Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why?

Featured Replies

This sins of our fathers is correct for the most part, slavery ended along time ago in this country, but inequality has not. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and still remember how terrible people were treated simply because of their color. You're also correct in that if we just accept it we are aiding it.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why accept it?

 

If true equality is the goal then shouldn't all double standards cease to exist?How long do we as a society have to pay for the sins of our fathers?

 

IMVHO those that "accept" these double standard simply perpetuate the ill feelings that occur between the races.

 

Affirmative actions did cease to exist, along with sit aside programs for minorities. It time to move into a color blind society in America and stop allowing the Dixiecrats republicans to continue to have seperate but equal societies in America. We are one country of many Americans not two.

When exactly did "affirmative actions" cease to exist? And it is my understanding that in Kentucky ANY state construction project by law must include a certain percentage of minority owned contractors. (I could be wrong about this and if so I will gladly acknowlege my error) Wouldn't that be a "sit aside" program.

 

Please cite specific examples of what you call the "Dixiecrat republicans" separate but equal societies.

 

Finally, if as you say you truely want a colorblind society then it seems that you would be one of the most vocal in condemnation of any double standard in treatment between the races. In fact I would go on to say that the type of rhetoric that you have used here does as much to perpetuate racial divide as anything.

Pretty much for the same reasons I couldn't start a White Student Union on campus at UK, but a Black Student Union flies.

 

Or I couldn't start a whites-only fraternity on campus but black frats exist.

Or I couldn't start a whites-only fraternity on campus but black frats exist.

 

This is one that I have never quite understood myself, its the same thing as All Tell is expressing. I am in a fraternity and if we were to deny an African American the chance to join simply by color I am sure that we would get into a whole heap of trouble and it would be very bad for us. But, a white guy couldn't join an All African American fraternity, doesn't seem right.

 

(And just for the record we have tried to rush several African American men into our chapter. Some came rather close, but then decided to quit and actually join one of the African American fraternities here).

It's all perspective and opinion. As an undecided voter, I feel he DOES have qualifications to be president.
And they are?
When exactly did "affirmative actions" cease to exist? And it is my understanding that in Kentucky ANY state construction project by law must include a certain percentage of minority owned contractors. (I could be wrong about this and if so I will gladly acknowlege my error) Wouldn't that be a "sit aside" program.

 

Please cite specific examples of what you call the "Dixiecrat republicans" separate but equal societies.

 

Finally, if as you say you truely want a colorblind society then it seems that you would be one of the most vocal in condemnation of any double standard in treatment between the races. In fact I would go on to say that the type of rhetoric that you have used here does as much to perpetuate racial divide as anything.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

 

I anxiously await his reply.

Why accept it?

 

If true equality is the goal then shouldn't all double standards cease to exist?

 

How long do we as a society have to pay for the sins of our fathers?

IMVHO those that "accept" these double standard simply perpetuate the ill feelings that occur between the races.

 

How long do you think? Every crime has a sentence, so how long do you think is the right amount of time for the suffrage that the African American community had to live through?

How long do you think? Every crime has a sentence, so how long do you think is the right amount of time for the suffrage that the African American community had to live through?

 

I'm sick of it all. I did nothing to no one. I shouldn't have to make concessions because I'm white or fear that I'm going to miss out on a job, promotion or acceptance to graduate school because of affirmative action. It REALLY needs to go.

I'm sick of it all. I did nothing to no one. I shouldn't have to make concessions because I'm white or fear that I'm going to miss out on a job, promotion or acceptance to graduate school because of affirmative action. It REALLY needs to go.

 

African Americans are discriminated against just as much when it comes to jobs, schools etc. Maybe more. And this is WITH Affirmative Action.

 

Without Affirmative Action more discrimination would most likely occur.

African Americans are discriminated against just as much when it comes to jobs, schools etc. Maybe more. And this is WITH Affirmative Action.

 

Without Affirmative Action more discrimination would most likely occur.

 

So instead we'll just force a business owner to begrudgingly hire a black to fill some arbitrary quota?

 

Maybe I'm an optimist or maybe I just don't understand because I've never been black, but I think the playing field is even in most cities.

So instead we'll just force a business owner to begrudgingly hire a black to fill some arbitrary quota?

 

Maybe I'm an optimist or maybe I just don't understand because I've never been black, but I think the playing field is even in most cities.

 

:thumb:

 

There are a lot of racist people left in this country, I know that first hand.

 

How could you possibly know if the playing field is level in most cities? Have you lived in most cities? And you said yourself you aren't black, so that's out of the question. I don't think it is as bad as some people make it out to be, but it is far worse than others want to believe.

And they are?

 

I hate to threadjack, but RTS, for you, I will mention them, though they were already mentioned in the other thread. In addition to his 4 years in the US Senate, he served 8 in the Ill. state senate. If anyone wants the stats on his legislation proposals or committee's served, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama. Obama also graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law school.

 

If everyone is going to discount Sen. Obama's time in the US senate (in addition to the Ill. state senate), then you have to dismiss Sen. McCain's, too. How can both have the same characterstic - senate position - but McCain's counts and Obama's doesn't? Yes, McCain has more years of experience, but they both have experience. To me, it is a double standard.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Issue with link...hope it works now!

African Americans are discriminated against just as much when it comes to jobs, schools etc. Maybe more. And this is WITH Affirmative Action.

 

Without Affirmative Action more discrimination would most likely occur.

College Acceptance Rates (2005)
Overall Acceptance Rate Black Acceptance Rate % Difference
Harvard University 10.0% 16.7% + 67.0%
MIT 15.9% 31.6% + 98.7%
Brown 16.6% 26.3% + 58.4%
Penn 21.2% 30.1% + 42.0%
Georgetown 22.0% 30.7% + 39.5%

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.