Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jodie Meeks vs. Chris Lofton

Featured Replies

I'm not going to read this thread, because I can already tell what I'm going to read. Mason County fans will say Lofton. Everyone else will say Meeks.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's part of a draftexpress article written after Lofton played at the Portsmouth Invitational

 

Lofton’s shooting form still looks as good as ever, with completely textbook form and a beautiful stroke; the only thing you can criticize him for is shot selection, as he doesn’t seem to differentiate much between what good and bad shots are. He’s capable of hitting incredible, off-balanced, step-back, contested jumpers from NBA three-point range, but he relies on them too much, and he didn’t adjust his game at all here at Portsmouth, where shots shouldn’t have been as hard to come by.

 

To highlight just how much Lofton’s shot selection hurts him, we will cite some stats from Synergy Sports Technology, which has logged almost every game Lofton’s played this year. On spot-up jumpers where he’s unguarded, Lofton scores 1.58 points per possession. On spot-up jumpers where he’s guarded, Lofton scores 1.17 PPP. On jumpers off the dribble, he scores 0.84 PPP. But of all his jump shots, only approximately 21% of them are unguarded spot-up jumpers. Looking at these numbers, its clear Lofton could be a much more efficient player with better shot selection.

 

As for the rest of Lofton’s offense, not much has changed from what we observed in our preseason preview of the SEC. While he shows nice craftiness and the ability to change speeds to get to the basket, along with good creativity and touch with his array of finger rolls, scoop shots, and floaters at the basket, Lofton doesn’t really blow you away with his athleticism and he doesn’t get much elevation in the lane, which doesn’t bode well for this area of his game translating to the next level.

 

Much is still the same on the defensive end as well, as while Lofton shows a good fundamental stance and puts in the effort, he just doesn’t really have the lateral quickness to consistently stay in front of opponents, and his size will be a definite concern at the shooting guard position at the next level. He doesn’t really have any length to speak of either, which pretty much means that he’s bound to be a defensive liability any way you spell it.

I'm not going to read this thread, because I can already tell what I'm going to read. Mason County fans will say Lofton. Everyone else will say Meeks.

 

Not completely. While I don't root against Mason County, they are not my school of choice. UK is my basketball team of choice. But, bias plays in with Jodie Meeks. So many people have went on and on about the guy to me and I just don't see it. He is a good shooter, but he cannot attack the basket at all. He is a one trick pony. So is Lofton, but Lofton is better at the trick. Meeks would be a great 2nd option for a college team, but to me he was not a great scorer for the amount of shots he took or at least it seemed like he took. UK fans always look for someone to tout as great, before the season it was Patterson, it used to be Hayes, and it's all wrong. Yes, any team would take them, but they were extremely overrated by the UK fan base, IMO. Meeks falls into this, maybe almost as bad as Hayes.

  • Author
I'm not going to read this thread, because I can already tell what I'm going to read. Mason County fans will say Lofton. Everyone else will say Meeks.

 

Not true at all. I am from Mason County and a UK fan and never did I say Lofton is better. I believe the two are very much alike. After Meeks decision, I just wanted to know why Meeks would get drafted and Lofton did not. It has nothing to do with Mason County.

I'm not going to read this thread, because I can already tell what I'm going to read. Mason County fans will say Lofton. Everyone else will say Meeks.

 

You make a point there,so I say Meeks is better.:ylsuper:

 

I'm not from Mason Co.:D

Not completely. While I don't root against Mason County, they are not my school of choice. UK is my basketball team of choice. But, bias plays in with Jodie Meeks. So many people have went on and on about the guy to me and I just don't see it. He is a good shooter, but he cannot attack the basket at all. He is a one trick pony. So is Lofton, but Lofton is better at the trick. Meeks would be a great 2nd option for a college team, but to me he was not a great scorer for the amount of shots he took or at least it seemed like he took. UK fans always look for someone to tout as great, before the season it was Patterson, it used to be Hayes, and it's all wrong. Yes, any team would take them, but they were extremely overrated by the UK fan base, IMO. Meeks falls into this, maybe almost as bad as Hayes.

 

2nd team All-America is pretty freakin good. How overrated could UK fans really make him?

It's simple...

-Meeks is 6'5 and Lofton isn't.

