March 12, 200917 yr It was his job and handshake type deal was in place...it started to fall apart at the Final Four...Orlando Magic situation began to become more clear... That is the bottom line... That is why if BCG is moved on and Donovan were to have an interest there is going to need to be some fence-mending done on his part with a few people. Still sticking to that one huh? :ohbrother::lol:
March 12, 200917 yr Are we all still sold on Donovan? I mean he's working on two straight trips to the NIT, and he's 2-2 vs. Gillispie. Just sayin... I think, in UK's current situation, this is the best-case scenario. LABS can talk about rebuilding bridges all he wants. Donovan is the best guy for the situation. And with what was previously mentioned about the steep fall from B-2-B NCAA titles, I think it would be important once again to stress to UK fans that their expectations of consistent high-level success are just simply not compatible with the state of today's game. The bottom line is you don't have to go to UK to get on TV anymore. You can go to Butler, or anywhere else, and still get regular ESPN/FSN time.
March 12, 200917 yr I don't get it why does it matter that he played at UK? If there is a better coach out there you want him over them just because of that? Because only someone with UK ties "understands."
March 12, 200917 yr Author Still sticking to that one huh? :ohbrother::lol: Absolutely... Go talk to the money men involved in the contract talks.
March 12, 200917 yr Sorry, but living in both cities, you are praised MUCH more when you win as UK's coach than as U of L's. I'm not saying you are wrong about Slick Rick's high status in Cardinal Land right now, but the level of worship was much higher as UK's coach. Plus, he hasn't won anything yet at U of L. :sssh: The "ups" are not the important factor. It's how shabbily you're treated when things aren't going well that matters. After that cordial reception Pitino got when he made his first return to Rupp, I think it's highly fanciful to think he would ever go back there. For the record, I've never liked Rick Pitino.
March 12, 200917 yr Author I think, in UK's current situation, this is the best-case scenario. LABS can talk about rebuilding bridges all he wants. Donovan is the best guy for the situation. And with what was previously mentioned about the steep fall from B-2-B NCAA titles, I think it would be important once again to stress to UK fans that their expectations of consistent high-level success are just simply not compatible with the state of today's game. The bottom line is you don't have to go to UK to get on TV anymore. You can go to Butler, or anywhere else, and still get regular ESPN/FSN time. It wouldn't take a whole lot to build those bridges back, but there definitely would not be the continued stalling pattern they got the last time when they tried to finalize everything. Look, BCG may even get another year, and if he does there will be a contract signed. I perused the Memo.of Understanding, and there is nothing really in there that sticks out...for it not to be signed.
March 12, 200917 yr Author The "ups" are not the important factor. It's how shabbily you're treated when things aren't going well that matters. After that cordial reception Pitino got when he made his first return to Rupp, I think it's highly fanciful to think he would ever go back there. For the record, I've never liked Rick Pitino. You can never underestimate what Pitino will or could do. Heck he even fancied the idea of heading back to Providence last year.
March 12, 200917 yr You can never underestimate what Pitino will or could do. Heck he even fancied the idea of heading back to Providence last year. I'll cop to not reading the sports sites 24/7, but huh? That's a new one on me.
March 12, 200917 yr I think, in UK's current situation, this is the best-case scenario. LABS can talk about rebuilding bridges all he wants. Donovan is the best guy for the situation. And with what was previously mentioned about the steep fall from B-2-B NCAA titles, I think it would be important once again to stress to UK fans that their expectations of consistent high-level success are just simply not compatible with the state of today's game. The bottom line is you don't have to go to UK to get on TV anymore. You can go to Butler, or anywhere else, and still get regular ESPN/FSN time. And since there are some likely champing at the bit to rail at me about expectations, by "high-level" I'm talking about the folks who seem to think SEC and NCAA titles are UK's yearly birthright.
March 12, 200917 yr Author I wouldnt be that extreme, but no excuse for this team not to have already punched their ticket to the NCAA Tourney. Losing to UGa at home was not a talent issue. Read a piece, I believe it was out of one of the Providence papers a few months back that alluded to it.
March 12, 200917 yr I wouldnt be that extreme, but no excuse for this team not to have already punched their ticket to the NCAA Tourney. Losing to UGa at home was not a talent issue. I'll agree with that. I was more alluding back to the haranguing Tubby had to endure for falling short in region championship games. I conceded on this board that, as much as I like/respect him, he had slipped in later years. But he still got a raw deal from the start from far too vocal a segment of UK fandom. Read a piece, I believe it was out of one of the Providence papers a few months back that alluded to it. Sounds like homerish wishful thinking. Like a lot of UK fans on this board who think Ricky P is their Moses, coming back to deliver them from the wilderness.
March 12, 200917 yr I'll agree with that. I was more alluding back to the haranguing Tubby had to endure for falling short in region championship games. I conceded on this board that, as much as I like/respect him, he had slipped in later years. But he still got a raw deal from the start from far too vocal a segment of UK fandom. Read a piece, I believe it was out of one of the Providence papers a few months back that alluded to it. Sounds like homerish wishful thinking. Like a lot of UK fans on this board who think Ricky P is their Moses, coming back to deliver them from the wilderness. Sort of like those folks who think Donovan has some mythical secret love for Lexington. Even went so far as to make up that there was a secret UK out in his contract with Florida. Hilarious. Amazing how some (even some who claim to be in the know) who defended that, despite me assuring them otherwise, til someone found a copy of his contract and posted it. That was fun.
March 12, 200917 yr Sort of like those folks who think Donovan has some mythical secret love for Lexington. Even went so far as to make up that there was a secret UK out in his contract with Florida. Hilarious. Amazing how some (even some who claim to be in the know) who defended that, despite me assuring them otherwise, til someone found a copy of his contract and posted it. That was fun. I was telling a guy that worked at this store that, because he was telling everyone that their was a UK clause. A guy went and grabbed a laptop and I showed him the posted contract. His claim then was, that is not his contract... :lol:
March 12, 200917 yr Author Sort of like those folks who think Donovan has some mythical secret love for Lexington. Even went so far as to make up that there was a secret UK out in his contract with Florida. Hilarious. Amazing how some (even some who claim to be in the know) who defended that, despite me assuring them otherwise, til someone found a copy of his contract and posted it. That was fun. Here is the link to the article regarding Pitino. Bozich even mentioned it in his blog. http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_bkc_rick_pitino26_10-26-08_VDC23EU_v58.374ba55.html “I did give it some thought. I’ll be honest, yes I did, but it’s the only place that I ever would have thought about,” Pitino said last week. In regards to Donovan, all I ever got fairly concrete was the deal was agreed upon as long as there was a clean break from Tubby. Things got muddied up just prior to the Final Four.
March 13, 200917 yr Article by Larry Vaught... Vaught's Views: Loss ends Gillispie's honeymoon; changes afoot? http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=48652&format=html
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.