Walt Jockety names 5 untouchable Red's players

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying you give him away for nothing. But if it's the right deal you need to get his contract out of town. You can't have an ace thats 3-10. Simple as that.

It would have to be a pretty incredible offer to get Harang. His ERA isn't much wrose than last year, well it wasn't till his last 2 starts. I just check it again.

Harang could easily be over .500 had he gotten some run support. To look at his record and say he is no good is a horrible statement. If you don't know he is one of the best two pitchers the Reds have.

Could you please point out where I said Harang was no good?

It would have to be a pretty incredible offer to get Harang. His ERA isn't much wrose than last yerar.

I agree. It would have to be a good offer. I'm not saying he deserves a 3-10 record or is a bad pitcher. If the Reds want to keep these young guys together they need to get the bigger contracts off the team. If the right offer comes, I say you pull the trigger. Just my opinion.

While you didn't say he was no good you are making too much out of his record.

It's pretty obvious that the Reds are basically out of it this season. If the right offer comes along at the deadline, you pull the trigger. I never said he's a bad pitcher because he's not. However, he has been getting roughed up lately. It's not all because of the lack of run support. He's a very good pitcher, but you pull the trigger for the right offer.

I'm not saying you give him away for nothing. But if it's the right deal you need to get his contract out of town. You can't have an ace thats 3-10. Simple as that.

He is pitching for a BAD team. This is not his greatest season, no, but he is an elite pitcher year in and year out, gets a lot of K's, and goes 200+ innings every year.

I agree. It would have to be a good offer. I'm not saying he deserves a 3-10 record or is a bad pitcher. If the Reds want to keep these young guys together they need to get the bigger contracts off the team. If the right offer comes, I say you pull the trigger. Just my opinion.

He is only around 28. He is still young really.

It's pretty obvious that the Reds are basically out of it this season. If the right offer comes along at the deadline, you pull the trigger. I never said he's a bad pitcher because he's not. However, he has been getting roughed up lately. It's not all because of the lack of run support. He's a very good pitcher, but you pull the trigger for the right offer.

I still say no way they pull a trigger on a trade for Harang.

He is pitching for a BAD team. This is not his greatest season, no, but he is an elite pitcher year in and year out, gets a lot of K's, and goes 200+ innings every year.

I'm aware that the Reds are bad. Why do you think the Reds should hold onto him if the right deal comes along? They won't be able to keep the young core together if they dont free up some money somewhere.

Castellini has said he would put out more money if needed. Keeping Harang and the young core is a situation where I think Bob would dish out some extra cash.

Thats fine if he actually does it. But you can't count on that until it happens. Maybe he has told Walt that he plans to upgrade the payroll. Thats fine. But in the current situation I don't think Harang is untouchable.

Harang gives up about a run every 2 innings, and at least a hit per inning. His WHIP is .04 below the league average. In his last 7 starts, he has gone over 6 innings twice.

His stats (in terms of his average start) are similar to Paul Maholm, the Pittsburgh Pirates 3rd starter.

I know that part of his appeal is that he eats a lot of innings over the course of the year (which I guess indicates that he isn't too prone to injuries) but is he really an Ace?

I don't think I'd call him untouchable. I would expect a good deal for him, but untouchable?