Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Oldham Job

Featured Replies

  • Author

Whoever gets the job as Head Coach, they will have to log onto an online survey site each day before practice and in-between quarters during games. Parents will basically vote on type of practice and in-game play calling. They ditched the text message voting idea because it took to long to text.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh:

 

Seriously, the word is the number of applicants exceeded 50. They are interviewing now, and some of the applicants are extremely interesting, from what I'm hearing off-the-record.

 

I follow all three Oldham schools very closely, and deal with the three schools coaches and administrators constantly.

 

My honest opinion is that this is a golden opportunity for someone. You don't get many opportunities to become a head coach at a school hungry for football success that has this much going for it in terms of facilities, personnel, and numbers of kids.

  • Author
:laugh:

 

Seriously, the word is the number of applicants exceeded 50. They are interviewing now, and some of the applicants are extremely interesting, from what I'm hearing off-the-record.

 

I follow all three Oldham schools very closely, and deal with the three schools coaches and administrators constantly.

 

My honest opinion is that this is a golden opportunity for someone. You don't get many opportunities to become a head coach at a school hungry for football success that has this much going for it in terms of facilities, personnel, and numbers of kids.

 

Not trying to start an argument or crack jokes, but who at the school is "hungry for football success"? The administration? From things I heard, they could care less if sports win or lose. The parents? From everything posted on here and heard in the community they just care about their child having his playing time. The players? Safe to say all players want to win, but do they have the mindset, parent pushing them the right way, and work ethic to really get success?

Parents voted, spring ball is not important, so that will be fine!

 

So I assume you've seen the results of the survey and the survey says the parents don't want spring football, correct?

  • Author

I think that was a joke.

ColonelMike, I'm guessing you won't tell us who has interviewed, but can you let us in on when they started interviewing, how many they intend to interview, or what is the timetable?

No spring ball are they nuts, You need to have it if not for the young men that are not playing baseball or running track. you can get so much out of the way for a new coach he can establish his tone and mood in practice and set his rules.

Not trying to start an argument or crack jokes, but who at the school is "hungry for football success"? The administration? From things I heard, they could care less if sports win or lose. The parents? From everything posted on here and heard in the community they just care about their child having his playing time. The players? Safe to say all players want to win, but do they have the mindset, parent pushing them the right way, and work ethic to really get success?

 

I think most of the jokes put out here were intended all in good fun, but frankly, there has been so much fun poked at South Oldham's expense that reality has been truly distorted beyond belief. The administration at South is very intent on athletic success - but their focus is on academic success, which is as it should be. If South were so horribly negligent of what happens to their sports programs, they wouldn't be sporting the state-of-the-art facilities they have, including the artificial surface football stadium, and brand-new tennis courts, softball field, and baseball field. Their soccer, cross-country, and wrestling teams are among the tops in the state every season. The reigning Mr. Soccer is from South Oldham. The numbers of kids getting athletic scholarships at South is considerable. South Oldham's girls' soccer team is the winningest girls' soccer team in KY history. The girls' basketball team has won 8 of the last 12 district titles and has gone at least to the region semi-finals for four years in a row. The boys basketball team has just registered the most wins in a single season in school history and will be favored to win their second straight district title Friday night. South even has a lacrosse team (how many schools in KY even have a lacrosse team?)

 

To say that athletics isn't important at South is absolutely laughable. To say that academics is more important would be correct. But that in no way means they don't care about their sports.

 

Even the discussion regarding the football survey has been terribly distorted, and the truth about the survey has been completely obscured. I certainly don't think the survey was a good idea, and was shocked when I heard about it, but the fact is, the origins of the survey came out of an attempt by the parents and coaching staff to resolve communications issues that were bogging down the previous staff. It was probably a bad idea, but the overall intent wasn't nearly as sinister as many have speculated here. (although I'm not naive - I'm also quite certain there were a few individuals who saw it as a path to removing the coach)

 

It's probably way past time that the jokes stopped, because it's really no longer funny. (and no, I don't have a kid in the school, nor do I live in the SOHS district) We don't really further the purpose of this forum by poking fun at a school, which - for everyone jerk parent who only cares about when / where his/her son plays - has ten people who are working hard to help the TEAM.

 

ColonelMike, I'm guessing you won't tell us who has interviewed, but can you let us in on when they started interviewing, how many they intend to interview, or what is the timetable?

 

Honestly, I only know one of the 50+ names. I've talked to administration officials on a couple of occasions, and they didn't volunteer names and I wasn't nosy. They've been interviewing for a while. Not sure of the timetable, but I do know they are pushing to wrap up very soon. I do know they were interviewing candidates late Wednesday night...

 

No spring ball are they nuts, You need to have it if not for the young men that are not playing baseball or running track. you can get so much out of the way for a new coach he can establish his tone and mood in practice and set his rules.

