Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

During the UK coaching search, who did you want?

Featured Replies

"Write this down" on BGP has become like guranteeing victories in sports.

The pretenders use "mark it down". I have "write this down" trademarked... :p

  • Replies 55
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted Billy Donovan or John Calipari.

I remember a lot of prominent people on here say Thad Matta would be our next coach at UK. Think God that didn't happen.

Billy D was my first pick. Reasons? Obvious. Coming off consecutive titles, plays an exciting style, stocks blue chip talent like my mom stocked canned food for Y2K, previous ties to UK, and he was young.

 

After that, I had Gillispie slightly ahead of Tom Crean...this was after reading up and some consideration on the subject. My reasons for Gillispie? His track record of success at non-basketball schools and the quick turnarounds he orchestrated. I also liked the fact that he's relatively young, which means there's a decent chance we could have him for a while.

 

As for Crean, I've always been impressed with him and his consistency at a school like Marquette. He recruits well and almost always has a very competitive team in the toughest basketball conference in the nation. He almost always has strong guard play. And, when he did have top flight talent (D-Wade) he went to a final four. (Note: Considering their situation, I think Indiana pulled a rabbit out of their hat when they got Crean. They may have to be patient for a couple years, but this guy will get them where they want to be, and belong, IMO.)

 

Also, on my list were guys that I absolutely did not want. I did not want Thad Matta or Rick Barnes. Matta didn't sound too bad initially, but after I thought about it a little, I did not want him. Barnes is a guy I was high on when he was at Clemson, but not so much now. He's done a tremendous job at Texas and may have been a good hire, but for whatever reason, I just didn't want him at UK.

 

Other guys I didn't want, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic the chances of actually getting them were...

 

Tom Izzo - his style is too much like Tubby's. As much as I like Izzo and think he's a great coach, I didn't want to follow Tubby with him.

 

Travis Ford - I'm not convinced yet and wasn't ready to make that leap.

 

Rick Pitino - Nobody can live up to their own legend. Its best to leave that chapter closed.

 

Jay Wright - Not convinced he'd be a good fit at UK.

 

 

Intriguing candidates (no matter how realistic or unrealistic)...

 

John Thompson III - The Princeton offense in Rupp Arena was an intriguing idea to me. I wasn't completely sold he'd have been the right fit, but I lean toward saying he would be. His teams are tough and I like the offense they run.

 

John Pelphrey - The questions about his experience were legitimate. But, I liked the idea of having a "Kentucky Boy" who is that young patrolling the sidelines for the next 30 years or so. Plus, I just had a hunch that he'd be able to handle the pressure and do the job people demand from a UK coach.

 

Bruce Pearl - To be honest, I didn't really want him because there's just something about him that gets to me sometimes. But, he plays an entertaining style, recruits well and has been successful. I could have got excited about Pearl at UK and I could have learned to like him.

 

Kelvin Sampson - :lol: That's a joke, BTW.

Billy D was my first pick. Reasons? Obvious. Coming off consecutive titles, plays an exciting style, stocks blue chip talent like my mom stocked canned food for Y2K, previous ties to UK, and he was young.

 

After that, I had Gillispie slightly ahead of Tom Crean...this was after reading up and some consideration on the subject. My reasons for Gillispie? His track record of success at non-basketball schools and the quick turnarounds he orchestrated. I also liked the fact that he's relatively young, which means there's a decent chance we could have him for a while.

 

As for Crean, I've always been impressed with him and his consistency at a school like Marquette. He recruits well and almost always has a very competitive team in the toughest basketball conference in the nation. He almost always has strong guard play. And, when he did have top flight talent (D-Wade) he went to a final four. (Note: Considering their situation, I think Indiana pulled a rabbit out of their hat when they got Crean. They may have to be patient for a couple years, but this guy will get them where they want to be, and belong, IMO.)

 

Also, on my list were guys that I absolutely did not want. I did not want Thad Matta or Rick Barnes. Matta didn't sound too bad initially, but after I thought about it a little, I did not want him. Barnes is a guy I was high on when he was at Clemson, but not so much now. He's done a tremendous job at Texas and may have been a good hire, but for whatever reason, I just didn't want him at UK.

 

Other guys I didn't want, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic the chances of actually getting them were...

 

Tom Izzo - his style is too much like Tubby's. As much as I like Izzo and think he's a great coach, I didn't want to follow Tubby with him.

