Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Tubby/BCG Debate

Featured Replies

I am still willing to give BCG a chance. I don't see the constant adjustments that can be made that everyone claims he has missed. There is not anyone here that can play.

 

Basically, the way I look at it, Patterson, while he can score, needs to have a shooter. He draws a lot of double teams, and in the past he used to dish out. But no one can hit open 3's- even Jodie is not much of a stand still shooter. So now he is being forced to take it with multiple defenders.

 

I think Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins, and Kevin Galloway are 3 guys that could develop into excellent players. I think this year will help them. But they are relying on them way too much- I don't think Coach Gillispie has a choice.

 

I say give him a chance. We lost patience with Tubby when he could no longer do it with his players. He was an excellent in-game coach- and I love the fact that he took Pitino's players and formulated a system that worked for them.

 

BCG is not as good as adjusting, but I think he knows how to build a team. He needs more time than Tubby did. We'll see how wrong I am in the next few years (or next few posts)

 

:thumb: Excellent post on all points!

  • Replies 103
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Revisionist history...

 

What also seems to be forgotten is the probability of Jai Lucas solving the point guard problems.

I still think BCG is a really good X and O guy. I think his stubborness on defense overshadows a lot. If you know the game you notice plays and situations in which BCG does a really good job. He is by far a superior OB, SLOB situation coach.

If you notice OTS is not playing much the same way now as he did at UK the last few years.

I dont remember UK playing much zone under OTS at UK.

I think the players are in far far better condition now than the last few years.

Look at the shape Patrick Sparks was in when he left UK.

I also feel that OTS came into a situation at Minnesota where the players were starving to be coached and were obedient from day 1.

BCG has had to come in a change a culture and had to shape his two leaders last year in Bradley and Crawford.

I think both are very good coaches...both situation were/are unique.

 

UK played several different zones, 1-2-2, 2-3, and even some 3-2 on a rare occasion. They also played a matchup zone and had several zone presses. I think BCG has to be able to adapt better during games. You have to be able to adapt to conditions and different matchups. I agree that he does a pretty good job on dead ball situations. Yes the players are in great physical condition under BCG. Tubby was no slouch in that department either. That is almost a given in today's game. I have not seen much X and O magic from BCG yet. How many Tubby teams, or any UK teams for that matter, averaged 20+ turnovers a game (against probably the weakest schedule a UK team has ever played)?

Tubby had almost convinced Patterson to come? He was considered a Florida lean most of the time.

After he left, UK fell to a distant third.

BCG overcame UF and Duke to get him.

Meeks was hurt most of last year.

He left a serviceable player in Jasper, but he left.

Right now, within one year plus, Tubby left Harris, Carter, Porter, AJ Stewart, and Stevenson. Cant forget the lovely and talented Mike Williams.

This is something that most people don't pay attention too. Truly awful.

I think Tubby is the better in game coach and is a class guy. He is a family guy that you would trust your kids with.

4. Tubby, while he may be stuborn, is 3X the coach that BCG is. IMO he knows and reads the game much better than BCG. He is a master at keeping the other team off balance by switching defenses and preparing to counter what the opponent does best (that is probably the most important thing he learned under Pitino, because if Tubby is the master, Pitino is the wizard). Tubby makes in game adjustments and does not try to fit a square peg in a round hole like BCG.

 

 

Absolutely. Tubby is a much better in game coach. BG needs to quit being stubborn and learn to switch defenses once in a while. Also, when South Carolina went on their run after our 10 point lead, he waited way to long to call a Time Out to stop the momentum change.

 

Too bad we can't have BG recruiting and Tubby's coaching!!!

I have read many posts say wait till Billy G gets a roster of his players.

 

Meeks jumps pro and the roster will be mainly his players next season.

I don't see them doing better without Meeks as they are doing now.

I would have to think Tubb's mess was worse when he got to Minnesota considering they went 9-22 the season before but then again, coaching at UK is a mess from the start because of the unrealistic expectations some UK fans have.

 

:thumb:

Tubby had almost convinced Patterson to come? He was considered a Florida lean most of the time.

After he left, UK fell to a distant third.

BCG overcame UF and Duke to get him.

Meeks was hurt most of last year.

He left a serviceable player in Jasper, but he left.

Right now, within one year plus, Tubby left Harris, Carter, Porter, AJ Stewart, and Stevenson. Cant forget the lovely and talented Mike Williams.

 

Straight from my sources in WV at the time, Patterson was coming to UK. They did drop to a tie for 2nd with Duke when Tubby left. BCG did a great job in getting UK back to #1 on his list

 

Tubby also left Bradley, Crawford and Meeks, but everyone seems to forget that.

Straight from my sources in WV at the time, Patterson was coming to UK. They did drop to a tie for 2nd with Duke when Tubby left. BCG did a great job in getting UK back to #1 on his list

 

Tubby also left Bradley, Crawford and Meeks, but everyone seems to forget that.

 

Add Rondo and Morris too if they had not left early. Add Jasper and that is a nice 6 players.

6. The only difference I see between the two is BCG doesn't have a son that is a terrible player that he can bring in to run the point as Tubby did.

 

Rick had no back up at the PG coming either as noone would come knowing it was Wayne Turner's show to run. Tubby had to find a back up and Saul was his only option. Saul was not terrible by any stretch and the numbers bear that out. He was serviceable, worked hard, but an average PG. Other coaches (very smartly) used the fact that the PG was Saul against UK (I would have done the same thing) and that made it more difficult. He finally got Hawkins who was a good PG at UK.

Add Rondo and Morris too if they had not left early. Add Jasper and that is a nice 6 players.

 

Forgot about Jasper.

I honestly feel that if Billy Gillispie stays a UK for five plus years, he will bring in enough outstanding players to cover up any lack of coaching ability he might have.

 

I must admit, he is not my favorite and with his abrasive personality and demeanor, he will probably never be my favorite.

 

If I had to name his greatest strength as a coach, I would tell you that it is that he is a tireless recruiter.

 

His greatest weakness as a coach.......don't get me started!

Straight from my sources in WV at the time, Patterson was coming to UK. They did drop to a tie for 2nd with Duke when Tubby left. BCG did a great job in getting UK back to #1 on his list

 

Tubby also left Bradley, Crawford and Meeks, but everyone seems to forget that.

I was under the same impression about Patrick Patterson. Also, Jai Lucas was in that mix with Tubby Smith still coaching at UK.

 

Tubby left plenty of talent at UK. You can't have 15 all-Americans on your team and I do agree that the team that Billy Gillispie inherited from Tubby Smith did not have 15 all-Americans on it.

 

Everyone wants to knock Jared Carter and Michael Porter. Tubby would have been a fool to not bring in a mobile 7'2" kid with a big upside. He just never showed much of that upside.

 

I do not think that Tubby brought in Michael Porter to ever be his lead guard. He is was projected to be a good yes sir, no sir kid who could practice hard and spot play. Also a kid whose father coached a wealth of talented players in Modesto, CA. so as to establish a recruiting pipeline for the future.

6. The only difference I see between the two is BCG doesn't have a son that is a terrible player that he can bring in to run the point as Tubby did.

 

I would take him as point guard on this team over who they have. If that was the case they might not turn the ball over as much.

 

Jasper stays and they might be better.

 

Everyone talks about how great a recruiter BCG is but I have not seen it. These players he is bringing in are no better than what was here when he got here. Patterson is his signing but without ground work by Tubby that might not have happend.

 

Tubby got backed in a corner on Carter. He was scared to let him out of the state due to Lofton.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.