Walt Jockety names 5 untouchable Red's players

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harang gives up about a run every 2 innings, and at least a hit per inning. His WHIP is .04 below the league average. In his last 7 starts, he has gone over 6 innings twice.

His stats (in terms of his average start) are similar to Paul Maholm, the Pittsburgh Pirates 3rd starter.

I know that part of his appeal is that he eats a lot of innings over the course of the year (which I guess indicates that he isn't too prone to injuries) but is he really an Ace?

I don't think I'd call him untouchable. I would expect a good deal for him, but untouchable?

So you are going to write him off after a bad half of a season?

He is pitching for a BAD team. This is not his greatest season, no, but he is an elite pitcher year in and year out, gets a lot of K's, and goes 200+ innings every year.

Im pretty sure Harang is 4th in the N.L. in strikeouts, while Volquez is 1st. . . It amazes me how much the Reds underachieve every year. . If they could only get everything together at the same time. . . It always seems like, at lease to me, that either their pitching is hot and their bats are cold, or they get hot at the plate but dont have the pitching to finish out games.

Very frustrating to watch.:madman:

I think within 3 years Edwin is one of the best 3 3rd Basemen in the league.

So, you're essentially going to give him 6 years to prove himself? The guy shows flashes in the field and at the plate, but then looks completely lost at others. Where do you draw the line? He had 25 errors in '06 and cut that down to 16 last year. However, he's on pace for another 25 this year. Offensively, he's on pace to hit over 25 homeruns, which would be a career high, but yet have over 100 strikeouts.

EE was rushed up and has showed signs of brilliance. Whereas I think we've seen Phillips best last year. Not saying that's not very very good, but I don't see him improving on a 30-30 season. Edwin has the tools, just needs the time to fully develop them.

So, you're essentially going to give him 6 years to prove himself? The guy shows flashes in the field and at the plate, but then looks completely lost at others. Where do you draw the line? He had 25 errors in '06 and cut that down to 16 last year. However, he's on pace for another 25 this year. Offensively, he's on pace to hit over 25 homeruns, which would be a career high, but yet have over 100 strikeouts.
He's already proved him self worthy. Will I give him 6 years to become one of the best in the league when you know he has the tools to do so?

Why would you not?

I think within 3 years Edwin is one of the best 3 3rd Basemen in the league.

Wow. Who's rankings? I doubt he'll be widely considered one of the 3 best. I thought that until last year, but I think his ceiling is lower than that now.