April 1, 200818 yr 1st seat on the bench should be left open EVERY single game. Bill Keightley was the most famous equipment manager ever. RIP Mr. Wildcat. :thumb::thumb:
April 1, 200818 yr This is a great loss to Kentucky Basketball and their fans. Mr. Wildcat has been a part of UK Basketball for 32 years. He has attended more than 1400 games and has served under 6 head coaches. Bill will be missed by many across the state and along with his Wildcat family. Our prayers go out to his family along with thanks for the many years he has dedicated to our Basketball program. If you have any Mr. Basketball stories to share in his honer we would love to see them.
April 1, 200818 yr Man, this completely took me off guard. How many times can you randomly be looking at sports on yahoo.com and see a story about your favorite team's Equipment Manager passing away. Few men have ever touched an entire fan base like this guy did. Really, might have been the most recognizable person of the University of Kentucky. Crushed. RIP Mr. Wildcat.
April 1, 200818 yr To the legend of Lexington, the master of managers, and the soul of the wildcat nation. Tonight we are shocked, and lost in thoughts and memories. The wildcat nation will carry on your memories. Good Night Mr. Wildcat!
April 1, 200818 yr I had met Keightley multiple times and we would often times just talk about the Reds, considering when I would see him was during the summer. He usually made the Kicks for Kids Banquet, where he would talk to anyone. Just a sad hearing of his passing. He loved his Wildcats and he loved his Reds. He was really good friends with Marty Brennaman. I would imagine Marty will have a thing or two to say about him on Wednesday's broadcast. Rick Pitino even invited Keightley to attend the Sweet 16 in Charlotte. There are some funny stories Pitino tells about Keightley, and I can't recall the book it was in. It may have been Lonnie Wheeler's Wild Blue Yonder...anyways...Pitino tells the story of when he first came to Lexington he had to take a flight out to the airport. Keightley says he would be more than willing to drive him. Pitino accepts. Keightley goes over to pick him up and Pitino hears this loud sounding vehicle coming down the road...and it is Keightley in his old beatup pickup truck. Pitino has to throw his luggage in the bed of the truck...they have a conversation and so forth...upon his return from wherever Pitino went, one of the first things he does is buy Keightley and brand new truck. Going to be a great number of stories told the next few days, for arguably the most popular Wildcat of all.
April 1, 200818 yr ^ I can't wait to see more of the above.....while he is in a better place...those of us here, can really enjoy some stories at what REALLY made this legend go.
April 1, 200818 yr ”This is one of the saddest days of my life,” UK coach Billy Gillispie said from Cincinnati Monday night. “I commented earlier today that at the age of 81, he’s become one of my very best friends, and the person I was talking to said, ‘That’s what makes him so great, because everyone feels he’s their best friend’. And that’s because he was so genuine and so caring about others. ”He influenced each of us on a daily basis, and he was a great example of someone who loved his university more than anything. Obviously, he’s in a better place, but the void he leaves for all of us, and especially his family, is going to be a difficult situation. Our hearts go out to his family and the millions of Wildcats fans who he loved so much.” BCG is going to be taking this very hard. He and other members of the staff were at the hospital when he passed, along with family members. At the Sweet 16 Keightley was always right next to Gillispie.
April 1, 200818 yr I encountered Mr. Keightley on several occasions when I worked with the Women's Basketball team. I would always see him in the hallways in Memorial and he always had a smile on his face and a kind word to say. A great human being that will definitely be missed. Prayers go out to the family, the program, and the UK community.
April 1, 200818 yr Very tragic and sad day for all :cry:. Bill "Mr. Wildcat" Keightly WAS U.K. Basketball. This is the death of a legend. I can't really find the words :cry:. What a wonderful man who was loved by all. I certainly agree with the post by Bird Man earlier, a seat on the U.K. bench should be permantly left open in honor of Keightly. I wish that this man could have written a book on his life and times at U.K.. I can only imagine the stories that he could have told. My mother, who is 81 years old and a life long U.K. fan always loved Keightly, she got to see him and meet him one day at Rupp before a U.K. game. This man took time to talk to her and made her and all around feel like they had known each other all of their life. I was forever appreciative of this man for that, that short meeting made my mothers day to say the least and I honestly believe was one of the highlights of her life. Heaven has gained the Greatest Wildcat of all and we all have lost a true friend whether or not any of us have ever met him or not. I never had the pleasure of meeting this man but still feel like I have known him all of my life. R.I.P. Bill Keightly............Mr. Wildcat. May God bless and comfort the family of Mr. Keightly.
April 1, 200818 yr This has just made me sad. I hate UK, but this does the same to me....my heart slumped in hearing this news.....Legends are way too few and far between in today's society, the Commonwealth has lost a special one.
April 1, 200818 yr Very tragic and sad day for all :cry:. Bill "Mr. Wildcat" Keightly WAS U.K. Basketball. This is the death of a legend. I can't really find the words :cry:. What a wonderful man who was loved by all. I certainly agree with the post by Bird Man earlier, a seat on the U.K. bench should be permantly left open in honor of Keightly. I wish that this man could have written a book on his life and times at U.K.. I can only imagine the stories tat he could have told. My mother, who is 81 years old and a life long U.K. fan always loved Keightly, she got to see him and meet him one day at Rupp before a U.K. game. This man took time to talk to her and made her and all around feel like they had known each other all of their life. I was forever appreciative of this man for that, that short meeting made my mothers day to say the least and I honestly believe was one of the highlights of her life. Heaven has gained the Greatest Wildcat of all and we all have lost a true friend whether or not any of us have ever met him or not. I never had the pleasure of meeting this man but still feel like I have known him all of my life. R.I.P. Bill Keightly............Mr. Wildcat. May God bless and comfort the family of Mr. Keightly. Excellent post, don't let my feelings for UK dissuade any thoughts, I am greatly saddened by this news
April 1, 200818 yr One of the most hilarious things that I had ever heard from Keightly was one time on the U.K. coaches show he was ask if he had any things that he really disliked since he had such a friendly and postive attitude about everything. Keightly replied...........Yes I do, I cannot stand "Smelly socks, Laziness or the Louisville Cardinals" :lol::lol:. I about fell out of my chair :lol:. Another that I remember hearing was a little after Coach Pitino was named the head coach at Louisville Keightly was ask.......Bill now that Pitino is going to Louisville how do you feel about that? Keightly replied as only he could say...."you know, I was in the service and made it through WWII, I think that I will survive this" :lol:. Again, there will never be another 'Mr. Wildcat" and shouldn't be. Keightly to say the very least was one of a kind.
April 1, 200818 yr Excellent post, don't let my feelings for UK dissuade any thoughts, I am greatly saddened by this news :thumb: I wouldn't think that you would RP, I can't immagine anyone not liking Bill Keightly. I can only imagine the time that Keightly and Cawood Ledford are having right now in heaven.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.