Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why?

Featured Replies

You'd be as likely to get somebody to go on record admitting that as you would Bull Connor for terrorizing blacks, and you know it.

 

Ask your friends. Or are you afraid of what they might tell you?

 

I'm not afraid of anything and I didn't make a blanket statement with no corroboration either. Surely if this "policy" was as widespread as you indicate somoene would have spoken up. Louis Coleman is way to vocal to let something like this be swept under the rug.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article from Leonard Pitts that touches on some of the points made in this thread:

 

 

RACE IN THE RACE: Stop trying to weasel out of what is self-evident

 

Sure, I'll answer your question.

 

It rose from a recent column about the Democratic primary in West Virginia. The contest, you will recall, was a decisive victory for Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama, amid reports that two in 10 voters in that overwhelmingly white state said race was a deciding factor in their decisions. I called that atavistic, to which dozens of you responded: If two in 10 whites voting for Clinton is wrong, isn't the overwhelming support of blacks for Obama equally wrong?

 

It isn't quite the stumper some folks seem to think.

 

I suppose the first thing that needs saying is that I have no objection to people of any marginalized ethnicity, race, religion or gender voting in a bloc for some member of their group. That's how they become less marginalized, how they win a seat at the table. The Irish did it in New York, the Cubans did it in Miami, many women are doing it now.

 

Thing is, that's not what happened in West Virginia. Not unless you're going to tell me with a straight face that that vote reflected marginalized whites (an oxymoron if ever there was one) seeking a seat at the table. No, all the evidence, statistical and anecdotal, tells us those folks did not vote for Clinton because she is white; they voted against Obama because he is black. There's a difference.

What did he base his opinion on?

 

If he was truly the most qualified then how did AA help him showcase his talents? Are you engaging in supposition that had AA not existed he wouldn't have been chosen in the first place? That's kind of meaningless much like your supposition that without AA minorities would all be victims of blatant discrimination.

 

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe he got to showcase his talents because he was the best and that it had nothing to do with the color of his skin. If the company was as blatantly discriminatory as you seem to be indicating in their choice of candidates then I really doubt your friend would have gotten the job. The would have taken of of the allegedly lesser qualified candidates as a finalist and hired a white guy based on better qualifications.

 

I'm sorry (no wait no I'm not) but I just don't see racism and/or discrimination everytime a white person gets a job rather then a minority applicant. And as long as there are people like you that do there will never be equality in racial hiring.

 

First off, let me explain in more detail about my friends situation. He was picked with 7 others to compete (so to speak) in a 12 week training. At the end of the training, the company chose who earned the promotion and the others had to wait for the next opening. He claims 2 of the white males should not have been in the training, their resumes did not stack up to any of the people in the group. I find it funny that out of the 8, one black and one female. Sounds like a quota to me, but he earned the position once he got the opportunity.

 

I am a very open minded person. I know that their are minorities that have gotten positions because of AA, over better qualified people and I know that at the same time companies will pick lesser qualified white males over minorities and females after they have their quota.

 

Of course I know your not sorry, you have a resentment against AA. I don't know why, maybe you, family member or friend got passed over for a minority. Maybe it was because of AA or maybe the minority was more qualified and it is easier to make excuses...

Just throwing this out there....

 

What if Affirmative Action were ceased? What if the "White Man" then suddenly started getting all the entrances into the top colleges, top jobs, top pay? What if minorities, including women and blacks suddenly started finding themselves unable to even be considered for positions? Would you state that they just weren't working as hard? Or that they aren't as qualified?

 

To me, I can see both sides of the issue. But, I don't think we're far enough along as a country to end Affirmative Action at this time.

 

Thank you Rock Mom, that is my point... :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.