Manual/Highlands Predictions

Manual/Highlands Predictions  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Manual/Highlands Predictions

• Manual
    • Highlands

In average years this would be the game everyone in the state would be talking about, but this is not an average Highlands team. This group of Bluebirds has the potential to be the best Highlands football team ever. That means something considering the talent that has graced the halls at Fort Thomas. I don't think they are the best Highlands team yet, but if they run the table they will have at least one vote.

I will say this, if this Highlands team really is as close to the 1998 team as you think then this will not be a close game. That team was really in a league of its own, I think any preseason comparison to them is very premature.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not buying into the statement that they do not run up scores.

scores from last year

26-6 Ryle

18-33 Colerain

70-6 Holmes

55-28 Dixie

61-0 Cov cath

48-21 Hopkinsville

63-13 Scott

41-0 Lex Cath

46-0 Madison Central

28-0 Lousiville?

playoffs

28-22

53-6

35-21

42-16

35-15

and I'm not sure if his team goal last year was to be ranked number 1 in the country? This years team is much better and the scores will be much worse.

The scores might be "worse" this year. If you an opposing team and you don't like it, get better and prevent it. Have your entire team at weights the day after your season ends. Start conditioning and practicing the day after school ends in June. Practice almost every day the entire summer other that the Dead Period. And I'm not talking some of the players on the team. I'm talking dang close to 100% at every practice and conditioning session. It's that blooming simple. Read what other N. Ky coaches said about Highlands work ethic in today's Enquirer.

I offer no apologies for Highlands winning big. None. Mueller regularly pulls his starters out at half if he's up big. He then inserts his back ups and let's them play to score. Neither you, I, nor Mueller ever knows when a starter will get hurt and the back up is needed to start and must play well or the team loses. Mueller would be a fool not to let that player get as good as possible running the offense when the kid is playing in a mop up role. Particularly when most opponents keep their starters in.

It's also a reason why Highlands is good year after year. In most years, a lot of starters were JV players the prior year. Because they got a lot of experience in varsity games in a mop up role actually running the offense and playing full tilt defense they are very experienced even though they may not have started the prior year.

No apologies from this Highlands fan for lop sided scores.

I will say this, if this Highlands team really is as close to the 1998 team as you think then this will not be a close game. That team was really in a league of its own, I think any preseason comparison to them is very premature.

Cover did say has the potential to be the best Highlands team ever. And he is right by the way. Whether they will play up to that potential remains to be seen.

Win 'em one game--one play--at a time, Birds! You have great potential, but you have to make it happen. You have to prove the high expectations to be accurate. Reputation never put points on the board, and hype never stopped a scoring drive.

Well stated my friend. Well stated. :thumb:

From a Manual perspective I believe that the key to this game will be turnovers. If Manual's young offense cannot hold onto the football we don't have a prayer, if we do I actually like our chances and believe the game will be close.

I'm really not as concerned about Highlands blowing up a score on us. Since coach Nichols has been around Manual his defenses have always been pretty sturdy and he has seen them all, the Brohm's, the Bush's, the Anderson's. If Highlands can put 7 TD's on our defense then god bless em they are a truly great team.

Anybody going to Flabby's Tavern or Checks Cafe?The stadium is located in the Germantown area and both places serve German and other food.A couple German beers before the blowout!The bar food is highly rated at both places.

There's a new place down the street from Manual Stadium across the street from Check's. A place called Zeppelin. It's in the old Heitzman's bakery building. Not your typical bar food but they've got some good Irish beers on tap. It's pretty good!!

Highlands 48

Manual 14

Highlands is always very strong and so well coached. Manual is never as good as people think they will be in their good years.... and they are supposed to be down this year.

The scores might be "worse" this year. If you an opposing team and you don't like it, get better and prevent it. Have your entire team at weights the day after your season ends. Start conditioning and practicing the day after school ends in June. Practice almost every day the entire summer other that the Dead Period. And I'm not talking some of the players on the team. I'm talking dang close to 100% at every practice and conditioning session. It's that blooming simple. Read what other N. Ky coaches said about Highlands work ethic in today's Enquirer.

I offer no apologies for Highlands winning big. None. Mueller regularly pulls his starters out at half if he's up big. He then inserts his back ups and let's them play to score. Neither you, I, nor Mueller ever knows when a starter will get hurt and the back up is needed to start and must play well or the team loses. Mueller would be a fool not to let that player get as good as possible running the offense when the kid is playing in a mop up role. Particularly when most opponents keep their starters in.

It's also a reason why Highlands is good year after year. In most years, a lot of starters were JV players the prior year. Because they got a lot of experience in varsity games in a mop up role actually running the offense and playing full tilt defense they are very experienced even though they may not have started the prior year.

No apologies from this Highlands fan for lop sided scores.

I have a question for the Highlands faithful. Since X and T don't have regular games this week, and many players being scouted by U of L and possibly UK, does Dale leave these players in regardless of the score to get more recognition, knowing that there will many college recruiters in attendance?

I have a question for the Highlands faithful. Since X and T don't have regular games this week, and many players being scouted by U of L and possibly UK, does Dale leave these players in regardless of the score to get more recognition, knowing that there will many college recruiters in attendance?

Your question rests on the assumption that Highlands will be up big and will be in a position to pull the starters. I think that such assumption is bit overly optimistic.

In the event the assumption turns out to be correct and we do end up big at half, Dale might let them come back for one series in the second half, but I don't expect Dale to do anything differenc just because there are recruiters in attendance. Frankly I'd be mad as all get out with Dale if Roller was left in late in the game, while we had a big lead, and blew out his knee again.

scores from last year

26-6 Ryle

18-33 Colerain

70-6 Holmes

55-28 Dixie

61-0 Cov cath

48-21 Hopkinsville

63-13 Scott

41-0 Lex Cath

46-0 Madison Central

28-0 Lousiville?

playoffs

28-22

53-6

35-21

42-16

35-15

and I'm not sure if his team goal last year was to be ranked number 1 in the country? This years team is much better and the scores will be much worse.

Just an example of why HIGHLANDS is so good year after year! Everyone gets a chance to play and better themselves! :dancingpa

scores from last year

26-6 Ryle

18-33 Colerain

70-6 Holmes

55-28 Dixie

61-0 Cov cath

48-21 Hopkinsville

63-13 Scott

41-0 Lex Cath

46-0 Madison Central

28-0 Lousiville?

playoffs

28-22

53-6

35-21

42-16

35-15

They didn't run it up on CovCath. I believe that you score as many points as you can in the first half, and then you take your starters out after the first drive of the 2nd half. If you give up over 40 pts in that time, then the problem isn't with Highlands running up the score, the problem is with your team.