Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK COACH....if you could pick him/her...

Featured Replies

Jay Wright were one of the guys I wanted last time. If the job were to open up again, I would like to see him or Travis Ford here.

 

:thumb: I agree with you, I had named Wright as one of my favs the last time as well. I also will admit that Gillispie was on my short list along with Donovan.

 

For me now I would go after......(since Bill Self or Tom Izzzo would probably be "untouchables" :D)

 

Jay Wright

Billy Donovan (yes, again and raise the stakes)

Travis Ford

Those are three I could name as top choices rght now, I may think of others later but that is my short list.

Lexington/U.K. has the money and imo U.K. is going to have go out and put some "Serious" money (there are enough very influential "$$$$ supporters" that want to make it happen) to get a top college basketball coach.

 

All of this is o.k. for discussion and all of that but imo it is just that, I don't think that BCG is going anywhere now and at least for another 2 or 3 years. JMO

 

 

plus........go to Pitino and say "Name your price, there is no ceiling on it, we will make the Boston Celtic contract that you left U.K. for look cheap!". Here we go :p.......:popcorn:

  • Replies 124
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If something happens and Gillispie is not the coach next season, I think there is only one option (if Pitino says no):

 

John Calipari.

 

Sure, he may have a shady past and be a little slimy to some, but that is the coach that can come right in and win right now. His tempo suits Kentucky fans to a 't' and his recruiting ability is off the chart. Calipari also has an ego and that is that even though he could win consistently at Memphis, Kentucky is Kentucky. He is the enemy of Rick Pitino dating back to early years and the rivalry with Louisville would be bigger than it has ever been.

 

And remember, two of his big-time recruits have yet to sign. Not saying they would follow him, but it would be easier for him to leave knowing that they are still available.

 

I "bolded" the line as the reason I absolutely woudn't want him. I just do not trust the man. JMO

Billy Clyde.

 

If something does happen, I just hope they don't go with Travis Ford or Rick Barnes. Both are horrible options.

 

Horrible options? Why?

Jamie Dixon would actually be my first choice.

Jamie Dixon would actually be my first choice.

 

Its really interesting to here people say they would want a Jamie Dixon or Ben Howland type coach. I mean one of the big arguments against Tubby was his style of play was boring, but those coaches also play the same type of style. So its just interesting to see people say they would want a coach, who has the same style that many people were calling boring before.

Horrible options? Why?
People are upset about BCG's lack of in game coaching...well Barnes couldn't coach his way out of a paper sack.

 

Travis Ford has yet to prove anything and go ask anyone that was at EKU or CVille during his tenures there. You think BCG has attitude problems...Ford is about a million times worse.

We'd be lucky to get Kyle Macy at this point. Seriously, who would want the job??

Its really interesting to here people say they would want a Jamie Dixon or Ben Howland type coach. I mean one of the big arguments against Tubby was his style of play was boring, but those coaches also play the same type of style. So its just interesting to see people say they would want a coach, who has the same style that many people were calling boring before.

 

Here's the adjusted tempo ranking from Ken Pomeroy's site. Just for reference, UK was 159 and 221 Tubby's last two years.

 

1 - VMI

5 - UNC

8 - South Carolina

33 - OK St.

34 - Davidson

47 - Arkansas

69 - UGA

71 - Miss St

76 - Auburn

82 - Tennessee

84 - Kentucky

85 - Louisville

87 - Nova

91 - Duke

93 - Bama

122 - Xavier

129 - Memphis

150 - Florida

170 - Pitt

180 - Morehead

181 - UCLA

184 - Vandy (slowest SEC team)

197 - WKU

210 - Minnesota

263 - NC State (slowest ACC)

266 - UC

277 - Georgetown

302 - Colorado (slowest Big12)

324 - USF (slowest BE)

332 - EKU

342 - Wash St. (slowest Pac10)

343 - Iowa (slowest Big11)

I didn't complain about Tubby's style until the players he had made it boring. If Dixon can take Pittsburg to a #1 ranking I would think he could do it here.

Calipari...

Bob Knight....I've also have written his name on the Bama boards.

We'd be lucky to get Kyle Macy at this point. Seriously, who would want the job??

 

Money talks...

Since this is an open question, "who would you like to see coach UK?" and if BCG is terminated after this year or next, I would like to see Mitch Barnhart get a list of candidates together and and do some interveiwing of at least 5 people on the list before making a choice. Now lets try to be logical about this, Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino, and Ben Howland aren't going anywhere. So being that we are UK and deserve the best, lets put together a list of candidates with proven skills at a Top 20 school. These are in no particular order by the way, Calipari, Few, Izzo, Self, Donavon, Barnes, Wright, Miller at Xavier. Pelphrey and Ford aren't on the list because they haven't proven themselves, like it or not, it's true, at this point and time. There is a difference in winning and recruiting at Jacksonville St. and EKU and doing it at Kentucky. Just my opinion, but I tried to do whats best for UK and not my heart.

Here's the adjusted tempo ranking from Ken Pomeroy's site. Just for reference, UK was 159 and 221 Tubby's last two years.

 

1 - VMI

5 - UNC

8 - South Carolina

33 - OK St.

34 - Davidson

47 - Arkansas

69 - UGA

71 - Miss St

76 - Auburn

82 - Tennessee

84 - Kentucky

85 - Louisville

87 - Nova

91 - Duke

93 - Bama

122 - Xavier

129 - Memphis

150 - Florida

170 - Pitt

180 - Morehead

181 - UCLA

184 - Vandy (slowest SEC team)

197 - WKU

210 - Minnesota

263 - NC State (slowest ACC)

266 - UC

277 - Georgetown

302 - Colorado (slowest Big12)

324 - USF (slowest BE)

332 - EKU

342 - Wash St. (slowest Pac10)

343 - Iowa (slowest Big11)

 

Well this kinda proves my point. As I said people always were talking about how they hated Tubby's boring style. And I am just saying that its funny to hear people say they would want a Howland or Dixon since they both have basically the same style as Tubby, as we can see on the list here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.