Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Baseball Discussion

Featured Replies

Beechwood has Larrimore, Bertke, and Colosimoor Hall as 2, 3, 4. Hall and Colosimo could vary in order.

 

All of which are fine young men and good pitchers. As well NCC has some fine young men and some good pitchers. My point in earlier post was that at one and two, for Bellevue, Scott (Sr.) and Pipper (Jr.) are as good if not better than either teams # 2. Bellevue may not have that proven # 1 but have two pitchers that would be most teams # 2 and after that have a few kids in the likes of Young (Jr.) and Mayes (Sr.) that will do fine job at 3 and 4. After that they have some young pitchers that will be able to contribute as the year progresses. I think they will be in the mix for the All A classic. They have the pitching to fair well.

  • Replies 154
  • Views 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper made their cuts on Tuesday, and of course with the new school, they are very young. I know they have seven eighth graders that they kept for JV. I don't think there are any players with previous Varsity experience. There were 4 Senior's doing conditioning work but I'm not sure how many made the team. Coach Bieger will have his work cut our for him and his staff this year but the program is headed in the right direction.:thumb:

 

On my soapbox;

 

You know that is really a shame having 8th graders play! Now let me explain why. Boone County had from what I was told 56 freshmen try out for the Boone County freshmen team and they kept only 17 kids. Thats 39 young men who go to HS but don't get to play hs baseball, while Cooper has to get 7 kids not in HS to play hs baseball. Yes I know it is what it is but if those freshmen (and I know a one of the kids cut while he wasn't a great player, he was pretty good) at Boone lived somewhere else in Boone County those kids who are in HS would have gotten to play. I just hate it when kids (and I don't care how good they are) not in HS play HS (and the kids in HS) get cut. Again I understand but it is really a shame.

 

Off my soapbox

On my soapbox;

 

You know that is really a shame having 8th graders play! Now let me explain why. Boone County had from what I was told 56 freshmen try out for the Boone County freshmen team and they kept only 17 kids. Thats 39 young men who go to HS but don't get to play hs baseball, while Cooper has to get 7 kids not in HS to play hs baseball. Yes I know it is what it is but if those freshmen (and I know a one of the kids cut while he wasn't a great player, he was pretty good) at Boone lived somewhere else in Boone County those kids who are in HS would have gotten to play. I just hate it when kids (and I don't care how good they are) not in HS play HS (and the kids in HS) get cut. Again I understand but it is really a shame.

 

Off my soapbox

 

 

I understand your point of view. But next year when the 8th graders are Freshman do you now cut those you kept the previous year, because evidently they weren't as good as the 8th graders? I guess the kids may get one year of High School ball. This could be an issue where several people will just have to agree to disagree because it would probably overtake the Thread.

I'm sure replacing a bunter will be a little easier than replacing the hitting that Osuna provided and fielding that Thomas provided. :lol:

 

I'm sure he did more than just bunt CT. :rolleyes:

I understand your point of view. But next year when the 8th graders are Freshman do you now cut those you kept the previous year, because evidently they weren't as good as the 8th graders? I guess the kids may get one year of High School ball. This could be an issue where several people will just have to agree to disagree because it would probably overtake the Thread.

 

My point has been and will continue to be, that kids in HS should get to play HS sports, if they can make the team over other HS kids. Middle school kids (and I don't care how good they are) should play middle school sports until they are in HS. Now understand, if you have number problems no big deal, but to cut a HS aged kid because a non HS aged kid is better, sorry but his turn will come when he is in HS.

 

Can you tell me any kid who plays for a college team but doesn't

attend the college as a student?

 

BTW as most know, I don't have a son but the young man in question is a fellow employee son! The young man didn't make the team and while he wasn't happy, he understood but if he had only lived in a different part of Boone County, he would have had the thrill of his life and that was playing HS baseball.

  • Author
Middle school kids (and I don't care how good they are) should play middle school sports until they are in HS. Now understand, if you have number problems no big deal, but to cut a HS aged kid because a non HS aged kid is better, sorry but his turn will come when he is in HS.
Can't agree here. If a Coach wants to keep a certain number of Players and a Middle School age player is better already than a High School age player, nothing wrong at all with doing so.

