Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why?

Featured Replies

That continuously gets ignored. Why?

 

I think most mixed race people will say that they had a hard time fitting in with any race growing up. I know Rod woodson and Hines Ward both have said that about their past.

 

I have said in this forum before that my father is hispanic and my mother is white. I agree wholeheartedly with Pancake, but I had a harder time fitting in in on the "white" side then the "hispanic" side.

 

Back to the original comment....I don't see ANYONE calling Obama white....including any of the P/R forum posters.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have said in this forum before that my father is hispanic and my mother is white. I agree wholeheartedly with Pancake, but I had a harder time fitting in in on the "white" side then the "hispanic" side.

 

Back to the original comment....I don't see ANYONE calling Obama white....including any of the P/R forum posters.

Obama has chosen to identify himself as an African-American. Why should anybody call him white?
Just throwing this out there....

 

What if Affirmative Action were ceased? What if the "White Man" then suddenly started getting all the entrances into the top colleges, top jobs, top pay? What if minorities, including women and blacks suddenly started finding themselves unable to even be considered for positions? Would you state that they just weren't working as hard? Or that they aren't as qualified?

 

To me, I can see both sides of the issue. But, I don't think we're far enough along as a country to end Affirmative Action at this time.

 

Just throwing this out there.

 

What if Affirmative Action were stopped and qualified women and minorities got jobs and those that weren't qualified didn't?

 

FWIW I have no issue with laws that prevent workplace discrimimation and when it is proven it should be punished harshly BUT I do have a problem when people better qualified are passed over based on some artificial quota system.

 

Would you want your kids to be treated by a physician that only got admitted to med school because a certain percentage of applicants had to be minorities and he/she wouldn't have gotten in other wise?

Look at college for instance. Many minorities fall into the middle class, and many whites live in poverty. Unfortunately, the way things are set up now, a poverty-stricken white student who uses discipline and hard work to become the best he can be can be passed over by a richer minority student who doesn't put in much effort at all. Do you view that as a level playing field?

 

Kids from appalachia are considered minorities and there are scholarships set aside for them

Kids from appalachia are considered minorities and there are scholarships set aside for them
Poor whites don't only live in Appalachia.

Could you provide a link for scholarships?

Isn't Barak as much white as he is not?

 

That continuously gets ignored. Why?

 

Obama has chosen to identify himself as an African-American. Why should anybody call him white?

 

Are you asking me the question or the answering the original person who asked?

Poor whites don't only live in Appalachia.

Could you provide a link for scholarships?

 

Check with you high school guidance counselor. I was offered one to a school in the north east b/c I was from appalachia. They understood that there were more obstacles for me to overcome than others had.

 

There are poor kids is all places, Berea offers scholarships to all in Kentucky now.

Are you asking me the question or the answering the original person who asked?
I'm asking anyone that can provide an answer.
I'm asking anyone that can provide an answer.

 

Sorry, RTS, I was wanting to know if AcesFull's, who quoted me was asking me the question, or trying to answer your original one.

Sorry, RTS, I was wanting to know if AcesFull's, who quoted me was asking me the question, or trying to answer your original one.
My mistake, TB&G.
Check with you high school guidance counselor. I was offered one to a school in the north east b/c I was from appalachia. They understood that there were more obstacles for me to overcome than others had.

 

There are poor kids is all places, Berea offers scholarships to all in Kentucky now.

 

Berea has offered full rides for sometime. I know. I went on one many moons ago. My uncles and aunts went on them even many more moons ago.

Berea has offered full rides for sometime. I know. I went on one many moons ago. My uncles and aunts went on them even many more moons ago.

 

Their mission used to focus on appalachia, they have now expanded, only in the last 10 years to include the poor in Jefferson Co.

I'm getting in a little late on this thread but have been keeping up with it for the past couple of days.

 

I agree with both sides in some ways I suppose.

 

Here's another angle to look at the subject :

I'm watching the Lakers / Celtics game right now. As I type, I count 8 African men on the floor and two white men. Is this unfair ? Should the African athletes that are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game have their jobs taken away so more players of different skin colors and cultures get a chance to play ? Should we penalize Kobe, KG, Pierce and others because they have worked hard their entire lives to get where they are ? Should we kick them off the teams and allow more white players to play based on nothing but the fact that they are white ? Or should we just allow the most qualified and hard working athletes play regardless of their skin color ?

I'm sorry if I'm blind to everything that is going on around me, and I understand that racism is still very well alive, I just don't see it being that huge of a problem in the job market.

 

I could understand some mom and pop store out in the country not hiring someone based on their skin color. I could also see a white man not getting a job as a barber in some barber shop in Atlanta or NY based on his skin color.

 

Both of the above scenarios are believable to me. I just really have a hard time believing that men and women smart enough to run major corporations would be dumb enough to hire people based on what the color of their skin was.

 

I was once involved in a fairly large family owned business. I was in charge of the majority of our hiring. As selfish as it sounds, I based my hiring on who I could benefit from the most. I based my hiring on who would be the most productive and make our business the most money. I didn't care if they were white, black, orange or green. If they were hard workers, they were hired.

Not gonna play that. You made the assertion, surely you have proof.

 

You'd be as likely to get somebody to go on record admitting that as you would Bull Connor for terrorizing blacks, and you know it.

 

Ask your friends. Or are you afraid of what they might tell you?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.