Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Football season too long!

Featured Replies

Is there a reason why KY HS football goes until the Middle of December? Why the bye week? OH has been finished for 2 weeks.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason why KY HS football goes until the Middle of December? Why the bye week? OH has been finished for 2 weeks.

 

They started one week before we did.

I would say the rationale for starting later is to avoid the heat (safety). I do not have a proposed rationale for the bye week.

Indiana's season was over last Saturday. Every team participated in the playoffs and the finals were held indoors.

Indiana's season was over last Saturday. Every team participated in the playoffs and the finals were held indoors.

 

Every team? How many league games and then how long for the playoffs?

If it is too cold, go home, its football season.

Of course the football season is too long. That is why they should take the top 2 teams instead of 4. I know that Simon Kenton is a number 4 seed and is in the state championship game (and I hope they win). But short of cutting out the bye week (which I am in favor of) and starting a week earlier, that is the only solution that makes sense to me. The teams that are in the state championship games are almost playing a pro football like number of games. Plus the players that play basketball are getting such a late start.

Of course the football season is too long. That is why they should take the top 2 teams instead of 4. I know that Simon Kenton is a number 4 seed and is in the state championship game (and I hope they win). But short of cutting out the bye week (which I am in favor of) and starting a week earlier, that is the only solution that makes sense to me. The teams that are in the state championship games are almost playing a pro football like number of games. Plus the players that play basketball are getting such a late start.

 

I agree and I love your avatar by the way. :jump:

This is the last year of the "bye" week.

 

Next year the season will be one week shorter.

This is the last year of the "bye" week.

 

Next year the season will be one week shorter.

Is that for sure?

Not only is this season too long its less enjoyable due to the 6 classes. How nice would it be to see NCC and Beechwood battling it out to see who goes to the semis or to the finals? How nice would it be to have Highlands and Johnson Central battling Boyle and LexCath?

 

You can pencil Beechwood into the final game each and every year. That's not very exciting.

I'm fairly certain that the KHSAA passed that.

 

I'll check and see if I can find out for sure.

Yes they passed that.

I'm fairly certain that the KHSAA passed that.

 

I'll check and see if I can find out for sure.

You now have the option of only having one scrimmage and scheduling a game for the second scrimmage week and having a buy week in the season, this is called week 0. Or, you can schedule your first game in week 1 and not have a buy week. That is my understanding.

We have plenty of these type threads. The facts are, football season is not to long. I personally have given up on the playoff format, and will just watch what ever format they use. But, the only argument for shorting the season is for basketball. And, I personally don't care for the thought process that football is affected because of basketball season.

 

Basketball teams play games virtually all year long, winter season, AAU season, and summer open gyms. Football is restricted on when they can start practice, how long they can play, when they can play, and when they can practice. Basketball has 25 games in the winter season, and 30 in AAU, and 100 in summer open gyms. Football only has a 10 game season and 5 game playoffs. I really can't see an argument to limit the football season.

 

Now, for the people who say this is a basketball state. I hear that all the time, and it may be true in some areas, but in my area, we have 500-1000 people at virtually every football game, and 100-200 at any basketball game. I am pretty sure that is the case for most of EKY, NEKY, NKY, and the Louisville area.

 

15 games, for some, and 10-12 for most, is not to much as far as I am concerned.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.