Knott Central's HC, Gary Hammonds, To Retire

KCC's head coach will retire after this season. Coach Hammaonds has lead the Patriots to the state championship tournament a couple of times and had the once feared team in the 14th. In recent years the program has seen a decline. Less players are coming out due to less students in Knott Central and a feeder system that is non existent. I am not sure what Coach will do after the season is done, but I hope that he can find a place where he can be better respected and have more success. I'm sorry to see a great coach leave a program that was one of the best in the state. Good luck Coach and we'll all miss you immensely. :thumb:

Hammonds has coached all three of my boys. He has taught them how to play the game of baseball. With respect to game, the coach, teammates, and opponents. You show class on and off the field and play 100% every time you are on the diamond. The team was to act like gentleman wherever they stayed and/or dined. They did and they were complimented on it. It still shows today with my boys. Thanks Coach.

Couch should be next in line, he has been waiting for a long time for it, but you never know if he wants to give up softball or not! :) And then there is the new Super's people, Cavanaugh Trent comes to mind, a lot thought he may be the next coach in basketball, but I see him coming over and being the next baseball coach of the patriots, he will do a good job with that too, seeing he knows the game very well. Couch or Trent will both be great replacements for Coach Hammonds.

I don't want to say too much at this time, but the team is fighting the retirement. They don't want Hammonds to go. They have gone to the superintendent and talked to her. And they have spoken with the VP, I mean, principal. Their feelings are that Coach has done a great job with the team with what he started out with this season. Now, KCC has 3 boys that were on the team from last season. 2 are sophomores and the other a freshman. The rest came out this season and these boys haven't played baseball in a year or two, or not for up to 4 years. The team is getting there. They beat Cordia and have played good games against Buckhorn (game was suspended last night due to rain), and Leslie County this week. The Allen Central game was bad at the end. The boys played with Allen for 4 innings and actually lead the game at one point. The wheels just fell off in that game.

I'd like to say a few more things, but that would just hurt the cause. And that's the last thing I want to do. If Hammonds does end up retiring, Couch will, more than likely, get the job. I don't see it going to anyone else. Unless the superintendent steps in.

Coach Couch will be putting in for this job and should be next in line for it. He has the knowledge and the talent for this position. The kids will love him as the new coach. Any other choice would be ridiculous!

This is a problem I see way too often, schools/programs relying on someone in the system. Whether it is in sports or an administrative position. Sometimes, you have to go out and hire the best fit. Get away from the back alley politics of schools.

I am not saying this guy is not the best for the job but look at other coaches and see what they can brinig to your program.