February 4, 200917 yr Author So then what's the difference? Why did he turn it around there but not here? If he can't coach in game and can't recruit in his own backyard then A) how did he turn it around there? B) what did UK see in him? Aice Law landed in his lap. Then he put the same type long and lean athletes on the wing and got a steal in a Euro big man that panned out better than expected. The difference is Law was a PG and Meeks is a SG. With the ball always in the hands of their best player, they were tough to beat. That's why I suggested maybe trying Meeks at PG early in the year...
February 4, 200917 yr Aice Law landed in his lap. Then he put the same type long and lean athletes on the wing and got a steal in a Euro big man that panned out better than expected. The difference is Law was a PG and Meeks is a SG. With the ball always in the hands of their best player, they were tough to beat. That's why I suggested maybe trying Meeks at PG early in the year... I've long thought Meeks should key the offense. I'd rather have Meeks turning it over than Porter/Liggins. And I'd rather Meeks miss a forced shot than Liggins/Miller/Porter take a somewhat challenged--maybe even wide open--shot.
February 4, 200917 yr Billy G is headed for 19-21 wins, which doesn't look good because the lack of a really tough schedule. Last year he had UK at 18-13, they went 12-4 in the conference and lost their opener in the tournament. So out of UK's 13 losses, 5 of them came inside their conference. So they were 6-8 outside of the SEC. That's a pretty poor stat. Last years UK team was almost the same as this one, minus a Jodee Meeks like he is this season. Bradley and Crawford were both good players who I believe UK fans see how much they needed. My point, Tubby is winning at a program that couldn't smell double digit wins in a season a couple years ago. I know the two are very different programs, and conferences, but the Big 10 is better than the SEC when it comes to basketball, I'm sorry. Tubby has won some nice Big 10 games, while Billy G has lost 3 straight in a down SEC. And it could reach 5 straight.
February 4, 200917 yr That's why I suggested maybe trying Meeks at PG early in the year... That's an excellent idea. People say "Meeks would score less points" but I say 1) Who cares how many he scores and 2) I doubt it. Meeks is best off the dribble, why not have him the bring the ball up the court?
February 4, 200917 yr Tubby's best tourny appearance prior to coming to UK? Thats right... Sweet 16. With three different teams.
February 4, 200917 yr 2. Yes the talent level had dipped a little, but not a huge drop. As early as 2004-05 recruiting class was number 1 rated. Although this class was arguably Tubby's undoing as Rondo and Morris left early and Morris never realized his potential. Crawford and Bradley stayed all 4 years and had decent careers. This class and the Sheray Thomas/Bobby Perry class were the beginning of the end for Tubby. 4. Tubby, while he may be stuborn, is 3X the coach that BCG is. IMO he knows and reads the game much better than BCG. He is a master at keeping the other team off balance by switching defenses and preparing to counter what the opponent does best (that is probably the most important thing he learned under Pitino, because if Tubby is the master, Pitino is the wizard). Tubby makes in game adjustments and does not try to fit a square peg in a round hole like BCG. 5. Minnesota's mess was far, far, far worse. Tubby inherited a team that was 9-21. BCG inherited a team that was 22-12. Tubby went 18-12 in his first year with Minnesota, BCG 18-13. The SEC has been a shadow of its former self in the last 2 seasons as well. When UK was crushing the SEC under Tubby, the SEC had much more depth and talent than it does now. :thumb:Very welll put, he was higly criticized for not recruiting heavily like Gillispie, but he's got some nice talent coming into Minnesota and already has got some on his team this year. I would take Tubbby anyday over BCG, because Tubby definatley knows how to coach the game better and make in-game adjustments, which I have not seen from BCG.
February 4, 200917 yr Author Gillispie's in game adjustments happen in the pre season... :thumb: :ohbrother:
February 4, 200917 yr Gillispie's in game adjustments happen in the pre season... :thumb: :ohbrother: How can you make ANY in game defensive adjustments when you play defense ONE WAY?? He has no flexibility on the defensive end because it seems they practice no other way than the one they ALWAYS play.
February 4, 200917 yr Such a tough comparison due to expectations..........Meaning if Minnesota had UK overall and conference record the fans would be happy. At UK it all boils down to NCAA championships not improving year by year. Minnesota does not expect to win a Big 10 championship so there in lies the problem with comparing the two programs. Now as far as disappointing or not UK is currently playing disappointing because they are making no adjustments. They have seen a Box and 1 and a modified Box and 1 (last night) switching the chaser as Meeks passed through the zone and have not come up with something to combat this.