 

Development into the JV or Varsity, will only enhance the MS players fundamentals and adjustment into the game. If you have to make a choice, it should be based off potential to help when called on to perform and not the current grade.

Can't agree here. If a Coach wants to keep a certain number of Players and a Middle School age player is better already than a High School age player, nothing wrong at all with doing so.

 

Development into the JV or Varsity, will only enhance the MS players fundamentals and adjustment into the game. If you have to make a choice, it should be based off potential to help when called on to perform and not the current grade.

 

:thumb:

Can't agree here. If a Coach wants to keep a certain number of Players and a Middle School age player is better already than a High School age player, nothing wrong at all with doing so.

 

Development into the JV or Varsity, will only enhance the MS players fundamentals and adjustment into the game. If you have to make a choice, it should be based off potential to help when called on to perform and not the current grade.

 

Can you tell me any kid who plays for a college team but doesn't

attend the college as a student?

 

So student X a senior in HS is better than some college kids, so why isn't he playing on the college team? Oh that right, he doesn't go to the school yet!

  • Author
Can you tell me any kid who plays for a college team but doesn't

attend the college as a student?

This is High School and not College, has nothing to do with anything. The KHSAA allows student-athletes to play Baseball for Varsity/JV or Middle School teams.

 

If a Coach selects talent, then it's based off ability to help.

This is High School and not College, has nothing to do with anything. The KHSAA allows student-athletes to play Baseball for Varsity/JV or Middle School teams.

 

The difference to Middle School to High School to College is?

 

What other states allow it? I know Ohio doesn't and I think not many else allow it either. From what I can remember wasn't it the legislators who stepped in to make it happen. Sure in some communities where numbers are a problem I can (not that I like it) understand but in large schools, sorry.....

I agree with old guy here. Most kids at the middle school age while perhaps good players cannot compete in high school, develope bad habits such dropping hands because the bats to heavy, straining to make the throws because of distance and the runners are faster so they rush. These just a few things. At least their parents can brag about them though.

  • Author
The difference to Middle School to High School to College is?

 

What other states allow it? I know Ohio doesn't and I think not many else allow it either. From what I can remember wasn't it the legislators who stepped in to make it happen. Sure in some communities where numbers are a problem I can (not that I like it) understand but in large schools, sorry.....

Not sure why you keep mentioning College. It has nothing to do with High School student-athletes, playing a sport.

 

Whether it's aloud in other states, not relevant to me. The KHSAA permits it and Coaches can choose whom they want.

 

The topic is 9th Region Baseball, so lets get back on that path.

Well, trying to get back on topic, but also raising the middle schoool concern at the same time. Villa will be very young - 3 Seniors, 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore, 3 Freshman, and 6 8th graders. They had to recruit 8th graders or not have a team. Nice that the big schools have choices to cut, but small schools have to make due with what they can in order to even field a team sometimes. It is hard to believe that Villa won the 34th district just a few years ago, now struggle to field a team. They have a great coach who will get the most out of them and you better watch out in a few years when the younger boys get older.

I have a family member who at a large school [3000 kids] and a baseball powerhouse in the south, played on the JV team as a 7th and 8th grader. He was MVP his 8th grade year, and went on to have a very successful HS career. Is now playing D1 baseball. I do not agree with people who think middle schoolers should not have the opportunity to be on a HS team. As long as the kid is playing people on their own level, that is what matters. It makes the player better. A middle school with the talent my family member had did not benefit from playing with kids his own age.

Well, trying to get back on topic, but also raising the middle schoool concern at the same time. Villa will be very young - 3 Seniors, 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore, 3 Freshman, and 6 8th graders. They had to recruit 8th graders or not have a team. Nice that the big schools have choices to cut, but small schools have to make due with what they can in order to even field a team sometimes. It is hard to believe that Villa won the 34th district just a few years ago, now struggle to field a team. They have a great coach who will get the most out of them and you better watch out in a few years when the younger boys get older.

 

Will they all be staying at Villa? I know in year's past that Villa has had problems with 8th graders playing varsity and then going on to other highschool's.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.