May 7, 200818 yr Author Times have changed. Kids don't want to sit through a game for nine innings, ask questions about baseball, and have their dad or grand dad show them how to keep score. They want to throw baseballs at a radared backdrop, climb a rock wall, or do other things. Cleveland's Jacobs Field was one of the first stadiums to offer other things for the kids to do. Heck, I was 24 and was standing in line to see how fast I could throw or do other things. Anyone involved in marketing an MLB team will tell you that you have to adjust to your fan base. The Brooklyn Dodgers didn't sell sushi at their concession stands years ago. Heck, the LA Dodgers didn't 30 years ago. Guess what one of their biggest concession stand sellers is now? Seattle had a huge influx of Asian fans as a result of Ichiro. Their concession stands and marketing campaigns shifted as a result. The Mariners aren't a consistent winner yet they are consistantly in the top 10 in attendance. And again, they are in a new ballpark. I went to a Reds game 10 years ago and was keeping score in the my program. You should have seen the funny looks I got from the people around me. "What are you writing in the program?" "I'm keeping score of the game." "Why?" "Because it is a baseball tradition. The same reason you stand midway through the seventh inning and sing." I don't think it registered with him. The times are a'changing and the same marketing ploys the Reds used in the early 1990s do not and will not work today. Maybe all of this just reinforces that Cincinnati is a true "baseball city", and they don't care about all of the other marketing gimmicks. They just want a winner, and they'll show up. I don't know. I do know that I go to about 10-15 less games a year because of the price of tickets, gas prices, and two children. :D
May 7, 200818 yr Maybe all of this just reinforces that Cincinnati is a true "baseball city", and they don't care about all of the other marketing gimmicks. They just want a winner, and they'll show up. I don't know. I do know that I go to about 10-15 less games a year because of the price of tickets, gas prices, and two children. :D True. And apparently, a lot of people in the Cincy area feel the same way. It's the job of the Reds' marketing department to get you to the game anyway, no matter how you feel. I never understood why they didn't just reduce ticket prices for day games or for teams like the Pirates, Marlins or Nationals. Heck, give the tickets away and you'll still make some money on the parking, concession, and souvenier sales. Maybe they'll like it enough to come back and pay next time. It's not like they are doing something with the 20,000 empty seats anyway.
May 7, 200818 yr And of course, it may be the fans' way of protesting the way the franchise has been drug into the ground over the past decade.
May 7, 200818 yr Att:was 21.153 for the game last night,there had to been around 7,000 Cubs fans there. We were in the view level box no.426 great seats and there were Cubs fans to the right,lelf and above us, you could hear them, they were loud.
May 7, 200818 yr Att:was 21.153 for the game last night,there had to been around 7,000 Cubs fans there. We were in the view level box no.426 great seats and there were Cubs fans to the right,lelf and above us, you could hear them, they were loud.This is typical of games in August and September when the Cubs are sniffing the playoffs. It's very telling of the Reds in May.
May 7, 200818 yr Author Reds/Cubs no score after 1 inning. The Reds won't score off Lieber. He dominates the Reds.
May 7, 200818 yr The Reds won't score off Lieber. He dominates the Reds. I said at the beginning the Reds would take 2 out of 3 in this series and I won't change my stance. Even if the Cubs take a 14 run lead late into the game, the Reds are winning today. :cry: Votto solo homer, 1-0 Reds. Dunn solo homer, 2-0 Reds. Bako solo homer, 3-0 Reds.
May 7, 200818 yr Wayne Krenchicki solo homer 4-0 Reds Kal Daniels solo homer 5-0 Reds Junior Kennedy solo homer 6-0 Reds
May 7, 200818 yr Wayne Krenchicki solo homer 4-0 Reds Kal Daniels solo homer 5-0 Reds Junior Kennedy solo homer 6-0 Reds At this point, nothing would surprise me. When I saw Lieber pitching today, I knew the Reds would light him up and sure enough look what has happened. Lieber won't make to the 5th and if the Cubs manage to get a single run off Voltron, that would be a miracle. Thank god the Cubs won last night, just brutal losing 2 out of 3 to another awful team. Hairston 2 run homer, 5-0 Reds. Still in the bottom of the 2nd. Before I suffer a word violation on this site or break anything in this house. I'm signing off til this god awful display is over.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.