July 31, 200917 yr Not at all but that's a totally different situations. The good majority of assistant coaches have no true vested interest in the long term welfare of the program. They're assistant coaches because they want to be head coaches one day. Totally different for players (especially walk ons who are likely going to be a part of the program for four years) who usually become fan favorites because of their role on the team. We'll just have to disagree. I believe an assistant coach has more interest in a program than a walk-on player. When a new coach comes in, he brings in coaches who are in with his style. He does the same thing with players. I've never seen so many people get in a twist over walk-on players who never see the floor. People don't bat an eye when he tells scholarship players there is no room in the program for them, but get in a twist when he tells walk-ons to hit the road.
July 31, 200917 yr Please refresh me here, how did Perry help the team in any way. I didn't see him score a point, get a rebound, or dish out an assist all year. The only thing i saw him do is act like a moron on the bench. Exactly the wrong mentality which I already addressed. Walk-ons are on the team for none of the reasons you mentioned above. Your post discredits and devalues the hard work and dedication that walk-ons give to programs (not just UK).
July 31, 200917 yr Exactly. Thank you. No idea what you proved with me saying I wasn't Coach Cal. I thought everyone knew that. Hmmm He evidently has his reasons. He said when he first came there would not be a lot of walkons on the team next year. Exactly. I dont know why its such a big deal?!?
July 31, 200917 yr No big deal. These kids are walk-ons. Why keep Perry? Just because he is a senior just means he is a guy that has been around to long. No need to keep walk-ons if they don't make you better.
July 31, 200917 yr Because Perry has given his heart and soul and 3+ years to this program just so he can sit on the bench and wear the jersey. He knows his role and he knows it's not on the court and he's taken on that role very well. He's the one who shows recruits around, he's got a great personality and he's given alot more to this program than most guys on the roster. Is it in the form of points and rebounds? No. But it's intangible stuff and you need guys like that on the roster. A bad move by Cal, bottom line. Cal has done nearly everything right. This isn't one of those things. It's not like Perry ever thought he was gonna play. He knows his role and was very content and even successful with it. Great post. I have loved nearly everything Coach Calipari has done, ... except this. Perry was a great ambassador for the program, and unless their was disciplinary action, I disagree with this move. I still like Coach Cal, ... just disagree that this was for the best. Being a senior does mean something, ... being at senior at UK means even more.
July 31, 200917 yr It is probably a big deal to the walk on's. However, with that being said, they are walk on's. There is no promise of next year, no matter who the coach is/would have been. Being a walk on, I"m sure they knew this could eventually happen. They can still pursue other interests. I'm sure Coach Osborne at Georgetown would like to see them on campus, as would other NAIA D-1 Schools. I wish them the best, but in reality, they should have never been there in the first place.
July 31, 200917 yr It is probably a big deal to the walk on's. However, with that being said, they are walk on's. There is no promise of next year, no matter who the coach is/would have been. Being a walk on, I"m sure they knew this could eventually happen. They can still pursue other interests. I'm sure Coach Osborne at Georgetown would like to see them on campus, as would other NAIA D-1 Schools. I wish them the best, but in reality, they should have never been there in the first place. :thumb: Exactly, walking on to a major program like UK is a priviledge, not a right, and they should take their time there for what it was worth.
July 31, 200917 yr I hate to see Perry go bc he has been so dedicated, having said that this move couldn't be all that suprising to anyone. Otis Campbell (Gillispie) had something like 20-22 players on the roster counting the many walk ons (I still have never figured that out as to why) that lets face it, really had no shot at playing.
July 31, 200917 yr Here is what Coach Cal had to say on his website: Before the weekend gets underway, I wanted to talk to everyone about our decision not to have the large number of walk-on players some of you may have become accustomed to in recent years. In my 17 years of college coaching, I have very rarely had walk-ons and when I have it’s usually been another student-athlete, who could help us in practice or game situations because of his size, speed or skill level. I find my practices run at optimum performance when there are 12-13 players. Any more than that and we’re not able to accomplish what I want in each practice. Believe me, I appreciate the work and effort that goes into being a walk-on. In meeting with the most recent group of walk-ons, we let all of them know how much the UK family appreciated their hard work and dedication to Wildcat basketball. Any of the former walk-ons who want to transfer and try and play elsewhere will have my staff’s full cooperation in helping them. I can tell you that we are considering a scholarship position on the team for walk-on Mark Krebs, but we still have some things to decide on that front. I will keep you posted. If we do, at any time, decide to have walk-on tryouts, I will be sure to let everyone know. I wish we would could make every young boy’s dream come true to suit up in the blue and white, but that’s just not possible. We want to be as fair and as forthright with everyone as we can be. Thanks for listening to my explanation and have a great weekend. Go Big Blue! -Coach Cal
July 31, 200917 yr I like it eventhough there are down falls also. Having coached before, having too many players can be a problem in getting everything done. You can be a "mean guy" and tell them to step aside so the better players can get their workout in or you can just send them home. I like this move because on this team not 1% of walk-ons are ever going to see the floor. Too talented and too high of expectations. The down fall to this is that one 1% could be a Cameron Mills. If my memory serves me correct then he was a walk-on, but then again he is the 1% exception that actually contributes.
July 31, 200917 yr I like it eventhough there are down falls also. Having coached before, having too many players can be a problem in getting everything done. You can be a "mean guy" and tell them to step aside so the better players can get their workout in or you can just send them home. I like this move because on this team not 1% of walk-ons are ever going to see the floor. Too talented and too high of expectations. The down fall to this is that one 1% could be a Cameron Mills. If my memory serves me correct then he was a walk-on, but then again he is the 1% exception that actually contributes. You make a good point. Why have 20 players on a team when you probably need 2 strings plus some change? Because you want the best performance in your practices and on the court
July 31, 200917 yr Are the same people griping about letting walk-ons go the same people that were so anxious to get rid of the scholarship players to make room for the stud recruits?
August 1, 200917 yr Lose alot of respect for Cal with this move...mainly because of Perry. Weak move on his part. Agree 100%...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.