February 4, 200917 yr Tubby is hands down a better in game coach. If I had a choice between the two to lead my program, I'd take Tubby 10 out of 10 times. Coach Gillispie doesn't seem to make any adjustments in game, and there are times where I think he just doesn't have a clue what's going on. I'm really starting to doubt him. :thumb:
February 4, 200917 yr 4. Tubby, while he may be stuborn, is 3X the coach that BCG is. IMO he knows and reads the game much better than BCG. He is a master at keeping the other team off balance by switching defenses and preparing to counter what the opponent does best. Tubby makes in game adjustments and does not try to fit a square peg in a round hole like BCG. 5. Minnesota's mess was far, far, far worse. Tubby inherited a team that was 9-21. BCG inherited a team that was 22-12. Tubby went 18-12 in his first year with Minnesota, BCG 18-13. The SEC has been a shadow of its former self in the last 2 seasons as well. When UK was crushing the SEC under Tubby, the SEC had much more depth and talent than it does now. :thumb: Very well said, absolutely no comparison. BCG is not even in the same league as Tubby as a coach. Tubby can COACH wayyyyyyy better. :thumb: Well said Gunner11! Tubby is a tremendous in-game coach! :thumb: Tubby is hands down a better in game coach. If I had a choice between the two to lead my program, I'd take Tubby 10 out of 10 times. Amen to this! :ylsuper: I am still willing to give BCG a chance. I don't see the constant adjustments that can be made that everyone claims he has missed. There is not anyone here that can play. :confused: I can't hardly believe I just read this....no comment. No comparison. Tubby is an outstanding coach who has won a national championship. BCG has never led a team past the sweet 16. I am beginning to think that the UK job might be to big of a job for BCG. He doesn't seem to make adjustments, something Tubby was great at. I keep hearing how great of a recruiter he is. I don't get it. I don't think most people realize that he didn't recruit Law at A&M and Patterson (and Lucas) would of probably been Cats with Tubby. :thumb::thumb: Again, absolutely. No matter how anyone wants to spin it Tubby recruited and had Patterson locked up, BCG came in, made avisit to confirm that he wanted him as well. Do you guys think the talent level was worse than what Billy took over at A&M? He turned that around very quickly... Not really sure I honestly didn't keep up with A&M when BCG first got there to know what he inherited. I do know that the expectations when BCG got to U.T.E.P. and A&M were no where near what they were when he came to Lexington. Those two had no tradition and were losing programs and U.K. is the winningest program in NCAA history. I will say that I support BCG, he is our coach but I will say that I am having some doubts about him. Being a U.K. fan all my life and always will be I will always support whoever is here untill they prove they have practically destroyed the program.....(Eddie Sutton :madman:). I still have to laugh at ones who claimed that Tubby was destroying the U.K. program, what an absolute joke! Check his record while here, (not what your expectations were) and it speaks for itself. I wanted more championships as well but am not so unrealistic about it to blame all on Tubby Smith, that is ridiculous and laughable! O.K., I have has my little say and will also say that I am a U.K. fan and BCG is now our coach. I am behind him all the way but am sure I will be frustrated at times as I have been at one time or another with all that have been here. I have also been very happy with and defended all that have been here more times than not. (well, except for when the above mentioned E.S. took us down) I will continue to pull for and support Tubby, I hope he wins em' all.........except for if he should face my U.K. Wildcats and I will support him after that game (should it ever happen) is over:thumb:
February 4, 200917 yr The thing that I loved about Tubby is how he would take out the starting 5 in the first two minutes of the game if they weren't performing well enough for his standards. Last night, it took all of about 6 minutes to score a bucket if I remember correctly. If Tubby was on the sidelines, those 5 would have been out in a heartbeat.
February 4, 200917 yr The thing that I loved about Tubby is how he would take out the starting 5 in the first two minutes of the game if they weren't performing well enough for his standards. Last night, it took all of about 6 minutes to score a bucket if I remember correctly. If Tubby was on the sidelines, those 5 would have been out in a heartbeat. Agreed. I was hoping BCG would do that last night. But on Saturday, down one, Tubby would have designed a play for Sheray Thomas to get the ball in the post. I don't know if anybody remembers that game--maybe against LSU--when the final play was set up for Sheray Thomas. Again, Tubby has his positives, and he's a good coach. I just don't think he's as great as some make him out to be. And I see Billy in the same light.
February 4, 200917 yr Aice Law landed in his lap. Then he put the same type long and lean athletes on the wing and got a steal in a Euro big man that panned out better than expected. The difference is Law was a PG and Meeks is a SG. With the ball always in the hands of their best player, they were tough to beat. That's why I suggested maybe trying Meeks at PG early in the year... Whatever happened to that Eurpoean player. He was a very, very good high post player. At A&M Billy's trademark was switching defenses and half time adjustments.
February 4, 200917 yr Kentucky, in '98, was in a postition to be in the hunt for a final 4 every year and at least make 2 in the next decade. They didn't get it done and underperformed w/ 3 ten loss seasons in a row. Tubby couldn't develop talent. He needed mature players and if he didn't have them, he certainly couldn't mold them. Look at what Billy G did last year w/ Crawford. He was at least 10 lbs lighter and much stronger than under Tubby. He definitely was more disciplined. Give Billy G more than one and a half years before trying to throw him out the door. High turnover is what destroys programs.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.