Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mr. Football Candidates?

Who wins Mr. Football 2009-2010 258 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Mr. Football 2009-2010

    • Channing Fugate
      15%
    • Miles Simpson
      24%
    • Quan Weaver
      3%
    • Eric Shaw
      2%
    • Antonio Andrews
      6%
    • Tim Patterson
      1%
    • Austin Collinsworth
      20%
    • Jacob Russell
      1%
    • Other
      24%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Patterson only gets about 5-10 plays a game on offense.

It will be tough for him to win Mr. football. Maybe his role will increase as

the saeson goes on. Great athlete

  • Replies 177
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson only gets about 5-10 plays a game on offense.

It will be tough for him to win Mr. football. Maybe his role will increase as

the saeson goes on. Great athlete

 

:thumb:

 

I figured he'd be a longshot to because he's primarily a defensive guy. But, you never know.

I see no reason to think Fugate won't get a fair shot at Mr. Football. Often players from EKY don't get the press leading up to their senior seasons, so they aren't as widely known before their big year. Fugate doesn't have that problem...he enters the season as the top player in the state on some lists and in the top 5 on every list, he's had monster years as a sophomore and junior and the Bobcats played in the state finals last year.

 

Additionally, there aren't any stud prospects like a Bush, Brohm, et al who virtually have the award secured before the season starts.

 

Breathitt County has had some players get recognition before...Waylon Chapman finished second (I think) in Mr. Football voting as a senior, behind Tim Couch. Justin Haddix finished second behind Michael Bush. I can't argue with either of those decisions. Chapman wasn't better than Couch, and Couch himself was from EKY. Haddix led the Bobcats to a 15-0 record as a senior and had a monster year...statistically, one of the best in state history I'd say. (4000 + passing yards, 1000+ rushing yards, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 TD's when you combine passing, rushing and defense). But, no one in their right mind thought he was a better football player than Michael Bush. It was just unfortunate timing for him to be a senior the same year that a guy like Bush was.

 

Fugate has a great shot to win Mr. Football. The fact that he signed with a top tier SEC school like Tennessee only helps his cause.

 

It's still way early in the season, but if Fugate produces like he has the past two years and the Bobcats meet their pre-season expectations, he's got a great shot at walking away with the award.

 

I don't really think that it should matter where you are from but it is crazy to say that Eastern Kentucky doesn't get looked down upon when it comes to Mr. Football. I think that the last to do it was Tim Couch almost 15 years ago.:eek: I am from Lawrence County and just from my experience of football there you had the what was all-time leading receiver in KY history Gerad Parker and the 3rd all-time leading rusher in Michael West and his stats speak for themselves, but neither was really up for the hunt. Gerad at the time was 2nd in the nation all-time and got beat by highlands in the state semis and was a commit to Kentucky. And when you look at the state's all-time leading passer you see a lot of Eastern Kentucky boys. Might be me but they are a lot of good players in this area and in my opinion some of the best, but how many players are really deserving from Eastern Kentucky in the past that haven't got it. I hope that Fugate can change it all and that is why I hope that he wins it for this part of the state. He has got my vote.:ylsuper:

Very good point. I don't mean to count out Simon Kenton in the playoffs, but for curiosity's sake, when was the last time Mr. Football came from a non-contending team?

 

Pookie Jones at Calloway Co. I think they went 4-7 his last year there.

Ricky Harper-Bardstown. 225 yds. 3 TD's against North Hardin.

Maybe so but Caleb Watkins is not as good or productive IMO. Fugate and Watkins play comparable schedules (I think Breathitt County's schedule is quite a bit stronger, but some would argue) and Fugate has better numbers and carries his team deeper in the playoffs. I think Watkins is a darn good football player, but would still go with Fugate every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

 

 

Breathitt County

Aug 22, 09 Mercer County at Campbellsville 58 - 24 (W)

Aug 28, 09 Sheldon Clark away 7:30 PM

Sep 4, 09 Prestonsburg home 7:30 PM KRMC Honey Bowl

Sep 11, 09 Perry County Central home 7:30 PM

Sep 18, 09 Lexington Christian away 7:30 PM

Sep 25, 09 Johnson Central home 7:30 PM

Oct 2, 09 Hazard home 7:30 PM

Oct 9, 09 Estill County away 7:30 PM

Oct 16, 09 Powell County home 7:30 PM

Oct 23, 09 Magoffin County away 7:30 PM

 

 

Corbin

Aug 28, 09 Harlan away 7:30 PM

Sep 5, 09 Danville home 8:45 PM Cumberland Falls Pigskin Bowl

Sep 11, 09 North Laurel home 7:30 PM

Sep 18, 09 South Laurel away 7:30 PM

Sep 25, 09 Hazard home 7:30 PM

Oct 2, 09 George Rogers Clark away 7:30 PM

Oct 9, 09 Knott County Central away 7:30 PM

Oct 16, 09 Leslie County home 7:30 PM

Oct 23, 09 Middlesboro home 7:30 PM

Oct 30, 09 Lexington Christian away 7:30 PM

 

Watkins plays almost every down of every game. He rarely comes off the field. He is a significant part of the Redhound defense and offense. The number of carries he gets is split between 2 other players so the numbers that Caleb puts up will never match ---- however, I bet his per carry average is close. Also the athleticism and ability of these two players are IMO comparable.

Cortez Ricketts!!!! 3 touches 127 yds Receiving and 2 td's!!!

