August 2, 200917 yr Only a jerk like Cal would cut a walk-on about to be a senior, but then again nothing surprises me with that man. So far I see the reason that many people put on here, is about to be a senior.
August 2, 200917 yr I feel bad for the walk-ons but wouldnt it be worse to keep them and say "I have too many for practice you guys go stand by the wall over there"?
August 2, 200917 yr Lots of overreacting in this thread. He made a decision that he feels is best for the program, it wasn't as if he murdered these kids, they got cut. Guess what, many of us have been cut from a team before in life, it happens, and look how we turned out.....wait, bad example.........
August 2, 200917 yr There are thousands of KY high school basketball players who would love to walk on at UK. Most of them would work very hard, be good teammates, good students, etc. These kids got a chance to do that under Gillispie. They should embrace the opportunity they were given. Calapari is a class guy because he had the guts to make the move that is best for the program in his opinion. He didn't try to run them off or disrespect them by letting them be in the Cat's Pause and then not doing any more than the managers in practice. He called them in, told them his vision for the program and let them know that he and his staff would help them get to a place that CAN use their talent and ability. Real leaders aren't afraid to make these types of changes because they KNOW that it is in the best interest of the program.[/QUOTE] This is the smartest thing I have read on this thread so far.......But don't let me stop the rest of you.:popcorn:
August 2, 200917 yr I'm all for the walk-on but it is time for a change at Kentucky. I do wish Perry could have stayed but this is not Tubby Smith or Billy Gillispie's cats anymore. It's coach Cal's team and I think it is his right and place to decide who stays and who goes. Five years from now Perry wouldnt even get a second look because the talent level at Kentucky is going to be sooo much better than it has been the last decade.
August 2, 200917 yr Author These two guys are going to have a great chance to succeed at the NAIA level.
August 2, 200917 yr I feel bad for the walk-ons but wouldnt it be worse to keep them and say "I have too many for practice you guys go stand by the wall over there"? That I would have no problem with because that is the nature of a walk-on.
August 3, 200917 yr With the way people on here went on about the possible hiring of Calipari, I'm not surprised by the way some have reacted about this.
August 3, 200917 yr Please, just let our coach, coach. Don't focus on negatives, see all of the positives in your day and for that matter in UK basketball. Go CATS!!
August 3, 200917 yr That I would have no problem with because that is the nature of a walk-on. Well just pretend he did say that, but that "over there" is in Georgetown.
August 3, 200917 yr Well just pretend he did say that, but that "over there" is in Georgetown. :lol: Actually laughed out loud.
August 3, 200917 yr There are thousands of KY high school basketball players who would love to walk on at UK. Most of them would work very hard, be good teammates, good students, etc. These kids got a chance to do that under Gillispie. They should embrace the opportunity they were given. Calapari is a class guy because he had the guts to make the move that is best for the program in his opinion. He didn't try to run them off or disrespect them by letting them be in the Cat's Pause and then not doing any more than the managers in practice. He called them in, told them his vision for the program and let them know that he and his staff would help them get to a place that CAN use their talent and ability. Real leaders aren't afraid to make these types of changes because they KNOW that it is in the best interest of the program. This is the smartest thing I have read on this thread so far.......But don't let me stop the rest of you.:popcorn: Thanks for the props:ylsuper::thumb::banana:
August 3, 200917 yr Getting rid of walk ons would not be the problem I see. The timing though is bad. Why not get rid of them when you were cutting the scholarship guys so they had an opportunity (if they chose to) to play some place else??????
August 3, 200917 yr If Markie gets a scholarship, as he mentioned on his site as a possibility, it will be an incredibly heart warming story.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.