January 10, 201016 yr For every player like Williams there's 10 more that hit the wall at age 30. You can't afford to think that you're player is going to be the exception to the rule. That's how teams get stuck with players too long or invest money in veterans who never come close to their previous numbers. But not all of them take time off. He has only had 2 seasons with more than 200 carries. I am not saying write it in stone 6 years, I am not saying he will be 100% on top of his game. I am saying he has 6 good years left. Not to far-fetched to think he can still be the #1 runningback when he is 32.
January 10, 201016 yr Rushing the ball didn't seem to be the Bengals' problem this game or this year, whether the defenses were tipped off or not. No passing game and an unimaginative OC were the Bengals' problems. I didn't mean that it affected their running game. I was wondering if it made play action passes less effective. Since he had to make that awkward handoff with his right hand defenses would not have to respect the play fake if they picked up on it early enough. They had to know he couldn't use his left hand to make the handoff so if he used it to make the fake they should have been able to see he was going to pass. By the same token once he put it in his right hand to make a handoff there was really no good way for him to pull the ball out and throw it. Just a small thing but I'd have to think it did limit their play calling somewhat.
January 10, 201016 yr For every player like Williams there's 10 more that hit the wall at age 30. You can't afford to think that you're player is going to be the exception to the rule. That's how teams get stuck with players too long or invest money in veterans who never come close to their previous numbers. :thumb: Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Benson was absolutely brilliant this year, but there's no sense in locking him up with a big-time, long term contract.
January 10, 201016 yr :thumb: Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Benson was absolutely brilliant this year, but there's no sense in locking him up with a big-time, long term contract. Hold on now. I never said lock him into a 6 year deal. I said he still has 6 good years left.
January 10, 201016 yr The Bengals will beat the Jets. I'm calling this right now and I don't care what anyone says about what I'm about to say. They will go into Indy the next week and beat them to!!!!!!!! Guess that ain't happening either. DEY = JETS
January 10, 201016 yr Hold on now. I never said lock him into a 6 year deal. I said he still has 6 good years left. No way does someone who carries the ball as much as he does and in the style that he does have six good years left.
January 10, 201016 yr But not all of them take time off. He has only had 2 seasons with more than 200 carries. I am not saying write it in stone 6 years, I am not saying he will be 100% on top of his game. I am saying he has 6 good years left. Not to far-fetched to think he can still be the #1 runningback when he is 32. Most running backs that top 300 carries in a season have a hard time maintaining their level of production the next season. We'll see but I'd be willing to give 3-1 odds that Cedric Benson is not still the number 1 back at Cincinnati or elsewhere at age 32 given his size, running style and the questionable work ethic he's displayed for most of his career. Running backs are pretty easy to replace, however so it probably won't matter whether he is or not.
January 10, 201016 yr Hold on now. I never said lock him into a 6 year deal. I said he still has 6 good years left. I'd be shocked if Benson has 6 good years left. Maybe so, but the life of an NFL RB isn't very long.
January 10, 201016 yr Marvin Lewis showed to me, again, that he is horrible with game management. All season long he has shown how inept he is at managing the clock. But today, he used BOTH challenges IN THE 1ST QUARTER on 2 calls that were not even CLOSE to being controversial. Horrible game by Marvin. I really hope that we get a new offensive coordinator. I love the way that the Bengals run the ball, but you can tell that there is no rhythm on offense. Palmer and the WR's are not on the same page in terms of the routes. It's pretty pathetic. And it lasted all season. When we came out with a gameplan that involved an aerial attack (i.e. San Diego), we looked great. Every other week it seemed like we were completely lost if we were going to pass the ball. Get rid of Bratkowski. Shayne Graham is bad. He hasn't hit a clutch kick his entire career. Some of St. Louis's struggles can be attributed to Graham, but the fact remains that Brad St. Louis sucked too. Cutting St. Louis was the correct decision (and long overdue.) Graham should be gone, too. I hope we re-sign Mike Zimmer. I love the man's fire and he had the defense playing very well. All in all, I am disappointed. But, I am realistic. The Jets are a very, very good football team. Their biggest weakness is Sanchez at QB, and they did a great job of winning the game through other facets of the game. Sanchez is talented, but at the end of the day he's still a rookie. NY had a great gameplan & Sanchez handled the game brilliantly. As I said, I'm disappointed, yet I remain optimistic about the Bengals' future. Next season will be extremely challenging in terms of our schedule, but with a few changes in the staff (read: offensive coordinator) and a few additions (read: another playmaker on offense), we'll be alright. Solid post :thumb:
January 10, 201016 yr No way does someone who carries the ball as much as he does and in the style that he does have six good years left. Most running backs that top 300 carries in a season have a hard time maintaining their level of production the next season. We'll see but I'd be willing to give 3-1 odds that Cedric Benson is not still the number 1 back at Cincinnati or elsewhere at age 32 given his size, running style and the questionable work ethic he's displayed for most of his career. Running backs are pretty easy to replace, however so it probably won't matter whether he is or not. I'd be shocked if Benson has 6 good years left. Maybe so, but the life of an NFL RB isn't very long. In 5 years he has carried the ball more than 200 time twice. Once over 300 (301) Tomlinson- 30- 2880 Jones- 31- 2280 Williams- 33- 2164 Benson- 27- 935 Just a couple of the better RB's that are in their 30's with more than double the carries as Benson. I understand the whole " 30 year" life for RB's You have to take in account their amount of carries.
January 10, 201016 yr In 5 years he has carried the ball more than 200 time twice. Once over 300 (301) Tomlinson- 30- 2880 Jones- 31- 2280 Williams- 33- 2164 Benson- 27- 935 Just a couple of the better RB's that are in their 30's with more than double the carries as Benson. I understand the whole " 30 year" life for RB's You have to take in account their amount of carries. We'll see but there's a very good chance he'll have a drop off even next season. Most running backs with over 300 carries have one. He might be the exception to the rule but the odds are against him having 6 more seasons as a starting running back. I'm not saying it won't happen but the odds favor me being right.
January 10, 201016 yr Benson's long TD run was originally a flea flicker. Palmer audibled out of it & Benson broke one off.
January 10, 201016 yr Tough Loss for the Bengals. A game I really thought they would pull out. This team had a solid year and dealt with two deaths. Here is to next year and the first Steelers/Bengals game. :popcorn:
January 10, 201016 yr I believe Cincinnati has some of the poorest sports fans in the country as evidenced by this thread. They were picked anywhere from 4-7 wins by most of the national and local media and they win 10 games and their division and people are still miserable.
January 10, 201016 yr I believe Cincinnati has some of the poorest sports fans in the country as evidenced by this thread. They were picked anywhere from 4-7 wins by most of the national and local media and they win 10 games and their division and people are still miserable. :notworthy: Agree! I'm happy for the season we had. How many people picked us with 10 wins and in the playoffs!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.