Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock!

Featured Replies

What I am saying is that with a shot clock it would rarely come into play. Not many teams use 40 seconds or more per posession. I simply think it would keep teams from stalling. I don't blame coaches for trying it, but it would be more fun for teams not to do that.

 

This was the experience at the Stop DWI tournament in Binghampton during the holidays. There was a shot clock, only saw it go off once during the tournament. The clock does reduce late game fouling and free throws outside of 2 mins. But we know how exciting it is to watch free throws.:D

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could play defense and take it away.

 

AMEN:thumb::clap:

What I am saying is that with a shot clock it would rarely come into play. Not many teams use 40 seconds or more per posession. I simply think it would keep teams from stalling. I don't blame coaches for trying it, but it would be more fun for teams not to do that.

 

I think you and a lot of others are confusing the concept of "stalling" with "playing patiently." I probably see 50 or so games per year, and can only recall once in the past 6-7 years where a team was actually stalling — i.e., not looking to shoot — and that was the aforementioned Bardstown-Washington Co. game this year.

 

Defense has advanced beyond the offense in today's HS game in Kentucky. As a result, teams are having to work harder/run their offense longer to find a good shot. I have no problem with that. Introducing a shot clock would not boost scoring.

  • Author
I think you and a lot of others are confusing the concept of "stalling" with "playing patiently." I probably see 50 or so games per year, and can only recall once in the past 6-7 years where a team was actually stalling — i.e., not looking to shoot — and that was the aforementioned Bardstown-Washington Co. game this year.

 

Defense has advanced beyond the offense in today's HS game in Kentucky. As a result, teams are having to work harder/run their offense longer to find a good shot. I have no problem with that. Introducing a shot clock would not boost scoring.

 

If there is a minute and a half left in a quarter and a team holds for the last shot that is stalling. We have a different philosophy about the shot clock and will just have to agree to disagree. Like I said there would be a lot of games that it would not affect at all.

 

I just tend to believe that had there been a shot clock the score in the Holmes-Boone game would not be 32-29 for example.

It's called strategy ... and it's a part of basketball, like it or not.

There should be a shot clock. I mean who wants to watch a team play keep away for an hour and a half and a final score in the low 30s?

 

The real problem with a shot clock in high school is getting one in every school and having someone who can run it the correct way. It would be a little more difficult to have one, but I feel it is needed.

It's called strategy ... and it's a part of basketball, like it or not.

 

Amen.

 

If someone wants to watch a game with a shot clock, go watch the NBA or college ball.:sssh:

Amen.

 

If someone wants to watch a game with a shot clock, go watch the NBA or college ball.:sssh:

 

Maybe that is one of the problems with attendance in many areas....they have.

Last night's attendance at Rupp sure doesn't back up what you just wrote.

It's called strategy ... and it's a part of basketball, like it or not.

 

:thumb:

 

I'm guessing there are probably more teams that can't hold the ball for 90 seconds than teams that can. If you're good enough to hold 90 seconds for the final shot, then do it.

 

The shot clock works fine in the NBA and college where the talent level is much higher and the players are more skilled. But, in high school, it's not necessary.

 

I remember watching Covington Holy Cross in the Sweet 16 once and they held the ball for almost three minutes to the end the third period in a game where they were an underdog. I can't recall who they were playing, but the opponent was really trying to get after them and HC did a tremendous job of taking care of the ball...and they ended it with a basket at the horn. The crowd at Rupp really got behind them during their keep-away and gave a standing ovation after the quarter.

 

If you're in a position where slowing the game down is your chance to win, then you should be commended if you're able to stall and execute enough to beat the favorite.

 

I enjoy watching a good sound basketball team run their offense patiently even if that does result in low scoring games. I'm not necessarily in favor of a team stalling from the word go, but I have no problem with them doing it to end quarter and doing it later in games if that's what they need to do to give them their best chance to win.

 

It's all about strategy. It's a defense's responsibility to prevent an opponent from being able to hold the ball for 90+ seconds on them.

 

We can't constantly change things just to suit our personal preferences, like adding a shot clock or adding at-large bids to the Sweet 16. Kentucky high school hoops ain't broke. It's great the way it is.

:thumb:

 

I'm guessing there are probably more teams that can't hold the ball for 90 seconds than teams that can. If you're good enough to hold 90 seconds for the final shot, then do it.

 

The shot clock works fine in the NBA and college where the talent level is much higher and the players are more skilled. But, in high school, it's not necessary.

 

I remember watching Covington Holy Cross in the Sweet 16 once and they held the ball for almost three minutes to the end the third period in a game where they were an underdog. I can't recall who they were playing, but the opponent was really trying to get after them and HC did a tremendous job of taking care of the ball...and they ended it with a basket at the horn. The crowd at Rupp really got behind them during their keep-away and gave a standing ovation after the quarter.

 

If you're in a position where slowing the game down is your chance to win, then you should be commended if you're able to stall and execute enough to beat the favorite.

 

I enjoy watching a good sound basketball team run their offense patiently even if that does result in low scoring games. I'm not necessarily in favor of a team stalling from the word go, but I have no problem with them doing it to end quarter and doing it later in games if that's what they need to do to give them their best chance to win.

 

It's all about strategy. It's a defense's responsibility to prevent an opponent from being able to hold the ball for 90+ seconds on them.

 

We can't constantly change things just to suit our personal preferences, like adding a shot clock or adding at-large bids to the Sweet 16. Kentucky high school hoops ain't broke. It's great the way it is.

 

Respectfully, IYO.

Respectfully, IYO.

 

It's not going to improve KY high school hoops to start tinkering with it in an effort to play to people's preferences.

 

That would be like changing the rules in football to weight things toward high octane passing offenses because it's "more exciting" and the general public prefers it.

 

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  • Author

I would like to see all the big tournaments experiment with it. It would be nice to see the LIT, 5th/3rd, Toyota, KOB, AIT, etc all use it and see. That would make sense just to get an idea about it.

I would like to see all the big tournaments experiment with it. It would be nice to see the LIT, 5th/3rd, Toyota, KOB, AIT, etc all use it and see. That would make sense just to get an idea about it.

 

None of those tourneys need to do it -- much looser offense there. The real test would be the All A. You'll never see it happen in Rupp.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.