• Newport
    • Owensboro
    • Corbin
    • Paducah
    • Mayfield
    • Ashland
    • Maysville
    • Pikeville

So before I vote, what city on that list would Highlands fall under? Not necessarily going to vote that way but just curious as to whether they were not up for consideration, but if you put them in one of the other cities it might switch my vote based on what other schools are in that city. Really though, it is going to be hard to vote against Louisville.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the bolded part, really? Ft. Thomas is a town, actually a pretty small town (less than 18,000) when compared to Owensboro's 55,000. Highlands has 17 state championships in football, at least 2 in girls soccer, 6 in girls cross country and 1 in girls track. And there may be more titles in swimming, track and cross country, but I'm not sure. But even if there are not any more, I'd say those 26 compare favorably against O'boro's 12.:D

The part you quoted was a discussion about the 3 major sports, football, baseball, and basketball. Catholic had 4 or 5 in fast pitch softball and I know Daviess County has a few, 10 in boys cross country, as well. Owensboro has a few in track as well. I'd say the number is probably close to 30 or 40 for the city itself. In all sports, Owensboro Sr. is right around the same number as Highlands 26 trophies.

And no, Highlands is no where near the total number of titles that Louisville (or Trinity or X specifically) if you count all sports. St X. has 43 swimming titles, 17 tennis titles, and 16 golf titles alone, Trinity has 4, 5, and 6 in those sports respectively.

Comparing apples to apples, I think the City of Northern Kentucky :D can compare quite favorably to Jefferson County and any other area of the state. With Highlands', Beechwood's, CovCath's, Ludlow's and Bellevue's championships in football; CovCath's, Holmes' and Highland's (not so recent) appearances in the Sweet 16 and Simon Kenton's state championship in basketball; CovCath's state championship in baseball; Highlands' two championships in girls socccer; Highlands' championship this past year in girls track, just to mention a few accomplishments, the "City" has done quite well. :thumb:

Ding Ding Ding.... Would like to see how many titles have made their way up to NKY. Don't forget the Dayton football state title.

Runner-ups are all well and good, but the point I'm driving at is we're talking titles. Not appearances, not good showings, titles. And KHSAA sanctioned ones, not All A titles.

The city of Owensboro has done well for themselves, but I just don't think they're in this discussion. I don't think anyone is really other than Louisville and Lexington. Even Fort Thomas and Danville are pretty one-dimensional, with very little success title-wise outside of football.

Thats what I was thinking... Maybe it isn't fair because of population and number of schools but Louisville is 1 and Lexington is 2 and that is where the real debate begins...

So before I vote, what city on that list would Highlands fall under? Not necessarily going to vote that way but just curious as to whether they were not up for consideration, but if you put them in one of the other cities it might switch my vote based on what other schools are in that city. Really though, it is going to be hard to vote against Louisville.

None of them, Highlands is in Fort Thomas. I agree that it has to be Louisville as they have so many schools that have won so many titles.

• 6 years later...
But those aren't titles, and by and large that's the bulk of Owensboro's success, those numerous trips to the Sweet 16. How many titles in the three main sports does the city have? I know the Red Devils have three in football (I'm not going to count a mythical title in 1917).

4 basketball. 4 football. 6 baseball. 27 team state championships in all at Owensboro Sr. alone...not sure about the other 3 schools there Owensboro gets my vote.

Edited by Fourtimes

Look, I know that this is not a very cheerleader friendly enviroment, but how could Greenup not be on this list. GC has 12 National Championships can any other school in the state even come close to that.

That's great and all until you consider that seemingly every other gym I walk into in Kentucky has some form of "National Champion" cheerleader banner on the walls. Kind of begs the question as to how many national championships are awarded each year, and which ones should actually "count."