Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock!

Featured Replies

For the record, some states do indeed use a shot clock in high school games.

 

I'm not sure it would be as bad as some think if it was set to 45 seconds.

 

Defenses are getting better. However, I think most coaches are not that strong on offensive philosphy and sets.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the average shooting percentage across all games today would be lucky to crack 40 percent. So yes, let's add a shot clock. That way we can see even more bad and hurried shots taken, so that the 50 percent shooting game goes from being a rarity to a myth.

 

There are low-scoring games every year in the Sweet 16. It is attributable to three things:

 

Nerves

Teams playing conservative because the stakes are higher

Defense has gotten better across the board in high school. Even the mountain teams have caught up and are playing good defense now.

 

Amen. A shot clock .... please.

The shot clock is a plague upon basketball. If a team holds the ball on you, get out and defend them and force a turnover.

 

Another amen.

This is for high school basketball in general. Not just the Sweet 16. I understand kids are nervous on the big stage. And I agree teams should go pressure and cause turnovers. But I think a 40 second shot clock would rarely effect a team taking a bad shot and would take out the strategy of trying to hold the ball for a long period of time.

 

I realize that. These teams at the Sweet 16 are among the best in the state, and you would logically expect them to shoot better than your average team. If Sweet 16 teams can't crack a collective 40 percent, what do you think is going on with the middle-of-the-road and worse teams?

 

If there was a shot clock in HS hoops, shooting over 40 percent would be seen as a minor miracle. We would have to redefine the phrase "torched the nets" to mean anything above 45 percent, which I find ridiculous.

I don't think former North Laurel coach Mark Tucker would like the shot clock.

I would like to see shot clock in high school basketball. It would prepare the kids that are going to play at the next level better. It would also speed the game up cause a team would not just be able to come down the floor and hold the ball. An example of this is Bardstown and Washington Co. the score was 8-4 at half time the shot clock would put an end to this.

I would like to see shot clock in high school basketball. It would prepare the kids that are going to play at the next level better. It would also speed the game up cause a team would not just be able to come down the floor and hold the ball. An example of this is Bardstown and Washington Co. the score was 8-4 at half time the shot clock would put an end to this.

 

I was at that excruciating game. As difficult as it was to watch, I never once thought a shot clock was a good idea for our state. Yes, it would help players who are going on to the next level, but that is the overwhelming minority of kids who play HS basketball in Kentucky. I still say a shot clock would do more harm than good, especially for the vast majority, who have no chance of ever playing college ball.

  • Author
I was at that excruciating game. As difficult as it was to watch, I never once thought a shot clock was a good idea for our state. Yes, it would help players who are going on to the next level, but that is the overwhelming minority of kids who play HS basketball in Kentucky. I still say a shot clock would do more harm than good, especially for the vast majority, who have no chance of ever playing college ball.

 

I totally disagree. I don't think in most games in most situations it would be a factor as far as % go if you had a 40 second clock. I think it would keep teams from stalling as much and I can't see that bing a bad thing.

In my opinion, it is RIDICULOUS for a team to be able to hold the ball for more than a minute in a close game!!!

In my opinion, it is RIDICULOUS for a team to be able to hold the ball for more than a minute in a close game!!!

 

Not to mention, BORING!:thumb:

In my opinion, it is RIDICULOUS for a team to be able to hold the ball for more than a minute in a close game!!!

 

You could play defense and take it away.

You could play defense and take it away.

 

Exactly, a shot clock will do exactly what its done to the NBA and most college teams........Not Play D---Fence.

Run and gun all the time is a strategy and slow paced is a strategy. I love both when its an advantage to my team.

No shot clock =defense must be played=Basketball I love to watch.

  • Author
Exactly, a shot clock will do exactly what its done to the NBA and most college teams........Not Play D---Fence.

Run and gun all the time is a strategy and slow paced is a strategy. I love both when its an advantage to my team.

No shot clock =defense must be played=Basketball I love to watch.

 

No one plays defense in college :confused:

I totally disagree. I don't think in most games in most situations it would be a factor as far as % go if you had a 40 second clock. I think it would keep teams from stalling as much and I can't see that bing a bad thing.

 

So, you're telling me teams would should better than they do with a shot clock, and the rushed shots that go hand-in-hand with it? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

  • Author
So, you're telling me teams would should better than they do with a shot clock, and the rushed shots that go hand-in-hand with it? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

 

What I am saying is that with a shot clock it would rarely come into play. Not many teams use 40 seconds or more per posession. I simply think it would keep teams from stalling. I don't blame coaches for trying it, but it would be more fun for teams not to do that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.