

 

Congrats to Coach Reed. Hopefully he has the skills needed to bring the players and parents together and garner the support needed from administration to create an uber successful team at SO.

Congrats to Coach Reed. Hopefully he has the skills needed to bring the players and parents together and garner the support needed from administration to create an uber successful team at SO.

I wish this man the best of luck. :cool:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.