Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best high school coaching jobs?

Featured Replies

I was just wondering about this and thought that I would check out everyones opinion on what is the best coaching job to have in the state and especially in you region or area. This doesn't necessarily have to be the best teams/talent but what job if you were a coach and could pick would you want?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Where ever you have the support of both the Administration and the community. No matter where this it is a good coaching job.

  • Author

My region is the 16th and I would say that Ashland would imo be my pick for a head coaching job. Ashland has a great tradition and usually has good talent year in and year out. Ashland also has a great fan base that are dedicated to their Tomcats win or lose. Another 16th region pick/picks imo would be Boyd Co., Greenup Co. and bc I am an alum and love the school and community... Raceland would be a pick for me as well. As for a basketball coaching job I would have to pick Ashland in the 16th followed by GCHS.

As for our general area I would say that Mason County would be a great choice, a great basketbll tradition, always have athletes and a good fan base. All imo are top notch.

  • Author
IMO Where ever you have the support of both the Administration and the community. No matter where this it is a good coaching job.

 

:thumb: Absolutely! Great post.

In the 16th region.

Overall I would say Ashland. Lots of tradition there, but with that tradition comes expectations that as of late are unrealistic.

If you go back to the 80's and 90's I would say Greenup and Boyd. Both big schools with good feeder programs. As of late both schools have fallen upon hard times.

Rowan County had a good run in the mid 80's.

Scott County, you always have Toyota in the back yard.

Elliott Co. in the 16th. At least the past few years. All you have to do is set back and let the players coach themselves. The players have made the current coach look good.

In the 9th I would say CovCath, they are down right now but always have good talent. Holmes is what most are going to say, but Henley puts up with a lot of problems down there. That is just one of the reasons he is such a good coach.

My region is the 16th and I would say that Ashland would imo be my pick for a head coaching job. Ashland has a great tradition and usually has good talent year in and year out. Ashland also has a great fan base that are dedicated to their Tomcats win or lose. Another 16th region pick/picks imo would be Boyd Co., Greenup Co. and bc I am an alum and love the school and community... Raceland would be a pick for me as well. As for a basketball coaching job I would have to pick Ashland in the 16th followed by GCHS.

As for our general area I would say that Mason County would be a great choice, a great basketbll tradition, always have athletes and a good fan base. All imo are top notch.

 

Sorry Oldrambler, but I have to disagree with Ashland being the best job. Sure it has a lot of tradtion, more that just about anywhere. But, the talent pool is every shrinking and I really don't think the support for the coach is there. Coach Biggs is probably going to be run off, and their were little rumblings the last few years that Coach Flynn was there. Coach Flynn was the best coach that was in the 16th region in his era, bar none. I think Ashland is no more than taking the job at Notre Dame in football. Sure it has alot of prestige, but it ain't the job it used to be. I think right now taking the job at Ashland, Greenup, or Boyd is just starting the countdown until you are fired or run off. They should be the top 3, if only just on prestige and size, but for a coach, they could find better.

 

For the 16th I would say it is probably more of the small schools, like Fairview or Raceland. They seem to have a little more loyalty and thankfulness. And really as Elliott has proved, I think small schools in the 16th can be just as successful as the big boys.

For the 16th I would say it is probably more of the small schools, like Fairview or Raceland. They seem to have a little more loyalty and thankfulness. And really as Elliott has proved, I think small schools in the 16th can be just as successful as the big boys.

I have to agree with you, the 1A schools seem to have the same coaches for quite a while. If we are talking about the best job for a coach, as far as stability, administrative support, and fan support, then Raceland, Fairview, and Elliott County would have to win out for the best positions. Rex Cooksey can probably coach at Fairview as long as he wants, he has proven it by leaving and coming back virtually any time he wants. Shawn Johnson was at Raceland for quite sometime, and Scott Floyd will probably be there as long as he wants. Elliott County has only had one coach in like 50 years, a slight exaggeration, but not by much.

 

So, just going on job stability and being pretty competitive every year, I would have to say the 1A schools have the best jobs in the 16th.

Paducah Tilghman in the first region - quality athletes always and overall talent in region is not that solid year in and year out

 

Owensboro in the third- similiar to Paducah in the first. District is tough, but always a chance

 

Warren Central in the 4th - similiar to the ones listed below/if it continued after Riley left,as far as getting quality players

 

South Laurel job - always a chance to get there based on talent level

Madison Central. You will always have talent to compete in the 11th region.

Mason County.

 

Mason Co, the material is always good but those fans are very hard to please.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.