Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock!

Featured Replies

I know it may not be overly realistic at this current time, but I really wish high school bball had a shot clock. I just hate watching teams hold the ball. Graves Co. held the ball for probably a minute or more late in the ball game. I hope in the next 3 or 4 years that it will be a part of high school basketball!

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the average shooting percentage across all games today would be lucky to crack 40 percent. So yes, let's add a shot clock. That way we can see even more bad and hurried shots taken, so that the 50 percent shooting game goes from being a rarity to a myth.

 

There are low-scoring games every year in the Sweet 16. It is attributable to three things:

 

Nerves

Teams playing conservative because the stakes are higher

Defense has gotten better across the board in high school. Even the mountain teams have caught up and are playing good defense now.

The shot clock is a plague upon basketball. If a team holds the ball on you, get out and defend them and force a turnover.

I think that high school had a shot clock or at least experimented with one back in the late 80's or early 90's. Does anyone else remember that?

The shot clock is a plague upon basketball. If a team holds the ball on you, get out and defend them and force a turnover.

 

:thumb::taz::thumb:

I think that high school had a shot clock or at least experimented with one back in the late 80's or early 90's. Does anyone else remember that?
High schools can experiment at their discretion. A few years ago, Lexington Catholic used a 35-second clock for the 5/3 Holiday Classic.
The shot clock is a plague upon basketball. If a team holds the ball on you, get out and defend them and force a turnover.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well said.

I'd say the average shooting percentage across all games today would be lucky to crack 40 percent. So yes, let's add a shot clock. That way we can see even more bad and hurried shots taken, so that the 50 percent shooting game goes from being a rarity to a myth.

 

There are low-scoring games every year in the Sweet 16. It is attributable to three things:

 

Nerves

Teams playing conservative because the stakes are higher

Defense has gotten better across the board in high school. Even the mountain teams have caught up and are playing good defense now.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

 

Also, well said. I agree with 98.9 percent of what you said. I'm still not sold that defense statewide is that great, but it certainly has gotten better.

I don't like a shot clock at high school level, kinda what sets it apart to me. These kids don't need to be in any more than a hurry than majority teams already are. Hurts the true strategy of the game at this level, I love holding it as long as you can if that helps your team. A team that is huge can play a 2-3 with a shot clock and just wait for you to miss. That same opposing team can hold it and keep it close and have a chance without a shotclock. I love strategy instead of just trying to outscore the other team.

A team held the ball for over a minute in a 32-minute game? Say it ain't so! Run for the hills!:D

 

There's nothing at all wrong with a shot clock in high school basketball. Nothing wrong with a little strategy, nothing wrong with giving the underdog a fighting chance.

Not sure that I agree with the simple assessment of just get out there and play aggressive defense and force turnovers. That is not the only way to play good defense. If a team can contain the ball and keep the offense out of the lane and force contested shots that is good defense. That same team might be a step or two slower than the other team and although they play good defense they cannot generate turnovers and are at the mercy of the patience of the other team. I don't think a team should be rewarded because they have quicker players. That being said I would say that the liklihood of every high school team in the state of Kentucky getting a shot clock in their gym is not very good so I doubt this will ever come about.

  • Author
I'd say the average shooting percentage across all games today would be lucky to crack 40 percent. So yes, let's add a shot clock. That way we can see even more bad and hurried shots taken, so that the 50 percent shooting game goes from being a rarity to a myth.

 

There are low-scoring games every year in the Sweet 16. It is attributable to three things:

 

Nerves

Teams playing conservative because the stakes are higher

Defense has gotten better across the board in high school. Even the mountain teams have caught up and are playing good defense now.

 

This is for high school basketball in general. Not just the Sweet 16. I understand kids are nervous on the big stage. And I agree teams should go pressure and cause turnovers. But I think a 40 second shot clock would rarely effect a team taking a bad shot and would take out the strategy of trying to hold the ball for a long period of time.

I'd say the average shooting percentage across all games today would be lucky to crack 40 percent. So yes, let's add a shot clock. That way we can see even more bad and hurried shots taken, so that the 50 percent shooting game goes from being a rarity to a myth.

 

There are low-scoring games every year in the Sweet 16. It is attributable to three things:

 

Nerves

Teams playing conservative because the stakes are higher

Defense has gotten better across the board in high school. Even the mountain teams have caught up and are playing good defense now.

 

The main reason or one of the main reasons for poor shooting is the 3 point shot. I say take it out of the high school game and you might see some of the other aspects as far as fundamentals would improve. You got kids shooting from 20 plus ft. but they can't stand at the free throw line and hit 60%.

High schools can experiment at their discretion. A few years ago, Lexington Catholic used a 35-second clock for the 5/3 Holiday Classic.

 

I remember that. My dad and I were there for a whole day (about 8 games) and counted only 3 or 4 times the shot clock came into play for all of those games.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.