Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie

Featured Replies

Let it go. I havent seen Gillespie undress a player either. I agree that Tubby didnt get the credit he deserved, but let it go. I am still bitter that we ran him off, but lets try to go forward.
I didn't mention Tubby in that arguement. Why the reference?
  • Replies 225
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't bring Tubby into the argument, but he is indeed an easy target. How many of Tubby's players started again yesterday against LSU?

 

In two years, Pitino turned what you called "not very good players" into a team that waon 20+ games and would have won the SEC and been an NCAA lock.

 

In two years, BCG has turned what many call "not very good players" into what? An NIT team?

 

And yes, Pitino had Mashburn. But BCG has Patterson. It's a wash.

 

The one thing I don't understand is how Tubby Smith or any coach for that matter not get credit for coaching "another coach's" players to an NCAA title. He did it with "Pitino's players".

 

Yet, when a coach can't coach other players to success, it's still the previous coach's fault.

 

Kentucky fans want it both ways. They want to credit Pitino because Tubby Smith won a title with "his" players and they want to give BCG a free pass because he can't win with the players left for him.

 

 

I really like Tubby, and I think that the coaching job he did in 98 was one of if not the best coaching jobs in UK history for 1 season. I was just referencing where each coach inherrited the program.

What Pitino inherrited were a bunch of KY kids that would run through a wall to play and contribute at KY. Mashburn was a much better overall player than Patterson, so even though their numbers are similar, I believe it too be far from a wash.

I never thought that Tubby was appreciated as much as he should have been, and I think that was part of the reason he got a little relaxed on the recruiting scene (he felt like there was noisy minority who could care less about what he did).

I also while scratching my head with BCG at times think that while he is our coach, should support him and give him a little time to get his program set up like he wants it.

  • Author
Let's see ... Matta has shown he can bag big-time recruits and he had the Buckeyes in the national championship game two years ago.

 

Talking about both sides of his mouth? Is there really something to that, or are you just holding the Xavier thing against him?

I dont know about Matta.

His lead recruiter has left him in John Groce. Can he recruit well without him?

Some are saying same thing about Donovan since Grant left.

  • Author
LABS, has BCG gotten worse with everything off the court since losing has started?

I know last year early in the season when everyone was on him because of GW and San D, he felt it was very unjust and went into his hole.

BCG seemed a little more comfortable in his role after UK started winning last year and early this year.

Is he just a guy that when things aren't going well, he gets a bunker style attitude?

 

Year one was ok to an extent but there were rumors all over the place, most unfair.

But, he had a person he could turn to for advice, etc. Bill Keightley.

I dont think he has anyone now. He is a loner so to speak. He is obssessed with basketball, but his people skills are not so much.

I have seen him three times speak in public and it was OK and he was chippy. Had more of a crude humor.

He has been chippy for a while now.

It all came to a head at halftime that one cold Tuesday night in Oxford.

  • Author
Pitino went after Jerry Tipton in a press conference in 1992, after Tipton did a tongue-in-cheek story about a newspaper editor in eastern Kentucky that was criticizing Pitino for not giving Richie Farmer more playing time. The editor claimed Pitino didn't play Farmer more because he considered Richie a threat to his popularity among UK fans.

 

Tipton asked Pitino for comment on the story, and he declined. He also told Tipton that he shouldn't be writing the story because it was "a non-story."

 

The day the piece was in the paper, Pitino was doing his usual pre-game press conference. He lambasted Tipton in the press conference, claiming his story had no better use than for collecting coffee grounds.

 

Moral of the story ... Pitino wasn't always nicey with the press. He was often combative with them, which didn't bother the fans at all, for the most part.

 

Understood, but Pitino had charisma. BCG has not one ounce.

I think BCG is an excellent coach, but this may not be the right fit. And it could be so easy for him....so easy.

Don't forget Tipton came a knocking at Pitino's door one night waving an article about his involvement with a NCAA issue while he was in Hawaii...almost caused RP to back away from UK.

