2009 Ryle

ukfan14

How do the Ryle Raiders look this upcoming year?

I believe this year could go either way. I know that statement sounds funny but here are some points...They are coming off a difficult year last year, but they do have some talent returning and coming up. They will field the ball very well, hitting should be solid but probably without the long ball, speed will be excellent, pitching is a real question mark- although they have one of the top starters in NKY in Etscheid and have some other seniors that are more than capable but will have to be more consistent. They do have some younger pitchers who could also make an impact. What will be interesting is this will be the meshing of back to back JV Regional Championship teams in 2007 & 2008. Thus my point that there is some talent.

I believe this year could go either way. I know that statement sounds funny but here are some points...They are coming off a difficult year last year, but they do have some talent returning and coming up. They will field the ball very well, hitting should be solid but probably without the long ball, speed will be excellent, pitching is a real question mark- although they have one of the top starters in NKY in Etscheid and have some other seniors that are more than capable but will have to be more consistent. They do have some younger pitchers who could also make an impact. What will be interesting is this will be the meshing of back to back JV Regional Championship teams in 2007 & 2008. Thus my point that there is some talent.

Indeed pitching is the big unknown for Ryle next year. Etch is obviously the clearcut ace. After that, there is only one returning pitcher who threw more than 10 innings last year. They had some solid pitching on the JV team, but sometimes it's hard to tell how that will translate at the varsity level. They certainly won't have a lot of hard throwers. I do agree the defense will be their strength. They also have 4 of their top 5 hitters from last season returning, so there should be some improvement in that area from last season, but will lack power in the middle. It does not appear their schedule is quite as brutal as last season, so that may help some also. No doubt Conner is the team to beat in this district.

Ryle has not had a recent history of going young at the Varsity, but they have some young men in the pipeline that could/would start varsity at most HS's in NKY. I do see Hempel and Freidel starting this season. I think that they will stick with the upperclassmen, but you will see a lot of younger players get playing time this year.

Ryle has not had a recent history of going young at the Varsity, but they have some young men in the pipeline that could/would start varsity at most HS's in NKY. I do see Hempel and Freidel starting this season. I think that they will stick with the upperclassmen, but you will see a lot of younger players get playing time this year.

Will agree with your statement above...just thought you might have a feel for who you would think will make an impact.

Who do you think will play in the infield this season, will these two play up the middle or will Logan Carney play 2nd, where he does a great job. I am sure Etscheid will play 3rd, with O'Hara there when he pitches.

Who do you think will play in the infield this season, will these two play up the middle or will Logan Carney play 2nd, where he does a great job. I am sure Etscheid will play 3rd, with O'Hara there when he pitches.

I think Carney should get an opportunity to play 2nd... whether he does may be a different story. Although I believe if its infield or outfield for him, he will have an impact season for the Raiders.

I think Carney should get an opportunity to play 2nd... whether he does may be a different story. Although I believe if its infield or outfield for him, he will have an impact season for the Raiders.

I think that will be the case. I noticed at the end of last season, Etscheid played a lot of first base, which as good of a 3rd baseman as he is really surprised me, does it look like he might be there this season?

I think that will be the case. I noticed at the end of last season, Etscheid played a lot of first base, which as good of a 3rd baseman as he is really surprised me, does it look like he might be there this season?

I believe it will all depend on how things shake out at tryouts. Lots of capable talent that can play infield at Ryle so it will depend on who hits. Make sense though to put him at first, even though he is a solid 3rd baseman, to save the wear and tear on his arm.

IMO

1B Hempel

2B Carney

SS Freidel

3B Etscheid

Hempel, Etschid and O'Hara all should alternate at the corners. Hempel will be a very solid pitcher. You have Clarkson, Frosh, who probably has the best glove of all of these players waiting the in the wings. Should be fun.