 

Who said there's going to be no spring ball?? Nobody who represents SOHS. :ohbrother:

Colonel Mike you are wrong about the survey it was not done by the parents and the coaching staff to fix communication problems. It was done by a group of disgruntled parents for the sole purpose to get the coaching staff fired or to get Coach Holbrook to resign.

Colonel Mike you are wrong about the survey it was not done by the parents and the coaching staff to fix communication problems. It was done by a group of disgruntled parents for the sole purpose to get the coaching staff fired or to get Coach Holbrook to resign.

 

That isn't entirely correct. I'm quite sure that this was the intent of some of the parents involved. But I know for a fact that some of the parents involved DIDN'T want the coaches to leave. These particular individuals were among the coaches' staunchest defenders. They honestly saw the survey as a potential fix to what they perceived as communications problems. I don't agree with their chosen solution, but at least - for these individuals - their heart was in the right place.

 

Like I said, I'm quite sure there were some disgruntled parents in the mix - I'm not naive, and when you struggle to get wins, there's always some. And it wasn't something I would have wanted to see happen at a school my son went to...not a very good idea at all.

 

But my point remains the same, regardless. The South bashing on this thread has gotten ridiculous, and has ceased to be grounded in any fact. No spring ball? Be serious. Not serious about sports? Well, everyone has an opinion on what's "serious", but their athletic successes are numerous and their facilities are superb.

 

And like I said: 1) I'm not a South alum, 2) I have no kid at the school, and 3) I don't even live in the South district. But I do think the school has been unfairly represented here because of a small handful of idiot parents.

Edited by ColonelMike

I think that was a joke.

 

And readers are supposed to know that just how? Readers can't read minds, and at least one other poster took the comment seriously.

 

I'm beginning the believe that the folks posting erroneous and/or insulting info on here about SO are members or friends of the former coaching staff heck bent on trying to make SO look bad.

 

I've got no skin in this game. Don't know a soul at SO. We can debate until the cows come home as to whether the parents were justified in having the survey done. I've got no idea what efforts, if any, the former coaching staff and the parents made to communicate their respective positions and dissatisfaction. If the parents tried and the coaches blew them off, then that may justify the survey. Then again, maybe all the parents that had the survey done and participated in it are nothing but a bunch of whiney butts (although according to Colonel Mike, such wasn't the case) and the former coaching staff did every thing great. I just know from my extensive experience in dealing with a lot of coaches throughout this Commonwealth that not every coach given a whistle is a great coach. Perhaps the former coaching staff was great, but I'm not going to just say they were because they were coaches who put in a lot of time, effort and commitment.

 

And I know that as recently as 05 and 06 that SO put some very decent football teams on the field because my son played for Highlands and we played them those years. Exceptional? No, but better than a lot of other teams we played those years. I haven't seen SO play since then, but evidently the program dropped off after 06 according to what I've read on here (although I now don't know if any thing I've read on this thread was supposed to be a truthful statement or a joke). Were there any coaching changes since 06 that might have something to do with the down turn in the program's success? If so, might the parents and supporters of the program have a legit beef? Those are questions, not statements, because I don't know if that is the case. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of the situation can chime in.

Colonel Mike don't drink the cool aid. The parents involved in creating the survey are trying to say they did this to help and didn't want the coaching staff to leave are just saying that so they don't look bad.

Places that entertain parents and would even pay attention to a parent group with a survey in hand. Will not be successful in football. That is what you have here, maybe they do have nice facilities and all that, but if the office door is wide open to parents everytime they don't like something the program will fail in the long run. If the coaches need to answer to every complaint. Now the good thing is thier is a chance that SO will learn from this situation and the next coach may be a good fit and the kids and program can move on.

Sk-Kid gotta agree with you. Don't see why you need a survey to fix a communication issue. AD gets both parties in same room, hash things out, communication problem solved. The fact that the administration felt they needed to address the survey would lead me to believe that the parents have a unwarranted amount of say in the program.

C-Mike you make some good points regarding the rich history of SO athletics. But, they seem to put a huge onous on soccer. Last I heard Football program pays a usage fee on their game field and the Football program spends the least amount of time on the game field. (don't practice on it).Doesn't seem condusive to building a winning tradition. JMO

  • Author

In my opinion (which doesnt count for much) building a successful/competitive football program is different than having a good soccer team, wrestling, or basketball. Last time I heard, wrestling was an individual sport. Football just takes a total team effort in the film room, on the practice field, and during games. Plus, parents have to back the coaches in pusing their kids to work hard, be at practice, listen to the coaches, etc.

 

Does having a Mr. Soccer translate into having support for athletics? Didnt the soccer coach just leave and go somewhere else? You would think after having Mr. Soccer and having support, you would want to stay? Of course the Administration wants athletics to Win, but they don't do anything to support that. Otherwise, they would have not entertained the idea of a survey. If they did, why in the world has basically every football coach at South Oldham been ran out of town?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.