February 4, 200917 yr Tubby is a better in game coach. BCG is a better recruiter/conditioner. If they coached two teams with equal talent, Tubby would win. But given time, I think a BCG recruited team will be more talented than a Tubby recruited team. Tubby also had the issue of refusing to change assistants. (Who were all so good that he took exactly none of them to UM with him) Tubby has done great at UM, and it seems he's enjoying himself more and pouring more of himself into it than he was at UK at the end. BCG needs at LEAST one more season to show what he can do, and possibly 2 more. PG could still be an issue next year, but add a solid big in Orton, and a solid wing in Hood, plus Miller getting better. At this point, I'm assuming both Meeks and PP will be back. I don't think either is a lottery pick at this point. I like this lineup, and they'd all be BCG's except Meeks. Liggins Meeks Miller/Hood Patterson Orton
February 4, 200917 yr Tubby is a better in game coach. BCG is a better recruiter/conditioner. If they coached two teams with equal talent, Tubby would win. But given time, I think a BCG recruited team will be more talented than a Tubby recruited team. Tubby also had the issue of refusing to change assistants. (Who were all so good that he took exactly none of them to UM with him) Tubby has done great at UM, and it seems he's enjoying himself more and pouring more of himself into it than he was at UK at the end. BCG needs at LEAST one more season to show what he can do, and possibly 2 more. PG could still be an issue next year, but add a solid big in Orton, and a solid wing in Hood, plus Miller getting better. At this point, I'm assuming both Meeks and PP will be back. I don't think either is a lottery pick at this point. I like this lineup, and they'd all be BCG's except Meeks. Liggins Meeks Miller/Hood Patterson Orton Why should point guard still be a problem? Over the past two years Ole Miss has brought in 2 point guards better than any on UK's roster in Terrico White and Chris Warren. If he is such a great recruiter why can't he find a guard when Ole Miss can?
February 4, 200917 yr No comparison. Tubby is an outstanding coach who has won a national championship. BCG has never led a team past the sweet 16. I am beginning to think that the UK job might be to big of a job for BCG. He doesn't seem to make adjustments, something Tubby was great at. I keep hearing how great of a recruiter he is. I don't get it. I don't think most people realize that he didn't recruit Law at A&M and Patterson (and Lucas) would of probably been Cats with Tubby.
February 4, 200917 yr 2. Yes the talent level had dipped a little, but not a huge drop. As early as 2004-05 recruiting class was number 1 rated. Although this class was arguably Tubby's undoing as Rondo and Morris left early and Morris never realized his potential. Crawford and Bradley stayed all 4 years and had decent careers. This class and the Sheray Thomas/Bobby Perry class were the beginning of the end for Tubby. 4. Tubby, while he may be stuborn, is 3X the coach that BCG is. IMO he knows and reads the game much better than BCG. He is a master at keeping the other team off balance by switching defenses and preparing to counter what the opponent does best (that is probably the most important thing he learned under Pitino, because if Tubby is the master, Pitino is the wizard). Tubby makes in game adjustments and does not try to fit a square peg in a round hole like BCG. 5. Minnesota's mess was far, far, far worse. Tubby inherited a team that was 9-21. BCG inherited a team that was 22-12. Tubby went 18-12 in his first year with Minnesota, BCG 18-13. The SEC has been a shadow of its former self in the last 2 seasons as well. When UK was crushing the SEC under Tubby, the SEC had much more depth and talent than it does now. Good Post :thumb: Pitino said that when Tubby left UK that it would set UK back several years.
February 4, 200917 yr 2. Yes the talent level had dipped a little, but not a huge drop. As early as 2004-05 recruiting class was number 1 rated. Although this class was arguably Tubby's undoing as Rondo and Morris left early and Morris never realized his potential. Crawford and Bradley stayed all 4 years and had decent careers. This class and the Sheray Thomas/Bobby Perry class were the beginning of the end for Tubby. 4. Tubby, while he may be stuborn, is 3X the coach that BCG is. IMO he knows and reads the game much better than BCG. He is a master at keeping the other team off balance by switching defenses and preparing to counter what the opponent does best (that is probably the most important thing he learned under Pitino, because if Tubby is the master, Pitino is the wizard). Tubby makes in game adjustments and does not try to fit a square peg in a round hole like BCG. 5. Minnesota's mess was far, far, far worse. Tubby inherited a team that was 9-21. BCG inherited a team that was 22-12. Tubby went 18-12 in his first year with Minnesota, BCG 18-13. The SEC has been a shadow of its former self in the last 2 seasons as well. When UK was crushing the SEC under Tubby, the SEC had much more depth and talent than it does now. I have to agree with Gunner........... Plus Tubby had brought in Meeks and Jasper.
