May 7, 200818 yr Sorry guys. Habib and I were next so some terrrrrrrile Cubs fans. I love the shouting back and forth arguments while not looking at each other.
May 7, 200818 yr 1-5 with an ERA right at 3. Unreal... How do we pay this guy enough to stick around? Must be the coneys.
May 7, 200818 yr Place looked empty on TV. I know it's a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday series, but I have been shocked at how empty the place has been the first two days of this series. I guess a small crowd this afternoon would be expected.
May 7, 200818 yr Author I know it's a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday series, but I have been shocked at how empty the place has been the first two days of this series. I guess a small crowd this afternoon would be expected. I think the crowd will be bigger today.
May 7, 200818 yr Author Why? It's supposed to be a beautiful day today, and BDS usually draw a decent crowd, add in Volquez pitching, and I think you have the potential for 22, 000 or so.
May 7, 200818 yr I think the crowd will be bigger today. I've talked on here about this for the past four years. And everytime I'm told "nothing to worry about. School's still in, people at work, etc." GT brought it up in another thread. Griffey is going for HR #600 and you are hearing very little about it. The Reds marketing team needs to be fired across the board. Through 15 games, they are averaging playing before a half full stadium. Weather really hasn't been an issue. I know fans of other baseball teams (I won't mention any) are getting ripped for their behavior but at least they are at the games. An apathetic fan base is a bad sign.
May 7, 200818 yr I know fans of other baseball teams (I won't mention any) are getting ripped for their behavior but at least they are at the games. An apathetic fan base is a bad sign. I have mentioned it before, I was stunned 2 years ago when the Reds were actually in the race late in the year. They had to have dollar hot dog nights and half off seats to fill the park and even then it wasn't a sell out and those games were against the Cardinals. This start isn't going to get anyone going to the games, but I just wonder how long it's going to take before people start showing up again in decent numbers.
May 7, 200818 yr Author I've talked on here about this for the past four years. And everytime I'm told "nothing to worry about. School's still in, people at work, etc." GT brought it up in another thread. Griffey is going for HR #600 and you are hearing very little about it. The Reds marketing team needs to be fired across the board. Through 15 games, they are averaging playing before a half full stadium. Weather really hasn't been an issue. I know fans of other baseball teams (I won't mention any) are getting ripped for their behavior but at least they are at the games. An apathetic fan base is a bad sign. 7 straight losing seasons will do that to you. What other franchises that consistently lose have good attendance? Do I need to go back, and show you some of the attendance stats for the Cubs back in the 70's?
May 7, 200818 yr 7 straight losing seasons will do that to you. What other franchises that consistently lose have good attendance? Do I need to go back, and show you some of the attendance stats for the Cubs back in the 70's? No, but when they began marketing things other than the teams (such as the ballpark and the players), their attendance figures went up. And despite making the playoffs every so often, they are consistently in the top four in attendance regardless of how good the team is. And that's with another team in town. Houston isn't that good and they are drawing 84% capacity to the Juice Box. The Padres, Nationals, and Twins aren't major market teams and they are easily outdrawing the Reds. And they are a combined 13 games under .500. And like the Reds, they have all recently opened new ballparks. Other than the game, is there anything about GABP that makes you want to go there? I know the levee is right across the river, but I'm talking about the ballpark. It comes down to marketing and not the on-field product. Or maybe the national perception about Cincinnati and their fans is correct. It's the same perception Atlanta got when they couldn't sell out playoff games. You don't see Braves fans making anyone's list of the best baseball fans either.
May 7, 200818 yr Author No, but when they began marketing things other than the teams (such as the ballpark and the players), their attendance figures went up. And despite making the playoffs every so often, they are consistently in the top four in attendance regardless of how good the team is. And that's with another team in town. Houston isn't that good and they are drawing 84% capacity to the Juice Box. The Padres, Nationals, and Twins aren't major market teams and they are easily outdrawing the Reds. And they are a combined 13 games under .500. And like the Reds, they have all recently opened new ballparks. Other than the game, is there anything about GABP that makes you want to go there? I know the levee is right across the river, but I'm talking about the ballpark. It comes down to marketing and not the on-field product. Or maybe the national perception about Cincinnati and their fans is correct. It's the same perception Atlanta got when they couldn't sell out playoff games. You don't see Braves fans making anyone's list of the best baseball fans either. The Twins and Padres have had pretty good teams that have made the playoffs the last few years. The Nationals are a brand new ball team, so I don't think that's a good comparison. To be honest with you, I don't know why anyone would spend that much money on a ticket, if they're not interested in watching the game. That is the one and only reason I go to the stadium.
May 7, 200818 yr The Twins and Padres have had pretty good teams that have made the playoffs the last few years. The Nationals are a brand new ball team, so I don't think that's a good comparison. To be honest with you, I don't know why anyone would spend that much money on a ticket, if they're not interested in watching the game. That is the one and only reason I go to the stadium.Times have changed. Kids don't want to sit through a game for nine innings, ask questions about baseball, and have their dad or grand dad show them how to keep score. They want to throw baseballs at a radared backdrop, climb a rock wall, or do other things. Cleveland's Jacobs Field was one of the first stadiums to offer other things for the kids to do. Heck, I was 24 and was standing in line to see how fast I could throw or do other things. Anyone involved in marketing an MLB team will tell you that you have to adjust to your fan base. The Brooklyn Dodgers didn't sell sushi at their concession stands years ago. Heck, the LA Dodgers didn't 30 years ago. Guess what one of their biggest concession stand sellers is now? Seattle had a huge influx of Asian fans as a result of Ichiro. Their concession stands and marketing campaigns shifted as a result. The Mariners aren't a consistent winner yet they are consistantly in the top 10 in attendance. And again, they are in a new ballpark. I went to a Reds game 10 years ago and was keeping score in the my program. You should have seen the funny looks I got from the people around me. "What are you writing in the program?" "I'm keeping score of the game." "Why?" "Because it is a baseball tradition. The same reason you stand midway through the seventh inning and sing." I don't think it registered with him. The times are a'changing and the same marketing ploys the Reds used in the early 1990s do not and will not work today.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.