• Mayfield
    • Ashland
    • Maysville
    • Pikeville

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well being that you said people would be surprised how many the Devils won, that was more or less what I was responding to, and I was assuming that's whose Sweet 16 appearances STRIKE3 was referring to. Near as I can tell, in the three major sports, the only title Catholic brings to the table is one baseball title in '85. Daviess County has a baseball title as well, in 1971.

I think the most pertinent detail is that in those sports, the city and county have not had a title since 1987. Now, if we're adding softball, we have the Owensboro Catholic softball juggernaut to add in, with 4 titles.

Catholic was runner-up in AA Football, in both '05, '04 and '97. Owensboro was runner-up in AAA, in '00 and '99.

You are correct, Owensboro won Baseball titles in '64, '69, '76, '77, '83 and '87. Jack Hicks at Owensboro, is a legendary figure in Baseball.

Owensboro Catholic, won the All "A" in '05, runner-up in '06, won in '07 and '08.

Catholic was runner-up in AA Football, in both '05, '04 and '97. Owensboro was runner-up in AAA, in '00 and '99.

You are correct, Owensboro won Baseball titles in '64, '69, '76, '77, '83 and '87. Jack Hicks at Owensboro, is a legendary figure in Baseball.

Owensboro Catholic, won the All "A" in '05, runner-up in '06, won in '07 and '08.

Runner-ups are all well and good, but the point I'm driving at is we're talking titles. Not appearances, not good showings, titles. And KHSAA sanctioned ones, not All A titles.

The city of Owensboro has done well for themselves, but I just don't think they're in this discussion. I don't think anyone is really other than Louisville and Lexington. Even Fort Thomas and Danville are pretty one-dimensional, with very little success title-wise outside of football.

Runner-ups are all well and good, but the point I'm driving at is we're talking titles. Not appearances, not good showings, titles. And KHSAA sanctioned ones, not All A titles.

The city of Owensboro has done well for themselves, but I just don't think they're in this discussion. I don't think anyone is really other than Louisville and Lexington. Even Fort Thomas and Danville are pretty one-dimensional, with very little success title-wise outside of football.

I agree on Louisville, which is why I listed them first. I'm merely offering information, on the Owensboro area and why they would be more deserving, of consideration over others mentioned.

I'll disagree with you on the All "A", as those are KHSAA teams competing, under the auspice of the All "A". Also for the record, you can't win a title, unless you are in the championship game....:sssh:

We won the girls state track championship this year; came in second in the boys state track championship and won the girls soccer championships in 05 and 06. And we have twice won three consecutive girls' cross country championships in 1978-1980 and 2002-2004. Thus I'd disagree that we are one dimensional in our championships.

We won the girls state track championship this year; came in second in the boys state track championship and won the girls soccer championships in 05 and 06. And we have twice won three consecutive girls' cross country championships in 1978-1980 and 2002-2004. Thus I'd disagree that we are one dimensional in our championships.

Jeez, I can't catch a break with these posts. All of my previous ones I've been clarifying that I was talking about male sports, and more specifically, football, basketball, and baseball.

Outside of football, what male sport does Highlands have titles in?

If we are talking strictly "towns" or "cities" I don't think ANYONE, aside from Louisville, is in the discussion. Owensboro, or any other "town", simply doesn't have the number of schools to compete with heavily populated areas like Lou. and Lex.

Take the best school from Lexington and compare it to the 'Boro's 12 titles. How do they stack up then (I really have no idea)?

I think the point that Strike3 and I were making is that Owensboro is often overlooked in conversations about state titles in that tier below Trinity and X.

If we are talking strictly "towns" or "cities" I don't think ANYONE, aside from Louisville, is in the discussion. Owensboro, or any other "town", simply doesn't have the number of schools to compete with heavily populated areas like Lou. and Lex.

Take the best school from Lexington and compare it to the 'Boro's 12 titles. How do they stack up then (I really have no idea)?

I think the point that Strike3 and I were making is that Owensboro is often overlooked in conversations about state titles in that tier below Trinity and X.

I can agree with that. And I think the reason for that is the amount of time that has passed since some of those titles.

I believe the year was 2001 that the town of Danville with 3 high schools in the city limits all won football titles that year. Boyle 2A, Danville 1A, and KSD won the National Deaf title. 3 for 3 is what started all the Titletown thing in Danville.

Jeez, I can't catch a break with these posts. All of my previous ones I've been clarifying that I was talking about male sports, and more specifically, football, basketball, and baseball.

Outside of football, what male sport does Highlands have titles in?

I believe we have some swimming, track and cross country boy titles but I need to confirm that.

As the bolded part, really? Ft. Thomas is a town, actually a pretty small town (less than 18,000) when compared to Owensboro's 55,000. Highlands has 17 state championships in football, at least 2 in girls soccer, 6 in girls cross country and 1 in girls track. And there may be more titles in swimming, track and cross country, but I'm not sure. But even if there are not any more, I'd say those 26 compare favorably against O'boro's 12.:D

As the bolded part, really? Ft. Thomas is a town, actually a pretty small town (less than 18,000) when compared to Owensboro's 55,000. Highlands has 17 state championships in football, at least 2 in girls soccer, 6 in girls cross country and 1 in girls track. And there may be more titles in swimming, track and cross country, but I'm not sure. But even if there are not any more, I'd say those 26 compare favorably against O'boro's 12.:D

Believe me when I say, I have never seen soooooo many trophies in one place than I have seen in Highlands. Rooms and rooms and halls, and that isn't even counting the ones that have been lost, stolen, or misplaced over the years. There are tri-state track trophies that go back to 1920.:eek: (and the 1920 Track trophy is a championship trophy)

Edited by Henry521

I too think that is impressive.

I'd have to do some digging but Danville High has a number of Girls Track Titles and Boys Track Titles to go along with 10 Football trophies. Boyle has their 5 football trophies but I'm not sure of any other team state titles.

Still I feel we are all in the second place seat behind Louisville unless someone wants to disqualify them as their own state. :lol: