Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mean to players

Featured Replies

I believe what Xtiger may of meant, was the extent of his demand physically. Such as practice on game day, pushing Jasper until he finally pushed him off the Team, etc...

 

I attended one of these game day practices and they are nothing more than most teams do, basically just a shoot around and a walk through of the game plan. People really like to harp on the game day practice, but if they are the cause of losses then they players really need to toughen up. The one I saw was nothing and they lost the game that night. After the loss, I never once thought the practice I was fortunate enough to attend that morning was the cause.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not buying the "mean to players" argument. He was a harsh individual that did not handle the Kentucky job well. Period.

He must have had a split personality.

Why can't we cut the rope and let what happen stay in the past and move on. This thread is basically wondering and then bashing.

 

He did a lot of good things at UK. He did some very poor things at UK. For whatever reason, cut ties and move on.

The term ABUSIVE bothers me. I think that is an irresponsible word to be throwing around here. Abusive, TO ME, denotes an air of criminality, and that was not the case. Are we talking abusive by YMCA standards or by young adults playing a game for a free education standards? Million Dollar industry standard?

The term ABUSIVE bothers me. I think that is an irresponsible word to be throwing around here. Abusive, TO ME, denotes an air of criminality, and that was not the case. Are we talking abusive by YMCA standards or by young adults playing a game for a free education standards? Million Dollar industry standard?

 

I don't look at that word with criminality.

 

I've had enough counseling education and practice to know that the term "abusive" is often very applicable to situations that far from criminal. Many people are abusive or destructive in the way they treat others in marriages, family systems and other communities. Abusive behavior can be very destructive on a person's psyche without being an activity where some statute or law was broken.

I don't look at that word with criminality.

 

I've had enough counseling education and practice to know that the term "abusive" is often very applicable to situations that far from criminal. Many people are abusive or destructive in the way they treat others in marriages, family systems and other communities. Abusive behavior can be very destructive on a person's psyche without being an activity where some statute or law was broken.

 

 

I am certainly not trained by any stretch. I am saying that in my mind it means "x". When I read what your definition and thoughts are, to me says that this sounds a little like bullying and people make that out to be criminal?

Honestly I agree with what you said, and it does make sense, I still think that it is a harsh word to use whne there is no factual data to support the term.

Kinda like he used Bobby Knight techniques. I wouldn't say abusive.

 

I'd say he was strict, but not mean to them...I mean every now and then you have to scream at your players to motivate them!!!

I'd say he was strict, but not mean to them...I mean every now and then you have to scream at your players to motivate them!!!

 

You should never threaten to kick them off the team for getting hurt!! :madman:

I'd say he was strict, but not mean to them...I mean every now and then you have to scream at your players to motivate them!!!

 

I think there is a big difference between being strict and yelling at player versus "threats" and illogical discipline.

 

One of the things that always raised my eyebrows with Billy G this year was just the way he did or did not respond with discipline. There was little logic or pattern.

 

Liggins tells him he won't go in to a particular game late in the contest. His punishment is to play over 20 minutes in the next game. :confused:

 

Then later in the year Liggins may have a very good game and never see the floor the next. And he was not the only player.

 

It was so odd to have no rhyme or reason on what was acceptable and what was not. I just could never get over that Liggins episode.

 

It reminded me of my old High School coach. Our last game of my Senior season we were being beaten and I had already been taken out. I was standing near him when he remembered that a player (a Junior) had not been inserted yet. There was maybe :40 left in the game. So the Coach asked him if he wanted to get in there.

 

"Not particularly coach" was his reply.

 

That was all it took. The coach threw his clipboard and yelled, "You better change your attitude son between now and next year or you'll be so far at the end of the bench, you'll need a road map to find the game." :lol:

 

The kid did not come out his Senior year.

Some reports from practice said he made Meeks run the stairs the day after he received a groin injury. His handling of injured players leaves a lot to be desired. Jasper may not have left if he had not been made play with his injury. Billy Clyde's cop out was he was only going on the reports from the medical trainers. He should have listened to the young man and used a little common sense.

  • Author
Some reports from practice said he made Meeks run the stairs the day after he received a groin injury. His handling of injured players leaves a lot to be desired. Jasper may not have left if he had not been made play with his injury. Billy Clyde's cop out was he was only going on the reports from the medical trainers. He should have listened to the young man and used a little common sense.

 

Maybe if he would have used common sense he would have signed a commom little contract worth millions?

Some reports from practice said he made Meeks run the stairs the day after he received a groin injury. His handling of injured players leaves a lot to be desired. Jasper may not have left if he had not been made play with his injury. Billy Clyde's cop out was he was only going on the reports from the medical trainers. He should have listened to the young man and used a little common sense.
I still question some of the validity or to the extent of which some of these rumors are true. Forcing guys to play with an obvious injury can be borderline criminal activity. BCG may be a jerk and hard on his players, but he is not a complete idiot which is why I do not fully buy it all.

I don't think any of us will fully know what went on behind closed doors. And at this point, it really doesn't matter. Both UK and BCG have to move forward and learn from their mistakes.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.