Walt Jockety names 5 untouchable Red's players

Harang's location and command, has not been good. His FB is consistently belt high and both FB/CV, are in the middle of the plate.

His stride looks shorter and follow-thru, is more upright. Both are often indicative, of arm or should problems. He's going through a rough stretch and hopefully, can get whatever the problem is corrected.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harang's location and command, has not been good. His FB is consistently belt high and both FB/CV, are in the middle of the plate.

His stride looks shorter and follow-thru, is more upright. Both are often indicative, of arm or should problems. He's going through a rough stretch and hopefully, can get whatever the problem is corrected.

It was like Smoltz before he went to the DL...He switched from a full rotation to a 3/4 arm rotation to ease the pain from his shoulder.

If Harang is having problems then he needs to suck it up and have surgery if that's the case...

If you look at the innings he had pitched before that relief appearance you'll see that he pitched games going 7,8,6,8,7.1,6,7,7,7...Then the last start before the relief appearance was 5.1 and he gave up 5 runs on 10 hits.

I would suggest that he was already tired and wore down a little bit as a result of those innings. Yes pitchers go like that a lot but he has been a workhorse the last couple of years and I think that relief appearance just put it over the top. It wasn't the whole cake but it was the icing on the cake.

His pitch counts weren't abnormally high ... a couple of 114s and the rest under 105. It wasn't unlike he was terribly overworked, although he has thrown a lot of innings over the past two-plus seasons.

His pitch counts weren't abnormally high ... a couple of 114s and the rest under 105. It wasn't unlike he was terribly overworked, although he has thrown a lot of innings over the past two-plus seasons.

But heat, pitches per inning, weather conditions, etc.. can cause problems even though the pitch count might not be that high.

I believe that the Reds have overworked Harang. I don't believe that pitchers should be throwing 100+ pitches per start and pitching 210+ innings a season.

It's preparing for a major breakdown in that pitcher.

Anyone know if the Reds have had any doctor's take a look at Harangs arm/shoulder?
They have one of the best in the business, in Dr. Kremchek.

I'm sure they will evaluate him, if Harang indicates he has discomfort or problems.

They have one of the best in the business, in Dr. Kremchek.

I'm sure they will evaluate him, if Harang indicates he has discomfort or problems.

I wasn't sure if the Reds had taken any precautionary measures and evaluating him just in case.

But heat, pitches per inning, weather conditions, etc.. can cause problems even though the pitch count might not be that high.

I believe that the Reds have overworked Harang. I don't believe that pitchers should be throwing 100+ pitches per start and pitching 210+ innings a season.

It's preparing for a major breakdown in that pitcher.

There's no reason a durable starting pitcher can't work 210 innings every year. The problem is that Harang has been over 230 in each of the last two seasons.

The number of innings Harang has thrown the last two seasons was a good reason for the Reds to explore what the trade market might have been for him. That opportunity might be lost now.

• 3 weeks later...
It isn't that their bats go cold. They can only score one way right now. Hit it out of the park. Bruce's avg is dropping rapidly. When he gets below .300 they will have no regular hitting above .300. It's no coincidence that they played well when Hairston and Bruce hit well for 2 weeks. It's hard to string 3 or 4 hits in a row when the highest avg for your 3-7 hitters is .265.

Doesn't that mean their bats are cold?

Phillips should be considered as untouchable IMO. As for Encarnacion (E-5), I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of him. Too streaky and appears lazy often times.

I heard him refered to as a "poor man's Adam Dunn" on the radio this morning. Wonder what that means?