Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best high school coaching jobs?

Featured Replies

Augusta. Win 12-14 games, beat Bracken, and make the occasional trip to regionals. Have they built a statue of Coach Kelsch yet?:D

 

I would pick Augusta but I would pick it for more than just the beating Bracken thing. I think it is the atmosphere and getting the chance to coach in the old gym, the feel of the floor under your feet and the smell of popcorn takes you back to another time. I enjoy getting the chance to go and watch a Hoosier style game.

 

 

Kelsch's statue is a secret, no one is supposed to know:sssh::D

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Montgomery County:

 

-Pretty good talent

-Top of the line facilities, probably the best in the state

-25 Minutes from Lexington

-Pretty good tradition and fan support

I agree with Oldrambler's thinking on the best jobs, and I completely disagree that Biggs is in any trouble, or that he is anywhere near getting 'run off'.

 

Ah i think prestige is what you make of it. I would rather be a Bobby Bowden type and build my own prestige at a school then go to somewhere that is already established. If you coach Ashland basketball, what more is there to gain? People on this board have complained about Coach Biggs and that is unwarranted. I believe his resume speaks to the point that he is a pretty good coach. Sometimes places that have alot of tradition have unrealistic expectations. Ashland is still has the most prestige in the region, but they don't have a better talent base than many of the surrounding schools and certainly not as good of a base as say a Mason County or Scott County. I think Ashland is a place where you go and you will have to expect eventually you will wear out your welcome.

Sure if banners from the 20's are what you're looking for then sure, it's as good of a job as there is in the country, but if you're looking for a place where you can either have job stability or a chance to be a CONSISTENT state power, you are in the wrong place. Other than the dusty banners hangin what else is there to Ashland Blazer? Certainly there are programs with a better talent base, facilities, alumni and community support, etc. Blazer isn't what it used to be, and really no one is to blame.

How about Montgomery County:

 

-Pretty good talent

-Top of the line facilities, probably the best in the state

-25 Minutes from Lexington

-Pretty good tradition and fan support

 

I think it has the makings of a great job. I agree completely.

I have been shocked at the drop in support and the whining this year by their fans. Fair weather fans and whiners are big negatives in judging a coaching job. The fact that fans have whined and second guessed a coach with Listerman's track record tells me I would think twice before wanting that job.

 

I agree the support is a bit down this year at Cov Cath as compared with years past. But, it still is pretty strong. Grade the current support level as a "B" as opposed to the "A+" seen when the team is at the top of the region and ranked in the state. Regarding Coach L, I have heard much less second guessing this year than in 06-07 and 07-08. Cov Cath has great kids on the team but except for Luke Maile, no one is going to confuse the talent level on the current squad with Brennan Votel, Todd Jacobs, Kurt Bovard, Michael Grimes, Chris Bondick, etc. Notwithstanding the "assistance" Colonel Nation is willing to give their coach, I still think it is a pretty good gig.

  • Author
Sorry Oldrambler, but I have to disagree with Ashland being the best job. Sure it has a lot of tradtion, more that just about anywhere. But, the talent pool is every shrinking and I really don't think the support for the coach is there. Coach Biggs is probably going to be run off, and their were little rumblings the last few years that Coach Flynn was there. Coach Flynn was the best coach that was in the 16th region in his era, bar none. I think Ashland is no more than taking the job at Notre Dame in football. Sure it has alot of prestige, but it ain't the job it used to be. I think right now taking the job at Ashland, Greenup, or Boyd is just starting the countdown until you are fired or run off. They should be the top 3, if only just on prestige and size, but for a coach, they could find better.

 

For the 16th I would say it is probably more of the small schools, like Fairview or Raceland. They seem to have a little more loyalty and thankfulness. And really as Elliott has proved, I think small schools in the 16th can be just as successful as the big boys.

 

I would say that expectations at Ashland are high in every year, that is what tradition does for you and if a coach I personally would want that. That same thing is true at a Raceland, Russell or Ashland in football every year, winning is expected.

I definately understand and agree with all that you said about the small schools as well, as I said and as an alum I would put the Raceland job at the top of my list of few.:thumb:

Why Ashland and I agree ,Trinity does have some talent with a super group of frosh.

 

 

Why Ashland?

 

 

Love the city, and tradition, tradition, tradition.

 

At one time they averaged going to the Sweet 16 once every 4 years.

 

There is a ton of talent in the area also.

 

Just needs the right coach for the long haul.

I know that you took offense to this post DSC, but you have no idea how true it is. And I don't mean that as a slam at all. Ashland for instance when Ashland Oil Inc. was still in town and when Armco was booming, the jobs were there and the industry was supplying parents with jobs and those parents were supplying schools with kids, plain and simple. I hope for Scott Co.'s sake that the Toyota plant remains a wonderful industry in the community for decades, but in the event they relocate, you'll see first hand how much your school does prosper from them in your backyard.

 

And for that reason alone, I wouldn't want the job at Ashland.

 

I agree, that industry also made Russell, and spun off to other area schools with a player or two

Yeah, beause all the players parents work there. I'm sorry man but you have no idea about what your talking about.

 

That is exactly what I am talking about. When a business employees so many people from around the state, you are going to get the kids to go to school there. Thanks for proving my point.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Shelby Co. They are close to Louisville and always seem to have talent. And they play in a region that isn't very strong. I believe that would be a very good coaching job.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Shelby Co. They are close to Louisville and always seem to have talent. And they play in a region that isn't very strong. I believe that would be a very good coaching job.

 

see post 19 :D:thumb:

  • Author
I agree, that industry also made Russell, and spun off to other area schools with a player or two

 

:thumb:

 

(and welcome to BGP Deano)

Mason County or Scott County.

I was once told by a 9th region coach who many consider to be the best ever that the only job he would have left Highlands for was the Holmes job. He said you would never be a loss for talent.

 

Can't imagine who you are talking about. :confused: :idunno:

Scott County. Growing county, great facilities and a winning tradition.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.