I don't really think that it should matter where you are from but it is crazy to say that Eastern Kentucky doesn't get looked down upon when it comes to Mr. Football. I think that the last to do it was Tim Couch almost 15 years ago.:eek: I am from Lawrence County and just from my experience of football there you had the what was all-time leading receiver in KY history Gerad Parker and the 3rd all-time leading rusher in Michael West and his stats speak for themselves, but neither was really up for the hunt. Gerad at the time was 2nd in the nation all-time and got beat by highlands in the state semis and was a commit to Kentucky. And when you look at the state's all-time leading passer you see a lot of Eastern Kentucky boys. Might be me but they are a lot of good players in this area and in my opinion some of the best, but how many players are really deserving from Eastern Kentucky in the past that haven't got it. I hope that Fugate can change it all and that is why I hope that he wins it for this part of the state. He has got my vote.:ylsuper:

 

I'm not saying they don't get less attention than other areas with more media...it's just the way it is.

 

I'm saying Fugate has an advantage that a lot of EKY kids don't get...he started getting seriously noticed last year, he lead his team to the state finals where he got to showcase his talent, and he got a lot of pre-season press with the UT thing and being touted as one of the top players in the state. He was on the front page of the Herald Leader's preview. Not many kids from EKY have all that going into their senior season. Channing Fugate doesn't fit the "poor old mountain boy that gets no attention" mold. He's as well known as anyone.

 

Each year is different...he just happens to be a senior in a year when there are no super studs from heavily populated areas.

 

Everything is in place to give him a great shot at winning the award. That doesn't mean he will, but if he doesn't, it won't be because he played for Breathitt County.

 

Statistically, I doubt you could find a more impressive season than Justin Haddix in 2002. He lead BC to a 15-0 season and a state championship...over 4000 yards passing, over 100 rushing, 58 TD passes and 20 or so TD's combined with rushing and defensively. He finished second to Michael Bush for Mr. Football. First, he didn't have that great of a junior season, so there was little hype about him, while Bush had been known since he was in middle school. Second, you have to account for the difference in competition. Third, Bush was simply the better player...regardless of stats, few people would argue that and no unbiased observers would have.

 

Who won Mr. Football when the guys you mentioned were seniors?

 

Signing with an out-of-state school or being from EKY doesn't exclude you from winning Mr. Football.

Watkins plays almost every down of every game. He rarely comes off the field. He is a significant part of the Redhound defense and offense. The number of carries he gets is split between 2 other players so the numbers that Caleb puts up will never match ---- however, I bet his per carry average is close. Also the athleticism and ability of these two players are IMO comparable.

 

If the athleticism and ability are comparable then his numbers should also be comparable with what I would call a weaker schedule. Fugate plays almost every down also and is one of the main players in the Breathitt Co. defense as well. Not trying to take anything away from Watkins, I'm sure he is a wonderful player, but Fugate is special and IMO the best back in the state hands down.

How big is Watkins?

 

I'd say Fugate would average 12-15 yards per touch. Just a guess.

How big is Watkins?

 

I'd say Fugate would average 12-15 yards per touch. Just a guess.

 

Watkins is 6'1" 210lbs. he probably averages around 9-12 yards per carry. His best 40 was a 4.43 (timed by and can be verified by UK coaches); his best shuttle was a 4.16 (also timed and can be verified by UK coaches) he bench presses 330lbs.; cleans 315; and squats 515lbs. He has a 36" vertical; his best broad jump was measured at 10'6". I am not saying he should get Mr. Football or that he should beat out Channing. However, he should be in the mix of this discussion and is one of the best athletes among those mentioned for the class of 2010. He won't get the coverage because of being from a 2A school but several Division I teams have been contacting him and are still showing great interest. This would include UK, WKU, Vandy, Eastern, and Ivy League schools such as Harvard and Dartmouth and he has a full ride offer from Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC. There are many outstanding athletes in the class of 2010 but most will not be considered for Mr. Football. Just saying.

If the athleticism and ability are comparable then his numbers should also be comparable with what I would call a weaker schedule. Fugate plays almost every down also and is one of the main players in the Breathitt Co. defense as well. Not trying to take anything away from Watkins, I'm sure he is a wonderful player, but Fugate is special and IMO the best back in the state hands down.

 

How can numbers be comparable when you don't get as many carries per game? Maybe I am missing something here. For the record, Channing is an awesome athlete and deserves the honor I was just trying to point out that sometimes stats are deceiving when comparing athletes for a variety of reasons.

How can numbers be comparable when you don't get as many carries per game? Maybe I am missing something here. For the record, Channing is an awesome athlete and deserves the honor I was just trying to point out that sometimes stats are deceiving when comparing athletes for a variety of reasons.

 

I was just curious about Watkins. And, you're right about the stats...a lot of it has to do with opportunity and talent around you. They certainly help to get attention, but most football people can tell how good a player is regardless of their numbers. :thumb:

I was just curious about Watkins. And, you're right about the stats...a lot of it has to do with opportunity and talent around you. They certainly help to get attention, but most football people can tell how good a player is regardless of their numbers. :thumb:

I agree. As for Watkins, I believe he will get more attention as the season goes on. Corbin's watered down schedule doesnt help anyone get noticed but yards per carry does. Watkins will be a good pick up for any school and we wish him good luck. Hopefully we'll see him in Wildcat blue.

Def, Rees Macshara, Boyle Co!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.