 

Travis Ford - I'm not convinced yet and wasn't ready to make that leap.

 

Rick Pitino - Nobody can live up to their own legend. Its best to leave that chapter closed.

 

Jay Wright - Not convinced he'd be a good fit at UK.

 

 

Intriguing candidates (no matter how realistic or unrealistic)...

 

John Thompson III - The Princeton offense in Rupp Arena was an intriguing idea to me. I wasn't completely sold he'd have been the right fit, but I lean toward saying he would be. His teams are tough and I like the offense they run.

 

John Pelphrey - The questions about his experience were legitimate. But, I liked the idea of having a "Kentucky Boy" who is that young patrolling the sidelines for the next 30 years or so. Plus, I just had a hunch that he'd be able to handle the pressure and do the job people demand from a UK coach.

 

Bruce Pearl - To be honest, I didn't really want him because there's just something about him that gets to me sometimes. But, he plays an entertaining style, recruits well and has been successful. I could have got excited about Pearl at UK and I could have learned to like him.

 

[B]Kelvin Sampson - :lol: That's a joke, BTW.

[/b]

 

 

Here here. I can't believe there are knowledgeable basketball minds on here that actually thought Kelvin Sampson was going to take Indiana somewhere other than the toilet bowl.

My #1 choice was Travis Ford. I think he has proven himself on different levels to be a successful coach, and he was a hometown boy. Billy G has done a fine job thus far though.

Hmmm come on people. Alot of you all are saying you had Billy G as the main guy you wanted or atleast the second choice. However I remember back in those threads, hardly anyone was saying that was the guy they wanted. I usually never heard many people say they were their second choice either.

 

The main names it seemed like people were saying were Billy D. Rick Pitino, Travis Ford (I mentioned him as well), Pelphrey, Thad Matta and people like that. There are a few I left out. There definitely wasn't as many people on here wanting Billy G. as people are saying on here right now. It wasn't until the very end of the search when people decided they might want Billy G. :fire::D

Hmmm come on people. Alot of you all are saying you had Billy G as the main guy you wanted or atleast the second choice. However I remember back in those threads, hardly anyone was saying that was the guy they wanted. I usually never heard many people say they were their second choice either.

 

The main names it seemed like people were saying were Billy D. Rick Pitino, Travis Ford (I mentioned him as well), Pelphrey, Thad Matta and people like that. There are a few I left out. There definitely wasn't as many people on here wanting Billy G. as people are saying on here right now. It wasn't until the very end of the search when people decided they might want Billy G. :fire::D

Where did you hear Billy G first??? :D

Where did you hear Billy G first??? :D

 

Read post #18, I already gave you the credit for it.:D

 

You were the one who told me a lot about Billy G and made me want him here. :thumb:

Rick Pitino

 

 

 

:thumb:

Hmmm come on people. Alot of you all are saying you had Billy G as the main guy you wanted or atleast the second choice. However I remember back in those threads, hardly anyone was saying that was the guy they wanted. I usually never heard many people say they were their second choice either.

 

I believe this thread is from the day Tubby resigned.

 

Note post #4

 

Maybe post #234 here (and don't forget to look at the poll results)

 

Just sayin... :D

I believe this thread is from the day Tubby resigned.

 

Note post #4

 

Maybe post #234 here (and don't forget to look at the poll results)

 

Just sayin... :D

 

This is my post from the poll thread.

 

As long as his name's Billy and he's in the poll I'm happy.

 

I'm marking Donovan out because I just don't think he'll do it.. Gillespie could be up for the challenge... He's my guy.

 

I did spell his name wrong, however.

For me it was more who I didn't want..

Izzo....style NO

Calipari......slime ball NO

Barnes..... (See Calipari)

Crean.....Just didn't like him.

Pearl...never even considered him

Ford....Hasn't done enough yet, may be ready someday but not yet.

Pelphrey....Closer than Ford but not ready yet

d'Antoni.....was a very interesting thought, just don't know how long he would have stayed

 

Billy D....Would have been OK with him but didn't think he was a great fit.

 

I began to gravitate to Billy G after reading about him on here and researching him some. I was sold when I saw a video of him at an A&M practice at Rupp, he was standing near mid court watching the shoot around twirling a ball on his finger. Something about that ball twirling on his finger convinced me that this guys was as nuts about basketball as the rest of us. I told my wife right then that was the guy I wanted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.