I think everyone is frustrated with everything anymore.

 

BCG could make this easy for him, but who does he have to turn to for advice?

I think everyone is frustrated with everything anymore.

 

BCG could make this easy for him, but who does he have to turn to for advice?

 

Maybe Joe B.? I'm sure he could shed some light on this.

Here is another article from the Lexington Herald/John Clay...

Never mind...

Edited by ADopted ADmiral
Link already posted on another thread...

I do not know what will happen with BCG, but I am disappointed that Thad Matta's name even comes up.

 

Thad Matta made the championship game because of Greg Oden & Mike Conley Jr. Matta failed to develop a strong pipeline to Lawrence North, where he had signed some great recruits. LN continues to be a powerhouse, and Ohio State has lost a lot of these recruits to other schools -- such as UL & UK, among others.

 

Thad Matta did not even tell his team at Xavier that he was taking the Ohio State job. They found out via the bottom line, on ESPN. That's one of the biggest reasons why I do not like Matta.

 

What bothers me the most about Billy G is that it does not seem like he has a good relationship with any of the players. When you watch Jim Boeheim & other great coaches work the sideline, you see them having a conversation with their players and talking with them. When you see BCG on the sideline, you see him asking sarcastic / rhetorical questions and almost degrading the players.

A lot of things are swirling out there. There was a bogus email sent out which had fictional quotes from the "heavy hitter" lawyer Daryl Issacs. "Heavy Hitter"? Ambulance chaser is a better term.

Anyways, I have been told a few things which does not seem to be too far out in left field.

Many of the stories and rumors are just that...people clamoring all over themselves.

What I do know as fact is that Barnhart and BCG do not have the best of relationships at this point. There has been some deception so to speak.

The families in this issue are very highly thought of people who have a strong background and are particularly educated. They are not looking for a handout or trying to force something. They just want answers to certain things.

Family concerns are not the only issues...there are others.

There is still a tournament to play. I dont expect things to go well there. It could happen and could change some dynamics about things but only time will tell.

As of right now, if UK doesnt win the SEC, I dont think BCG will be back. If they do win it, then it changes things a bit.

We shall see.

 

I got that e-mail, what a joke.

John Calipari come on down!!! He has to be bored with what goes on in the Conference USA every year. He has hit the ceiling when it comes to coaching at Memphis. He should be number one on the coaching list.

I do not know what will happen with BCG, but I am disappointed that Thad Matta's name even comes up.

 

Thad Matta made the championship game because of Greg Oden & Mike Conley Jr. Matta failed to develop a strong pipeline to Lawrence North, where he had signed some great recruits. LN continues to be a powerhouse, and Ohio State has lost a lot of these recruits to other schools -- such as UL & UK, among others.

 

Thad Matta did not even tell his team at Xavier that he was taking the Ohio State job. They found out via the bottom line, on ESPN. That's one of the biggest reasons why I do not like Matta.

 

What bothers me the most about Billy G is that it does not seem like he has a good relationship with any of the players. When you watch Jim Boeheim & other great coaches work the sideline, you see them having a conversation with their players and talking with them. When you see BCG on the sideline, you see him asking sarcastic / rhetorical questions and almost degrading the players.

Difference in Billy Clyde and Thad Motta is that Billy Clyde text messaged his players on his after he accepted the UK job.

Why don't the cops just stake him out. Kind of like Entrapment lol. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to run him out of town if they really wanted too.

I will say this.. if KY gets rid of him THEY HAVE GOT TO HIT A HOMERUN with the next coach. It has to be somebody that offers some stability. They can't turn it into a revolving door program. I loved Pitino. I liked Tubby but thought it was time for both parties to move on. I was a little skeptical about Billy G but have backed him all year. It is to the point now that I think he has decided to wear out his welcome.

It all comes down to two schools:

1. Be patient and see what happens good or bad.

2. Nip it in the bud, cut your loss and do it right the next go round.

I believe Gillispie calls it quits and UK hires Thad Matta. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.