April 1, 200818 yr Will they hold the funeral services in Rupp Arena? Funeral arrangements are being finalized this afternoon.
April 1, 200818 yr If there was a Mount Rushmore of Kentucky Basketball, his face would definitely be a part of it, along with Rupp and Cawood. :thumb: Absolutely, those three DEFINE Basketball in Kentucky!!
April 1, 200818 yr One of the best men I have ever met. He was a great human being. Prayers to his family. He will be missed by so many.
April 1, 200818 yr -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tubby Smith releases a statement on Bill Keightley (via University of Minnesota Athletics): “Words can not describe what Mr. Keightley has meant to me and many others that have been involved with Kentucky Basketball. Mr. Keightley has been a confidant to so many coaches that have had the good fortune to sit along side him. That is what it has been, us sitting next to him, not him sitting next to us. No one will ever love Kentucky Basketball more than Mr. Keightley. A few years back, he began writing his book of stories about UK Basketball. For those who did not know him personally, hopefully his book of memoirs will allow them the opportunity to learn about his legacy, one that can never be replaced. In my years with him, he taught me so much about life. We have certainly lost a great treasure in his passing. He has always had a way of being able to pick you up when things were down. I know his spirit will continue to be with me and all Wildcat fans, players, managers and coaches. He is certainly loved by many, and will be missed by all.”
April 1, 200818 yr I was so sadden to hear the news this morning on the passing of Mr. Keightley.Kentucky Basketball won't be the same without him. Thanks Mr.Wildcat for the memories.
April 2, 200818 yr I had the privelage of eating dinner twice with Mr. Wildcat, he was the most down to earth person I had ever met. The stories he told of the UK program was just unreal. It was a privelage to be present with this man on these two occassions. Prayers go out to his family and the Big Blue Nation.
April 2, 200818 yr I to had the privelage to meet Mr. Wildcat, he was checking out in front of me at krogers about a year or so ago. He dropped a bag of candy as I went down to pick it up coming out from behind the ESPN Mag I was reading I realized who it was. I had a Reds shirt on and he has asked me who my fav player was. We begin a conversation that ended roughly 20 mins later as we finally reached our cars and emptied our carts. He didn't know me from the man on the moon, but acted as if we were best friends. Kentucky and the Big Blue Nation lost a legend and a tremendous person. Prayers go out to his family.
April 2, 200818 yr -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tubby Smith releases a statement on Bill Keightley (via University of Minnesota Athletics): “Words can not describe what Mr. Keightley has meant to me and many others that have been involved with Kentucky Basketball. Mr. Keightley has been a confidant to so many coaches that have had the good fortune to sit along side him. That is what it has been, us sitting next to him, not him sitting next to us. No one will ever love Kentucky Basketball more than Mr. Keightley. A few years back, he began writing his book of stories about UK Basketball. For those who did not know him personally, hopefully his book of memoirs will allow them the opportunity to learn about his legacy, one that can never be replaced. In my years with him, he taught me so much about life. We have certainly lost a great treasure in his passing. He has always had a way of being able to pick you up when things were down. I know his spirit will continue to be with me and all Wildcat fans, players, managers and coaches. He is certainly loved by many, and will be missed by all.” Thank you for this post and information ITG, I was hoping that Mr. Keightly would have a book. Hopefully what he started can be published and we will get to buy and read it, should be the "ultimate" read on U.K. Basketball from a man with over 47 years on the bench starting with Adolph Rupp. I didn't know that he had started one, great news.
April 2, 200818 yr I just saw this request by the Keightly family while reading the article on the Keightly memorial servives at Rupp on Thursday and thought that some might want know...........................This full article is at http://www.ukathletics.com The Keightley family requests memorial donations be made to The Bill Keightley "Mr. Wildcat" Basketball Managers Scholarship Fund, UK Office of Development, 100 Sturgill Development Buildings, Lexington, KY 40506-0015. Also, here are a couple of mopre comments, statements from just two well known and loved Wildcats about Mr. Keightly.......................... Former UK Player - Kenny Walker (1983-86) "It was no secret why he was so well liked, because he liked everyone," Walker said. "He wasn't just like that with me. He was like that for everyone at the University of Kentucky." Former UK Player (1988-92) and current Arkansas Basketball Coach John Pelphrey I am deeply saddened and feel a tremendous loss, not only for myself and the Wildcats, but for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. For 48 years, Bill looked over coaches and student-athletes with the love and care only a father could give. Mr. Bill had the character and personality to attract people of all backgrounds into a relationship of trust. For me, there are so many memories I have from my five years of being with Mr. Keightley, but probably the thing that stands out the most is seemingly every time we had an encounter, there was a hello, a hug and a big hearty laugh. It was incredible – every single time.
April 2, 200818 yr I don't know if anyone had posted this yet or not, but I just heard a few hours ago that he had a tumor on his back and he was hemorrhaging, and the loss of blood caused his fall, ultimately leading to his death. How sad and tragic...he will be missed greatly and will never be forgotten.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.