St. Xavier 8 Covington Catholic 6

Park1221

I look forward to the TOG recap.

I am going to jump outside the lines and give it to you:

Louisville St. Xavier 8 Covington Catholic 6

As good as the “D” was in the LexChristian game, the “D” quite honestly let Brandon Nutini down big time. Not sure but maybe, just maybe getting up at 6:30/7:00 am isn't what the CovCath players like doing on a weekend, as they just weren't ready for the game at 9am.

In the first two innings the CovCath “D” committed four errors that lead to three St. X unearned runs, before waking up to make a game of it. Nutini pitched well enough to get a “W”, but as I stated before, he didn't receive any support at all, in the first three innings, as St. X took a 3/0 lead on CovCath.

I would at this point be remiss not to say (and I realize that in saying this, it will cause others to get on me but…..) the umpire calling the balls and strikes in this game was a joke. Theoldguy doesn't complain about the men in blue all that much and all I expect from the man behind the plate is to be consistent but this gentleman was consistent, in only that he was constantly inconsistent in his calling balls and strikes. Enough said….

CovCath came to life in the fifth inning, a single by Stayton, a single by Martin and a HBP to Nutini and the bases are loaded with no one out and Logan Siemer up. Logan with a 1-2 count gets a RBI single to knock in Stayton with the first CovCath run of the game but with no outs and the bases loaded, the St. X pitchers gets Maile and Darner each to hit into a fc, to force out first Martin and then Nutini at the plate. Two outs, bases still loaded and Isler on a 1-0 pitch hits a single to score two more runs. So CovCath after their bat in the fifth, is noe tied 3-3.

In the St. X half of the fifth, X scores three runs as their first batter hits a double, then the next two batters go first SF 8 (runner to third), then SF to 8 (to score the run). So X takes the lead by a score of 4-3 with two outs, but then Nutini gives up two straight singles and a double and the score after five complete is X 7 CovCath 3.

CovCath does nothing in their half of the sixth but in the X half of the sixth with Schlagbaum now pitching X scores one run. So now CovCath is down to the seventh inning with the score 8-3.

In the CovCath seventh Siemer get a single, Maile get a double and Darner gets a double to knock in two runs to make the score 8-5 with no outs and RD at second base. Isler goes 4-3 for the first out, then Lafever pops up 4, but Holocher get HPB and Stayton gets a rbi single to knock in Darner to make it 8-5 before Martin pops up to end he inning.

The good: CovCath hitting! CovCath had a total of 11 hits against the 8th ranked Tigers today and after the third inning CovCath doesn’t commit another error in the game. Nutini pitching: Nute did give up four earned runs and with the six we scored, he should have gotten the win.

The bad: As I stated, the “D”. Just far too many errors to beat a good team like X. BTW did anyone notice besides me, that both games that CovCath has lost so far this season were by the same score of 8-6? CovCath just left far too many runners on base.

The ugly: Man the wind was just a blowing today, and I felt sorry for the outfielders of both teams.

CovCath hitters:

Nutini 4 PA 1 hit 1 k and 1 hbp

Siemer 4 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits and 1 rbi

Maile 4 PA 2 runs scored 2 hits double and 1 fc

Darner 4 PA 1 run scored 2 hits double 2 rbi’s and 1 fc

Isler 4 PA 1 hit and 2 rbi’s

Lafever PA 4 1 walk

Holocher 4 PA and 1 hbp

Stayton 4 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and 1 rbi

Martin 4 PA 1 hit

CovCath pitching:

Nutini (2-2)

88 pitches 5 complete innings 27 PA 7 hits 7 runs 3 earned runs 1 walk 1 k

Schlagbaum

9 pitches 1 complete inning 5 PA 2 hits 1 run 1 earned run

CovCath in now 16-2 and will play the number 1 ranked team in the Commonwealth, Owensboro Apollo in about a half an hour

Originally Posted by Blue Magic

The pitch hit him and literally bounced into the zone. There is no way it was in the strike zone originally because it hit him in the triceps area. If the catcher drops that ball its a clear HBP but somehow it went right in the mit.

Our pitcher and catcher didn't see it hit the batter...but if your player says it hit him I'll accept that. I will say that I saw nothing close to the ball "bouncing into the zone". It must have been one stich from the ball that tickled his tricep because the catcher didn't have to move his glove to adjust to any change in the ball's flight. It's then a judgment call as whether the ball was in the strike zone at the point of contact. And yes the tricep could have been in the strike zone if the hitter was looking for something on the outside part of the plate(he was down in the count, not an unreasonable guess on his part) and triggered his hands to reach for something outside. The first gesture by the umpire was a ring up called third. He shouldn't change that call based on the batter's reaction.

Sounds like St.X is loaded with good young picthers.

For the 21 innings of the LIT, 3 sophmores logged 12 innings, a freshmen threw 7 and a junior 2. As talented as our younger pitchers are, X needs their senior pitchers to get healthy to get out of district and make a run in the 7th.