February 4, 200917 yr I would assume that the A&M schedule that Billy G inherited was much easier than the Uk schedule. THat has to be factored in if you are going to compare the two jobs he had done. Also, he had one of the best point guards in the country. AND PG is the MOST IMPORTANT position on the floor. THey can make a coach look like a genius when they are good. And like a fool when they are bad. You forget that Law IV had 1 foot out the door during Gillispie's first year there, because they didn't get along at all. They were able to work it out, which is why I think Liggins could be a great one.
February 4, 200917 yr No comparison. Tubby is an outstanding coach who has won a national championship. BCG has never led a team past the sweet 16. Tubby's best tourny appearance prior to coming to UK? Thats right... Sweet 16.
February 4, 200917 yr Reggie Theus was the guy for this job...we would be in the top ten right now if barnhart would have gone after this guy
February 4, 200917 yr Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly... Do you think its easier to get a 7-21 team to buy into your system than a 22-12 team? He did end record losing streaks to both Florida and Vandy last year.
February 4, 200917 yr Do you think its easier to get a 7-21 team to buy into your system than a 22-12 team? He did end record losing streaks to both Florida and Vandy last year. And has had some long winning streaks broken too.
February 4, 200917 yr Author Do you think its easier to get a 7-21 team to buy into your system than a 22-12 team? I think it shouldn't matter...
February 4, 200917 yr Do you think its easier to get a 7-21 team to buy into your system than a 22-12 team? He did end record losing streaks to both Florida and Vandy last year. I think you throw winning streaks out the window,when you graduate players you have a different team
February 4, 200917 yr Tubby has been offered NBA jobs before, and has turned them down. UK has gotten worse the past 2 years under Gillispie. This is by far the worst team I've ever watched play at UK, and way too talented to be playing this bad. Expectations are different at UK & Minnesota, but Tubby is leading Minnesota a lot closer to UK expectations than those he sees at UM. Tubby inherited a program at UK that could only go down. Gillispie has inherited a program that seemingly can only go up, and has somehow found a way to make them worse. To me it's no comparison, Tubby is a top 10 coach in the country, whereas Gillispie maybe makes the top 30.... How many NBA jobs was Tubby offered his last two years @ UK? You're right. Tubby could not have realistically elevated UK when he arrived. But how he left it and how he inherited it were a far cry from one another. What Rick left Tubby & what Tubby left Billy reveals that Tubby is not a top-10 coach.
February 4, 200917 yr And has had some long winning streaks broken too. Billy has some streaks that he shouldn't be proud of, but Tubby had his share as well. As I've said, they're one-and-the same with me. What Tubby has that Billy doesn't is class.
February 4, 200917 yr Billy G is no where near the coach that Tubby is, and never will he be close. If Tubby was at Kentucky last year they would have won more than 18 games, I'm sorry. This year they would be better than 16-7 and not losing 3 straight games in the SEC. Tubby went through pure heat while at UK, the man could barely breathe for all the hatred. UK fans forget the good things this man brought to that school in 10 years. Now Tubby took a team who won 9 games the year before he arrived, and now has turned them back into a winner. He should have back to back 20 win seasons, and go to the NCAA tournament. Tubby deserves far more credit then he receives. But that just me..
February 4, 200917 yr One spot that I think Tubby outshines BCG is preparation for an opponent. Cameron Mills would not get to play for Billy G because of his lack of being able to play M2M defense. Last night, Billy G puts Slone, whom I believe is a good to great outside shooter, into the game. Somehow he ends up guarding the point guard???????????????? And beaten each and every time. His defensive philosophy does not allow him to have a great shooter but weak defender on the floor. In zones you cand do some things to hide players that you cannot do in M2M especially when you have them extend the defense to midcourt/3/4's court with on ball pressure and no trapping.
February 4, 200917 yr Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly... I'd say the talent level was worse at A&M, but in overall talent and talent relative to the rest of the league. However, expectations were very different. I sometimes believe people are too hard on BCG- when I used to work in the athletic department, he looked unbelievably tired and beatdown. I know he has a rep as a workoholic, but I thought he looked bad. And isn't the southwest his recruiting area? It was probably not as difficult to adjust.
February 4, 200917 yr Author I'd say the talent level was worse at A&M, but in overall talent and talent relative to the rest of the league. However, expectations were very different. I sometimes believe people are too hard on BCG- when I used to work in the athletic department, he looked unbelievably tired and beatdown. I know he has a rep as a workoholic, but I thought he looked bad. And isn't the southwest his recruiting area? It was probably not as difficult to adjust. His recruiting was good but not great at A&M in his own recruiting back yard...
February 4, 200917 yr His recruiting was good but not great at A&M in his own recruiting back yard... So then what's the difference? Why did he turn it around there but not here? If he can't coach in game and can't recruit in his own backyard then A) how did he turn it around there? B) what did UK see in him?
February 4, 200917 yr One spot that I think Tubby outshines BCG is preparation for an opponent. Cameron Mills would not get to play for Billy G because of his lack of being able to play M2M defense. Last night, Billy G puts Slone, whom I believe is a good to great outside shooter, into the game. Somehow he ends up guarding the point guard???????????????? And beaten each and every time. His defensive philosophy does not allow him to have a great shooter but weak defender on the floor. In zones you cand do some things to hide players that you cannot do in M2M especially when you have them extend the defense to midcourt/3/4's court with on ball pressure and no trapping. Agree on the preparation point, and also share the frustration about Billy's refusal to play anything but M2M. And not only was Slone on the PG, but Perry Stevenson was in there guarding on the perimeter too--which may be dumber. Conversely, Billy's teams hit free throws much better than Tubby's teams--a few of which rank lowest in FT% in UK history. Even though Stevenson choked Saturday, Billy's two squads hit it from the charity stripe much better.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.