Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Tubby/BCG Debate

Featured Replies

For those who are saying BCG hasn't shown recruiting skills quite yet are mistaken. You must remember he has only been here for 2 years. The 2010 class he is recruiting should be in the top 5 in the country. Not to mention he's added on Daniel Orton who reminds me of a Randolph Morris for next year, a shooter in Jon Hood, and a fresh PG in GJ Vilarino. The man knows what he's doing when he's recruiting and you cannot judge him until you give him time. Next year will probably be another average year and the year after as well. Just wait until the players that are coming in develop properly and he will show why Kentucky chose him in the first place. Let him develop his own team off of his own recruiting and players that fit his style of play. You might want to give up on him already but I'm about 3 to 4 years ready to give up on him.

  • Replies 103
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
For those who are saying BCG hasn't shown recruiting skills quite yet are mistaken. You must remember he has only been here for 2 years. The 2010 class he is recruiting should be in the top 5 in the country. Not to mention he's added on Daniel Orton who reminds me of a Randolph Morris for next year, a shooter in Jon Hood, and a fresh PG in GJ Vilarino. The man knows what he's doing when he's recruiting and you cannot judge him until you give him time. Next year will probably be another average year and the year after as well. Just wait until the players that are coming in develop properly and he will show why Kentucky chose him in the first place. Let him develop his own team off of his own recruiting and players that fit his style of play. You might want to give up on him already but I'm about 3 to 4 years ready to give up on him.

Easy to have faith when he has shown several times all he needs is time to get in his own players. Wait......

Easy to have faith when he has shown several times all he needs is time to get in his own players. Wait......

 

:thumb: I agree and am waiting. I was just commenting that Tubby is imo the far better coach, not that BCG is a bad coach.

I am certainly not one of the ones ready to fire the guy.

Tubby has proven he is a top coach. It is only fair to give BCG more time to prove himself. :popcorn:

  • Author
:thumb: I agree and am waiting. I was just commenting that Tubby is imo the far better coach, not that BCG is a bad coach.

I am certainly not one of the ones ready to fire the guy.

 

I just find it funny people say just wait and see when all he has ever done is come in, make a quick turnaround and bolt...:sssh:

I just find it funny people say just wait and see when all he has ever done is come in, make a quick turnaround and bolt...:sssh:

 

That is true, but I don't see him going up from where he is. Some may say the NBA, but in my opinion that is down. Besides his Ego would not work well with the Bigs.

What other choice do we have but to wait and see. :idunno:

I just find it funny people say just wait and see when all he has ever done is come in, make a quick turnaround and bolt...:sssh:

 

You're really trying to get a bite on this one, aren't you?

 

Tubby's head coaching stints before UK were 4 years, then 2 years.

BCG's were 2, then 3.

  • Author
You're really trying to get a bite on this one, aren't you?

 

Tubby's head coaching stints before UK were 4 years, then 2 years.

BCG's were 2, then 3.

Is it an invalid point to those that keep saying it will all work out in time?

 

Didn't seem to go that route for Tubby, did it???

Is it an invalid point to those that keep saying it will all work out in time?

 

Didn't seem to go that route for Tubby, did it???

 

I don't thing BCG walked into the same situation Tubby did.

 

I don't see anyone calling for a 10 year grace period either.

Is it an invalid point to those that keep saying it will all work out in time?

 

Didn't seem to go that route for Tubby, did it???

Do you think that you can learn a lot about a coach's ability in his first few years?

 

If you are trying to make the point that he leaves after a short period of time, then I get it. Personally, I don't see where else he goes- do many college basketball coaches get paid better than at UK?

 

Anyways, if he could turn us around and then leave, at least we'd be good again. :lol:

  • Author

I don't think he's looking to leave. Only pointing out the "he'll get it done in time" theory has no foundation. Problem is right now he's not accomplishing what we know he is good at...

Reggie Theus was the guy for this job...we would be in the top ten right now if barnhart would have gone after this guy

 

Not a chance.

Tubby can coach, give him the kids with a little talent and work hard on defense, he will be ok, if he starts getting the talent in the state he will probably win the conference in two years. His team surely plays hard.

I don't think he's looking to leave. Only pointing out the "he'll get it done in time" theory has no foundation. Problem is right now he's not accomplishing what we know he is good at...

 

And he was your first choice. :jump:

I just find it funny people say just wait and see when all he has ever done is come in, make a quick turnaround and bolt...:sssh:

 

Not much choice but to "wait and see"...

 

The majority of people with realistic expectations knew Gillispie would need a few years to get it turned around. I suppose the basis is that he's been successful in short stints elsewhere...its not a stretch to think he might succeed with more time.

 

As for the job he's done to date, what's so bad about it? UK exceeded expectations last year despite struggling early and battling injuries to key players for much of the year. They were faring much better than expected this year prior to this 3 game skid...and one three game stretch isn't the whole season.

 

For sure, you bring up some valid points/concerns.

 

However, anyone with a reasonable outlook knew it would require some time for him to get the ship turned around. The question is, are we willing to actually give him that time, or are we going to go through coaches like UCLA did after John Wooden, hoping for a miracle worker who can turn a team around in one season?

 

As for the Tubby/BCG debate, I'm not interested in that one. Two different situations, two different coaches...Tubby's done very well at Minnesota. I wish him well, but I'm still glad he's there and not here. I think it was time for a change...

 

Nobody knows for sure if Gillispie is the right guy for the UK job. But, I can tell you that the absolute wrong move is to get rid of him before he's been given a fair chance (i.e., enough time) to prove it one way or another. It seems like its hard for teams to get out of that coaching carousel cycle once they start down that road, and I don't want to see that in Lexington.

 

UK fans, for the most part, have unrealistic expectations...what else is new?:idunno:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.