Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mean to players

Featured Replies

Was Billy G abusive to his players?

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends on your definition of the term "abusive."

 

From the sounds of it, the way Gillispie handled/handles his players would be perfectly acceptable in the old days. Players are so coddled nowadays from middle school on up that coaches don't get much of a chance to use "tough love" without players wanting to whine and/or transfer. Still, even by the standards of the '60s and '70s, BCG's style would be considered abusive (if you believe everything you read/hear about him).

I can tell you that his language during games and practices as VERY abusive. I don't have a problem with a guy using a curse word here or there, but he couldn't complete a sentence without one. And he was very derogatory towards his players as well.

I can tell you that his language during games and practices as VERY abusive. I don't have a problem with a guy using a curse word here or there, but he couldn't complete a sentence without one. And he was very derogatory towards his players as well.

 

I spent a day watching UC's men's and women's practice under Bob Huggins and Laura Pirtle.

 

Didn't hear a single cussword from Coach Huggins during the 4-hour men's practice. Heard many and especially the big one that begins with the 6th letter of the alphabet many times from Coach Pirtle.

 

Know a former player under Coach Locke-Mattox. Said that same word was used all the time by her.

 

I always found that interesting.

Was Billy G abusive to his players?
Only because he lost. Had he won he would have been a "hard nosed disciplinarian".

I've heard he was abusive to his players, and not just verbally abusive. I believe this is the major reason Barnhart stepped in and made a change when he did.

I've heard he was abusive to his players, and not just verbally abusive. I believe this is the major reason Barnhart stepped in and made a change when he did.

 

 

I to agree with this. My nephew was in a couple classe's with one of the freshman on the Team. I really don't want to say witch one, but he told my nephew on more than one occasion that he thought BCG was a "mean" person. He said once that he thought the coach felt so much pressure to win, that he told the Team that, if you guys don't win, you will be considered losers by the whole nation. After the home loss to Georgia, he told the Team that U'conn's women Team would beat them by double digits. Again, this is info that my nephew heard from a freshman who was in a couple of classe's with him.

I to agree with this. My nephew was in a couple classe's with one of the freshman on the Team. I really don't want to say witch one, but he told my nephew on more than one occasion that he thought BCG was a "mean" person. He said once that he thought the coach felt so much pressure to win, that he told the Team that, if you guys don't win, you will be considered losers by the whole nation. After the home loss to Georgia, he told the Team that U'conn's women Team would beat them by double digits. Again, this is info that my nephew heard from a freshman who was in a couple of classe's with him.

 

Probably true.

I to agree with this. My nephew was in a couple classe's with one of the freshman on the Team. I really don't want to say witch one, but he told my nephew on more than one occasion that he thought BCG was a "mean" person. He said once that he thought the coach felt so much pressure to win, that he told the Team that, if you guys don't win, you will be considered losers by the whole nation. After the home loss to Georgia, he told the Team that U'conn's women Team would beat them by double digits. Again, this is info that my nephew heard from a freshman who was in a couple of classe's with him.

 

I think a lot of coaches wouldn't have a problem saying that. Anger after a loss can result in coaches saying some things that shouldn't be taken literally.

Was Billy G abusive to his players?

 

Yes, physically and verbally.

  • Author
Yes, physically and verbally.

 

What have you heard?

Only because he lost. Had he won he would have been a "hard nosed disciplinarian".

 

Delete..

Yes, physically and verbally.

 

Physically? I find this hard to believe. Any man wanting to get physical with someone like Meeks, Patterson or Harris would be Insane. :idunno:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.