-Meeks is much more athletic and can get to the rim much easier in the NBA.

-Meeks is quicker and longer.

-Meeks has the POTENTIAL to be a very good NBA defender and not so much with Chris.

 

I like Lofton and he was a great college player. I would personally rather have Meeks in college, but you can make an arguement for both and neither person would be wrong.

 

Basically all I am saying is Jodie has a ton of potential and Lofton has basically reached his peak.

It's simple...

-Meeks is 6'5 and Lofton isn't.

-Meeks is much more athletic and can get to the rim much easier in the NBA.

-Meeks is quicker and longer.

-Meeks has the POTENTIAL to be a very good NBA defender and not so much with Chris.

 

I like Lofton and he was a great college player. I would personally rather have Meeks in college, but you can make an arguement for both and neither person would be wrong.

 

Basically all I am saying is Jodie has a ton of potential and Lofton has basically reached his peak.

 

:thumb:

Nice breakdown!

2nd team All-America is pretty freakin good. How overrated could UK fans really make him?

 

Don't you remember the "Who's better Meeks or Curry" debates?

 

And you don't know the UK fans I know. Many would have taken Meeks over any player in America, which is garbage. Meeks was a good player don't get me wrong, but other than a nice stroke he was the benefactor of having zero talent (minus Patterson) around him.

 

It's simple...

-Meeks is 6'5 and Lofton isn't.

-Meeks is much more athletic and can get to the rim much easier in the NBA.

-Meeks is quicker and longer.

-Meeks has the POTENTIAL to be a very good NBA defender and not so much with Chris.

 

I like Lofton and he was a great college player. I would personally rather have Meeks in college, but you can make an arguement for both and neither person would be wrong.

 

Basically all I am saying is Jodie has a ton of potential and Lofton has basically reached his peak.

 

I would have to disagree that Meeks can get to the basket better. Lofton wasn't horrible going to the hoop, and Meeks got into alot of trouble when he went to the basket, IMO. He isn't a strong finisher near the hoop, which is odd when you consider the measurables he has such as decent high, good leaping ability, quickness, etc.

 

The difference in the two to me is that Lofton used every bit of the ability he had, Meeks has more potential but need to work on alot, and I mean ALOT of things. I'm not saying Meeks didn't play hard because he did, I'm just saying that he has yet to really reach his potential and ridding the NBA bench is probably not the way to do it. Lofton really couldn't add anything more because of his height and athleticism, so he learned to play using all of his skill set.

It's simple...

-Meeks is 6'5 and Lofton isn't.

-Meeks is much more athletic and can get to the rim much easier in the NBA.

-Meeks is quicker and longer.

-Meeks has the POTENTIAL to be a very good NBA defender and not so much with Chris.

 

I like Lofton and he was a great college player. I would personally rather have Meeks in college, but you can make an arguement for both and neither person would be wrong.

 

Basically all I am saying is Jodie has a ton of potential and Lofton has basically reached his peak.

 

Disagree.

I like Meeks more because he played at UK, with that being said I may have taken Lofton if he wore the blue and white instead of rival orange. I wish he had been recruited harder by OTS.

Don't you remember the "Who's better Meeks or Curry" debates?

 

And you don't know the UK fans I know. Many would have taken Meeks over any player in America, which is garbage. Meeks was a good player don't get me wrong, but other than a nice stroke he was the benefactor of having zero talent (minus Patterson) around him.

 

 

 

I would have to disagree that Meeks can get to the basket better. Lofton wasn't horrible going to the hoop, and Meeks got into alot of trouble when he went to the basket, IMO. He isn't a strong finisher near the hoop, which is odd when you consider the measurables he has such as decent high, good leaping ability, quickness, etc.

 

The difference in the two to me is that Lofton used every bit of the ability he had, Meeks has more potential but need to work on alot, and I mean ALOT of things. I'm not saying Meeks didn't play hard because he did, I'm just saying that he has yet to really reach his potential and ridding the NBA bench is probably not the way to do it. Lofton really couldn't add anything more because of his height and athleticism, so he learned to play using all of his skill set.

 

I really don't know why you have such a problem with Meeks. Benefactor of less talent is not a good thing. Plus it seems after the Arkansas game Billy was a little jealous of Jodie and did the best job guarding him than anyone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.