Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Tubby/BCG Debate

Featured Replies

I just love how last season everyone was saying "where is the scoring going to come from?" when Joe and Ramel left... The comments were something like "We'll have Jodie and Pat, but not really anything else"... And this was BEFORE Jasper left.

 

Then all of a sudden, the summer hit... And this team was being praised and people had unrealistic high hopes... And then the season starts up, and what happens? Jodie and Patrick score, but not really anyone else.

 

The things that are effecting this team are not new to us.. People just need to remember that we all saw this coming last year, but somewhere along the lines the judgment got clouded.

  • Replies 103
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tubby had almost convinced Patterson to come? He was considered a Florida lean most of the time.

After he left, UK fell to a distant third.

BCG overcame UF and Duke to get him.

Meeks was hurt most of last year.

He left a serviceable player in Jasper, but he left.

Right now, within one year plus, Tubby left Harris, Carter, Porter, AJ Stewart, and Stevenson. Cant forget the lovely and talented Mike Williams.

 

Meeks played his freshmen year for Tubby....

:confused:

6. The only difference I see between the two is BCG doesn't have a son that is a terrible player that he can bring in to run the point as Tubby did.

 

Saul can play circles around Porter....which isn't saying much..:lol:

I don't think he's looking to leave. Only pointing out the "he'll get it done in time" theory has no foundation. Problem is right now he's not accomplishing what we know he is good at...

To each his own. I'm an optimist (but I also don't live and break UK basketball) so the way I look at it is that he is accomplished in turning programs around. He is not a miracle worker, even if what he accomplished at the other schools in short times was near miraculous (exaggeration of course). I'll give him at least 4 years, if not more, before making extensive judgments.

Tubby and Gillispie are totally different imo. Tubby spend most of his time COACHING, Billy spends most of his time recruiting players and letting them play it out. I have said this all year to my friend, if Tubby and Gillispie were one person, they would be the best coach in the NCAA with Tubbys COACHING skills, and Gillispie's RECRUITING skills.

Tubby and Gillispie are totally different imo. Tubby spends most of his time COACHING, Billy spends most of his time drinking. I have said this all year to my friend, if Tubby and Gillispie were one person, they would be the best coach in the NCAA with Tubbys COACHING skills, and Gillispie's RECRUITING skills.

 

I fixed that for you...:clap:

All of this Tubby love is sickening. He is 10 loss Tubby for a reason, what he's doing at Minnesota is no different then what he did at UK. That is his peak. Minnesota's players are the types of players he was bringing to UK, with the exception of 1 class. Meeks is a diamond in the rough, as was Tayshaun Prince. He can be 22-12 at Minny and have the court renamed after him after 10 years as far as I'm concerned.

 

For Billy G I say give him a break. When he was at A&M, he found a nice player in Acie Law IV, who is something the Cats have lacked the last couple of years, A POINT GUARD!!! BCG, is trying to bring in the kind of talent that can have UK in the Final Four and beyond, the way UK fans want it. No coach in America would have a shot to win the title with this team. Patterson is a nice post player, but he's not exactly Blake Griffin or Hansborough. Meeks, is a good scorer, but players like Curry or Teague are much better. And after that who else is good enough to get quality PT at a title contender? Miller may be there his JR. or SR. year, Liggins makes alot of poor decisions, Stevenson plays hard but he's just not talented enough. Harris, Porter, etc. just aren't at the level needed to contribute at an Elite Level Program. Other than Meeks or Patterson, I don't think anyone else on the roster would be a STAR at Morehead. As for Meeks at PG, whats it matter, they might as well have Harrelson bring it up as it would make no difference.

 

BCG, will get it turned around if he has time, he will bring in the type of talent that can win the TITLE. Tubby, we have us winning 22 games per year, and getting bounced in the 1st weekend of the tournament for the rest of eternity.

BCG, will get it turned around if he has time, he will bring in the type of talent that can win the TITLE. Tubby, we have us winning 22 games per year, and getting bounced in the 1st weekend of the tournament for the rest of eternity.

 

And you believe he'll get it turned around why?

I still think BCG is a really good X and O guy. I think his stubborness on defense overshadows a lot. If you know the game you notice plays and situations in which BCG does a really good job. He is by far a superior OB, SLOB situation coach.

If you notice OTS is not playing much the same way now as he did at UK the last few years.

I dont remember UK playing much zone under OTS at UK.

I think the players are in far far better condition now than the last few years.

Look at the shape Patrick Sparks was in when he left UK.

I also feel that OTS came into a situation at Minnesota where the players were starving to be coached and were obedient from day 1.

BCG has had to come in a change a culture and had to shape his two leaders last year in Bradley and Crawford.

I think both are very good coaches...both situation were/are unique.

 

couldn't agree more. I still think BCG will get this program turned around, but it will take him a while, and I think he'll get it. I agree with a lot of his principles.

I don't hate Tubby but I don't understand the people who just absolutely love him. To me it's plane and simple. The UK program went down hill during his tenure. He inherited a national championship caliber program. That is not what he left.

 

And no matter how much people want to claim he was chased out. He was unwilling to make the changes in his staff that were requested of him. In any other corporation he would have been fired. Instead UK stuck with him and the results were no different. He chose to leave. He left on his own terms. He doesn't love any of you nearly as much as you love him.

And you believe he'll get it turned around why?

 

Because, if for no other reason he is bringing in some talent. Even if he's not a great coach, talent is a nice equalizer of that. LOOK AT ROY WILLIAMS AT UNC. If he were a better coach he would already have about 4 or 5 titles by now between stops at Kansas and UNC. But, talent is enough to get him close to winning, i.e. the final four, and talent was good enough to win him a championship.

Tubby's great X and O's are doing well in the game tonight.....wonder what adjustments he will make..............

I think the Gillispie as a recruiter is not as good as some make him out to be...and I think Gillispie as a coach is not as bad as some make him out to be.

 

He's somewhere in between. Criticism of his in-game coaching may be warranted...I can't say with any certainty. However, in his short stint, I like what I've seen with player development and player conditioning. Those are aspects of coaching as well, IMO.

 

Every coach has a system...and when they get the right guys for that system, they usually look a lot smarter than when they don't have them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.