Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie

Featured Replies

  • Author
This is horrible news! We dont want to start over again already!

 

I call it news because your reports are the by far the best news reports I get.

Could be starting over but you may very well return a solid nucleus...still a lot of time...things could change.

  • Replies 225
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I really liked the search and reading about everyone's sources, and I use that word loosely.

 

But it's not time for a change, after just two years. Things will get bad if they fire him.

 

Not necessarily.

I am drawing major correlations to the present issue to what UNC experienced with Doherty and they waited one year too long to jet him.

Not necessarily.

I am drawing major correlations to the present issue to what UNC experienced with Doherty and they waited one year too long to jet him.

 

True, but they drew Roy Williams from a dominant Kansas program and a Hall of Famer coach. There aren't coaches with the resume Williams had available for the Kentucky job.

  • Author
John Pelphrey come on down...

I would be disappointed if that is who they settled for.

 

Once again this is still a fluid situation. Still games to be played.

I am not at "Write it Down" stage.

Labs,

 

Are you able to talk about the deception or give more info on the family... anything someone can read inbetween the lines with?

Really dont want to put it on the boards or through PM's...if it happens I will spill it.

 

I was told something very interesting this weekend about Gillispie and UK. The lady that told me this has a husband that works in some capacity in the UK athletic department.

 

I'm hesitant to say anything because I don't like starting false rumors, but if it's true, Gillispie won't be here after next year regardless of how they finish out this year....

Everyone has a friend in athletic department. Much of it is crap...nothing personal.

Would Travis Ford be at the top of the hypothetical list?

There is not enough money in the Obama Stimulus package to rebuild the bridges he burned at UK

Things like being a jerk, using state funds to provide a driver, etc...are going to prove trying for the University's athletic department.

Certainly his personality has not made things better.

Not sure about second part.

If Gillispie is gone, I would throw the coffers at Jay Wright, he's personable, is a straight arrow, and over achieves.

Interesting candidate. He would be a good "face" for the program.

UK needs a CEO type coach...can they get one?

 

I agree 100%.....problem is he loved the praise he got at UK, but loves everything else about living in Louisville. It fills every other void. Believe me, i have been told that. Now, if he is indeed fortunate enough to snare a title here, it's curtains. Louisville, taking away UK basketball, has everything that Rick Pitino would want in a hometown.

Crazier things have happened.

  • Author
Billy Donovan would understand the UK Fishbowl. Would he make himself available this time around? Is the honeymoon over in Gainesville?

 

Darrin Horn is a hot name right now, but then again, so was BCG two years ago.

 

If Pelphrey or Ford came back, what about a staff that included Sean Woods (MVSt), Dale Brown (Dillard), and Walter McCarty (UL)

Billy D burned a few bridges as well. Let's just say in hindsight, there may be some regret.

Horn....eh...second tier.

 

True, but they drew Roy Williams from a dominant Kansas program and a Hall of Famer coach. There aren't coaches with the resume Williams had available for the Kentucky job.

Money talks and Barnhart would have to get it right.

If they were to can BCG, they absolutely have to get someone with Wildcat ties to replace him. I don't know if that's Travis Ford or not, but there is no option, IMO.

 

No way there is not any former Wildcat player that has done anything to make them a candidate for the UK job. Just because they played here doesn't give them a right to coach here.

I really liked the search and reading about everyone's sources, and I use that word loosely.

 

But it's not time for a change, after just two years. Things will get bad if they fire him.

I never once said who they were getting, just that Donovan was not it. And I was right despite some vehement guarantees from others that I was wrong. :thumb:

  • Author

It was his job and handshake type deal was in place...it started to fall apart at the Final Four...Orlando Magic situation began to become more clear...

That is the bottom line...

That is why if BCG is moved on and Donovan were to have an interest there is going to need to be some fence-mending done on his part with a few people.

It was his job and handshake type deal was in place...it started to fall apart at the Final Four...Orlando Magic situation began to become more clear...

That is the bottom line...

That is why if BCG is moved on and Donovan were to have an interest there is going to need to be some fence-mending done on his part with a few people.

 

If Donovan has changed his mind and wants to come to UK now, I doubt there would be much trouble getting it done...assuming there is an opening.

 

Considering what the situation will be if Gillispie leaves or is fired, I don't see UK doing any better than Donovan if that becomes a real option.

 

Question: Say Gillispie does leave. Would landing Donovan keep PP and Meeks around for another year? And, how would it affect the recruiting situation?

Are we all still sold on Donovan? I mean he's working on two straight trips to the NIT, and he's 2-2 vs. Gillispie. Just sayin...

Are we all still sold on Donovan? I mean he's working on two straight trips to the NIT, and he's 2-2 vs. Gillispie. Just sayin...

 

I agree. They have slipped out of the national spotlight rather quickly. I think what his 2 straight national titles showed and what UF has been the past 2 seasons, is that it is awfully hard to maintain being the top dog for very long in today's parity riddled collegiate landscape. When you have so much talent coming back, it is hard to get more to some and sit the bench until they are gone. Pitino saw that toward the end of his run at UK. Not a great deal of top notch talent coming in with all that his 96 roster had and to some extent his 97 roster was loaded with. He couldn't get a PG to even look at UK with it being Wayne Turner's show to run.

 

To be honest, I have been a vocal critic of BCG, but I would like to see these threads stop about him leaving. I don't think that is what is best for UK right now. Give him another year IMHO.

Are we all still sold on Donovan? I mean he's working on two straight trips to the NIT, and he's 2-2 vs. Gillispie. Just sayin...

 

Its not so much about being sold as what we can get. And, if UK is looking for a new coach in a week or two, I suspect Billy D would be about as good as we could hope to get.

 

JMO

  • Author
If Donovan has changed his mind and wants to come to UK now, I doubt there would be much trouble getting it done...assuming there is an opening.

 

Considering what the situation will be if Gillispie leaves or is fired, I don't see UK doing any better than Donovan if that becomes a real option.

 

Question: Say Gillispie does leave. Would landing Donovan keep PP and Meeks around for another year? And, how would it affect the recruiting situation?

At this point the likelihood would be yes.

At this point the likelihood would be yes.

 

It aint hap'nin so I wouldn't worry too much about this scenario, lol.

What was once a hot topic I think is a cold topic, but I think Barnhart may have Gillispies exit strategy already in place if they do want to "get rid" of him. They can tell him to sign the contract or we will get someone who will be glad too.... This is a non issue if UK is making a final 4 run I bet, but since things have been sour, its seems like there is an outlet in place...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.