So you read, but seldom post in P/R...

Why do you choose not to post (or post infrequently) in P/R?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you choose not to post (or post infrequently) in P/R?

• I enjoy watching all of the debate, but don't like to participate.
    • Most of the points I would make are already posted when I get there.
    • The posters there are out for blood and I would be eaten alive.
    • Other - please feel free to discuss in the thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read essentially everything that goes on in P&R.

What is intimidating to some is that we have a large group of smart posters on BGP. Seriously, and that is a cool thing. These posters can often put together, in to words, many thoughts a lot of us are having dealing with very complex issues. Speaking on behalf of the crowd which is often "intimidated", it is more so because the quality of posts we have on BGP set the bar so high often times, we are hesitant to respond.

It hasn't stopped me. :lol: I wouldn't classify my self in the group of smart posters at all. :creepy: I do learn alot from the smart ones, though. That leads me to ask questions to help me learn more, and to then look further elsewhere, which helps me learn more, and then I'll form an opinion, usually.

I will say....the economics threads are generally beyond my limited brain capacity....which might be why I'll never be rich. :lol:

It hasn't stopped me. :lol: I wouldn't classify my self in the group of smart posters at all. :creepy: I do learn alot from the smart ones, though. That leads me to ask questions to help me learn more, and to then look further elsewhere, which helps me learn more, and then I'll form an opinion, usually.

I will say....the economics threads are generally beyond my limited brain capacity....which might be why I'll never be rich. :lol:

Many times I have a lot of ideas and thoughts ready to post...but then I back down because someone else has posted something that I feel is way better :lol:. Other times that doesn't stop me.

I was once afraid to post in P&R because I felt everyone was much smarter and knew so much more than I do. I still believe that most of the people that debate in this forum are probably a lot smarter, but for some reason I eventually decided to join in :lol:.

I also learn from this forum. If I don't know something, I usually try and research it to see what I can find out before posting again :lol:.

Many times I have a lot of ideas and thoughts ready to post...but then I back down because someone else has posted something that I feel is way better :lol:. Other times that doesn't stop me.

I was once afraid to post in P&R because I felt everyone was much smarter and knew so much more than I do. I still believe that most of the people that debate in this forum are probably a lot smarter, but for some reason I eventually decided to join in :lol:.

I also learn from this forum. If I don't know something, I usually try and research it to see what I can find out before posting again :lol:.

You are a great contributer. Very knowledgable.

I spend a lot of time reading the P and R threads but don't post much.

My main reason for this is lack of knowledge on my behalf. I know I should be, but I've just never really been into politics.

I love the religion threads. I've always been fascinated with different types of religions and how society views them.

You learn something new everyday reading this forum.

I guess I fall somewhere in between those that "look but don't touch" and the regular P&R contributors. I browse the P&R threads a lot, but don't often have a lot to say.

It amuses me to look at the new threads. "Obama - Muslim, Terrorist or Both?" "McCain - Will he Live Through His First Term?". Etc., etc., etc. Before looking any farther, I can usually narrow down the thread starters to a couple of posters at most. In fact, it's almost become a game of sorts. Another diversion is to guess how many posts it will take for a McCain/Obama post to be jacked by someone claiming that the other guy/side did the same thing, only much much worse.

That being said, I hope and pray that the P&R forum will always remain a staple of BGP. While BGP will always be a high school sports site first and foremost, I believe that P&R, and the General Discussion forums provide an important sounding board for folks who have interests in addition to high school sports.

I read on here often and post just a very few times. I voted other. I will not say anything on a lot of these topics. The reason is because I will not be told that I am wrong in my belief because I know my belief is correct (just like you all know that what you believe is correct)....I love my BGP family and refuse to be so upset with disagreements that will break up the respect that I might have for someone else, or for them to stop respecting me. You can not change anyone's mind on anything if the belief is too strong, therefore, no amount of arguments will change my or your mind. PH and I will not fight over anything...our choice because life is just too short and we have seen what that can do to some marriages....we don't agree on everything, however, we do come to a middle of the road decision that we both will be happy with and unhappy with at the same time. Because of our marriage pact, we have both chosen to carry this into our extended family life as well as our relationships with friends, co-workers, etc. Sometimes it is hard to bite your tongue and things are said, that is why I will not post on most of these threads...because I am one that finds it difficult to bite my tongue and I would really regrete being in a battle with one of my BGP family members!

Mrs. PH, I understand what you're getting at. Matters of politics and religion tend to be very personal, and as such, some folks can get upset if they feel like their value systems are being challenged. As a result, they may stay away from this particular forum.

This may not be the exact quote, but I always heard that the key to a successful marriage is to leave two or three things unsaid every day.:D

And although the P&R forum can get a little rough-and-tumble sometimes, the same can be said of high school football or college basketball, to name a couple of examples. We do love our sports teams!

Which is more tedious - a long Trinity-St. Xavier football thread, or a long "Global Warming - Fact or Fantasy" thread?

Here's one turn-off that I do have with the P&R forum. You see a lot of posts like these:

"Link?"

"Care to elaborate?"

"Why?"

And while those who post like this may SAY they're doing so in the name of honest debate, what I really think they're saying is "I don't believe you."

Although Im a republican, I read the political posts with an open mind and respect everyone's opinion. However, I have seen discussions where this atitude isnt always the case with some posters. I like a real debate over an issue but I simply wont reduce myself to taking cheap shots at someone because their views differ from mine! But, I will try to post more in the future!!

Mrs. PH, I understand what you're getting at. Matters of politics and religion tend to be very personal, and as such, some folks can get upset if they feel like their value systems are being challenged. As a result, they may stay away from this particular forum.

This may not be the exact quote, but I always heard that the key to a successful marriage is to leave two or three things unsaid every day.:D

And although the P&R forum can get a little rough-and-tumble sometimes, the same can be said of high school football or college basketball, to name a couple of examples. We do love our sports teams!

Which is more tedious - a long Trinity-St. Xavier football thread, or a long "Global Warming - Fact or Fantasy" thread?

Here's one turn-off that I do have with the P&R forum. You see a lot of posts like these:

"Link?"

"Care to elaborate?"

"Why?"

And while those who post like this may SAY they're doing so in the name of honest debate, what I really think they're saying is "I don't believe you."

I am one of the big culprits here. I understand why you think that but in my case with my background in history I have always been taught to verify evidence and back up any argument I make with supporting facts and to make those available if someone wants more detail or proof. That is usually my intention behind it.

I am one of the big culprits here. I understand why you think that but in my case with my background in history I have always been taught to verify evidence and back up any argument I make with supporting facts and to make those available if someone wants more detail or proof. That is usually my intention behind it.

I'm like that, too. My scientific nature makes me want evidence to back up claims.

Sometimes I reply that way because I don't want to assume something and be upset and post some big tirade if I'm wrong. I almost always ask for more information so that I don't make a butt of myself replying. :D