RIP Chris Henry

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Henry threatened to kill himself as girlfriend drove off, witness says

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091217/SPT02/312170071/1066/Chris+Henry+911+calls+released

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - In the last conscious moments of Chris Henry’s life, the Bengals wide receiver begged the woman who has been credited for helping turn his life around to stop so they could talk or he would kill himself, a witness said.

Quantcast

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police verify that a domestic dispute jump-started the turn of events that led to fatal injuries Henry sustained after falling from a moving pickup Wednesday. Henry, who had a troubled past, was on medical leave visiting with his fiancée Loleini Tonga’s family when the fight began Wednesday afternoon.

They were to be wed in March.

Tonga’s neighbor, Lee Hardy, was perched on a 15-foot ladder cutting back some trees when he saw the yellow pickup “zooming” up the Tongas’ gravel driveway just a few yards away. Hardy said a shirtless black man clung to the top and side of the truck while standing in the bed, begging her to stop the vehicle.

“He was banging on the top, on the doors, screaming at the lady, ‘We need to talk,’” Hardy said. “He said, ‘If you take off, I’m going to jump off the truck and kill myself.’”

Hardy said she stopped, hesitating at the end of the driveway, and took off.

This is just such a horrible sad situation.

Chris Henry threatened to kill himself as girlfriend drove off, witness says

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091217/SPT02/312170071/1066/Chris+Henry+911+calls+released

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - In the last conscious moments of Chris Henry’s life, the Bengals wide receiver begged the woman who has been credited for helping turn his life around to stop so they could talk or he would kill himself, a witness said.

Quantcast

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police verify that a domestic dispute jump-started the turn of events that led to fatal injuries Henry sustained after falling from a moving pickup Wednesday. Henry, who had a troubled past, was on medical leave visiting with his fiancée Loleini Tonga’s family when the fight began Wednesday afternoon.

They were to be wed in March.

Tonga’s neighbor, Lee Hardy, was perched on a 15-foot ladder cutting back some trees when he saw the yellow pickup “zooming” up the Tongas’ gravel driveway just a few yards away. Hardy said a shirtless black man clung to the top and side of the truck while standing in the bed, begging her to stop the vehicle.

“He was banging on the top, on the doors, screaming at the lady, ‘We need to talk,’” Hardy said. “He said, ‘If you take off, I’m going to jump off the truck and kill myself.’”

Hardy said she stopped, hesitating at the end of the driveway, and took off.

This is just such a horrible sad situation.

The whole situation is so messed up right now I don't know what to believe.

We KNOW that Henry wasn't killed by the vehicle travelling at a slow speed.

That tells me that the driver DIDN'T slow down in order to stop the unfolding events.

So far, I have not been "sad" like some on BGP. I am closer to being angry. It appears like this did not just "happen" to Henry, but was apparently done "to him" to some degree. I look forward to having the facts to come out completely....

One more sad example of how we truly do not know what's going on with athletes when they're away from the camera. While he may have been trying to get better its obvious he still had his demons and was still a volatile young man.

I know for a fact that the Bengals were looking to put a some things in motion for him to do with his down time, being out with the injury and such.

Marvin Lewis was concerned with Chris being away from the field and they were in the process of putting something together, but it was to happen after he got back from NC....unfortunately it will not come to pass.

I wouldn't come to any conclusion myself based on what a witness claims he heard someone say. People sometimes say things to get someone to do something, in this case IF he made that comment to her, he may have just wanted her to stop, as she was not listening to him. IF he made that comment is does not mean he had any intention of actually doing it.

As was mentioned before, people sometimes do, and say, crazy things when they have a spouse, or in this case a partner. They had a disagreement over wedding plans is what is also being reported, I really do not think someone will make those comments and follow through on them just over wedding plans. It upsets me that some on other sites have mentioned domestic violence, so far it is only been said they had an argument, a disagreement, I wish people would not make things worse than they already are until the hear the facts what happened inside the home.

One thing I really haven't seen mentioned here, or on other boards that much. His left arm was in a cast, possibly in a sling too, so basically he really only had one arm. If he is banging on the back window with his right arm to get her to stop, he really did not have a good grip with his left, he could have lost his balance.

But still, if it was just over wedding plans, and so far it looks as if they were just arguing, when he wanted her to stay, and after he jumped into the bed of the truck, why didn't she stop?

One more sad example of how we truly do not know what's going on with athletes when they're away from the camera. While he may have been trying to get better its obvious he still had his demons and was still a volatile young man.

:thumb: Very true. While I, like everyone else is still in shock and saddened by the loss, I believe most are not shocked as to who it was.

• 9 years later...