February 4, 200917 yr The biggest problem I see is the roster. Its simply not very good right now. There is only 1 shooter on the team and 1 good scorer inside. Its hard when you only have 2 guys that can score consistently. Now for a while we were able to combat that by playing great defense. In the last 3 games we have not played that good of defense. Patterson has played more like he did against UNC then he did the 1st 5 SEC games. Now the silver lining in all this is that Patterson and Meeks neither one looked like great pro prospect recently. Varnardo always gives Patterson fits (which he probably does that to about everyone). Now if we can get those 2 guys back and have players like Miller and Liggins develop that will really help. Gillispie needs more time to get things going.
February 4, 200917 yr Not a good comparison--Tubby @ Minnesota vs. Billy @ UK. Two different programs with two completely different levels of expectation. Tubby inherited a top-10 caliber program at UK. He left it anything but that. Billy inherited an average squad, and at the very best, has maintained that status. We have not improved at all from Tubby to Billy. If Tubby were the great coach that some claim him to be, he would have left UK for the Minnesota TIMBERWOLVES & not the Minnesota GOLDEN GOPHERS. Tubby is a GOOD coach, and a quality human being. I respect him for that greatly. But he's not a GREAT coach. Billy, like Tubby, has proven to be able to rebuild average programs, but has not seen that success at a major program like UK. I see Bubble Billy & Ten Loss Tubby in the same category. Good coaches for average programs. But not great coaches for top-notch programs.
February 4, 200917 yr Author Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly...
February 4, 200917 yr Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly... I don't really know the team he took over @ A&M. But I don't see any indication that he'll turn UK around anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
February 4, 200917 yr Author I don't really know the team he took over @ A&M. But I don't see any indication that he'll turn UK around anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. They went 0-16 in the Big 12 the year before he got there if that helps...
February 4, 200917 yr Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly... The talent level IMO was 10x better at UK.
February 4, 200917 yr Probably not a great comparison. A&M is an average program that was at rock bottom. The only place to go was up. Similar to what Tubby is experiencing @ Minnesota. But to answer your question, I did see A&M when Billy was there. I thought they were hard-nosed and good on the perimeter. I actually had them in the Final 4 in my bracket his last year there. And I think they had what it took to be that kind of team. It's just hard to compare what he inherited there to what he inherited here. Two completely different programs.
February 4, 200917 yr Not a good comparison--Tubby @ Minnesota vs. Billy @ UK. Two different programs with two completely different levels of expectation. Tubby inherited a top-10 caliber program at UK. He left it anything but that. Billy inherited an average squad, and at the very best, has maintained that status. We have not improved at all from Tubby to Billy. If Tubby were the great coach that some claim him to be, he would have left UK for the Minnesota TIMBERWOLVES & not the Minnesota GOLDEN GOPHERS. Tubby is a GOOD coach, and a quality human being. I respect him for that greatly. But he's not a GREAT coach. Billy, like Tubby, has proven to be able to rebuild average programs, but has not seen that success at a major program like UK. I see Bubble Billy & Ten Loss Tubby in the same category. Good coaches for average programs. But not great coaches for top-notch programs. Tubby has been offered NBA jobs before, and has turned them down. UK has gotten worse the past 2 years under Gillispie. This is by far the worst team I've ever watched play at UK, and way too talented to be playing this bad. Expectations are different at UK & Minnesota, but Tubby is leading Minnesota a lot closer to UK expectations than those he sees at UM. Tubby inherited a program at UK that could only go down. Gillispie has inherited a program that seemingly can only go up, and has somehow found a way to make them worse. To me it's no comparison, Tubby is a top 10 coach in the country, whereas Gillispie maybe makes the top 30....
February 4, 200917 yr Probably not a great comparison. A&M is an average program that was at rock bottom. The only place to go was up. Similar to what Tubby is experiencing @ Minnesota. But to answer your question, I did see A&M when Billy was there. I thought they were hard-nosed and good on the perimeter. I actually had them in the Final 4 in my bracket his last year there. And I think they had what it took to be that kind of team. It's just hard to compare what he inherited there to what he inherited here. Two completely different programs. The only place for UK to go under Gillispie was up, and somehow he's managed to go backwards...
February 4, 200917 yr I would assume that the A&M schedule that Billy G inherited was much easier than the Uk schedule. THat has to be factored in if you are going to compare the two jobs he had done. Also, he had one of the best point guards in the country. AND PG is the MOST IMPORTANT position on the floor. THey can make a coach look like a genius when they are good. And like a fool when they are bad.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.