Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who deserves more credit for UK's 1998 National Title?

Tubby or Rick? 74 members have voted

  1. 1. Tubby or Rick?

    • Orlando "Tubby" Smith
      59%
    • "Slick" Rick Pitino
      40%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks we all have opinions. Tubby was on the bench with the players as the Coach in 98. A hundred years from now when we are all dead and gone in the UK history book it will list Tubby as the Coach. There will not be an asterisk beside his name saying he won with Pitino's players.

 

Ya never know in today's world. I might just lobby for an *. :D :jump:

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a team photo for that year and Pitino was not in it, but I did see Tubby there...

I had no idea this was the case. WOW, that is really, really bad.

 

I thought the same thing when I first read that stat but then I began to look at LC Pats comment.

 

It's hard to play someone above a 5 seed unless you make a Regional Final or are a low seed yourself.

 

In fact in that same time frame mentioned above Duke defeated someone above a 5 seed only 3 times. Twice in the NCAA title run of 2001 (both in the Final Four and they were equal #1 seeds) and vs. Michigan State in 1999 (a similar #1 seed).

 

 

I didn't mean to pile on Duke here because I'll bet you can go back and find many traditionally high seeded teams have a difficult time fitting that bill to perfection. It is a bad stat for UK but not as horrible as first thought. :thumb:

I think all of the credit goes to Scott Padgett, Jeff Shephard, Wayne Turner, Heshimu Evans, Allen Edwards, and Cameron Mills! :thumb:

 

Agreed 150% when you have these high caliber players they didn't need a coach to tell them what they needed to do they already knew, all Tubby had to do was act like he was coaching on the sidelines. The players did the rest.

 

So in saying that, I think that Rick has the mastermind behind the 1998 Championship. I mean after all who did Tubby bring in? Saul Smith?:lol:

Agreed 150% when you have these high caliber players they didn't need a coach to tell them what they needed to do they already knew, all Tubby had to do was act like he was coaching on the sidelines. The players did the rest.

 

So in saying that, I think that Rick has the mastermind behind the 1998 Championship. I mean after all who did Tubby bring in? Saul Smith?:lol:

 

 

I'm no moderator and I'm no Tubby apologist but I think your descriptive phrases of Coach Smith are over the line of decency and are not something I welcome to read again!! :irked::madman:

Tubby took over the UK job with Pitino players.but wait,Pitino went to Boston so now Pitino players has become Tubby players and all he has done was coach them to a 1998 NCAA Championship.So yes, Tubby does deserves more credit.

I thought the same thing when I first read that stat but then I began to look at LC Pats comment.

 

It's hard to play someone above a 5 seed unless you make a Regional Final or are a low seed yourself.

 

In fact in that same time frame mentioned above Duke defeated someone above a 5 seed only 3 times. Twice in the NCAA title run of 2001 (both in the Final Four and they were equal #1 seeds) and vs. Michigan State in 1999 (a similar #1 seed).

 

 

I didn't mean to pile on Duke here because I'll bet you can go back and find many traditionally high seeded teams have a difficult time fitting that bill to perfection. It is a bad stat for UK but not as horrible as first thought. :thumb:

 

 

The "high seed" factor is major one, but I think it shows that Tubby won the games he was favored to win, and that was it. I looked that stat up the other day, it shocked me too.

Agreed 150% when you have these high caliber players they didn't need a coach to tell them what they needed to do they already knew, Tubby had to do was act like he was coaching on the sidelines. The players did the rest.

 

So in saying that, I think that Rick has the mastermind behind the 1998 Championship. I mean after all who did Tubby bring in? Saul Smith?:lol:

 

I believe this is the worst post I ever read on this site...:irked::sleep:

I watched the replay of the championship game today on Classic.

I want to change my answer to William Avery and Steve Wojo.

I watched from WalMart the UK dvd and it has I believe Shepard talking about how they ran Pitino's style with a mixture of Tubby's defense. I believe he also went back to state that is was more Pitino that Tubby. Thats coming from Shepard so it must be in the Bible somewhere, I'm not for sure what chapter and verse.

I have also read where Shepard said that Tubby's style gave them a better chance to comeback in the Duke game. With Pitino they were always looking over their shoulder if they made a mistake and sometimes would play tight. Tubby would allow them a chance to make up for mistakes.

 

I give Tubby a 75-25 spread over Rick when giving credit for the 98 title.

-Best player in 98 wasn't even good enough to play in 97

-98 team was no where as talented as the team that came in 2nd in 97 (3 NBA starters Anderson, Mercer and Nazr).

-Team played better team Defense, Pitino's teams relied on being better atheletes. Tubby's D relied on being in better position.

-Pitino with a better team '97 lost to a worse team (Arizona)

-Pitino did recruit all but one of the players on the 98 team.

 

I loved 'em both when they were here. Just has I love BCG now.

Go Cats!!!

  • Author
I have also read where Shepard said that Tubby's style gave them a better chance to comeback in the Duke game. With Pitino they were always looking over their shoulder if they made a mistake and sometimes would play tight. Tubby would allow them a chance to make up for mistakes.

 

I give Tubby a 75-25 spread over Rick when giving credit for the 98 title.

-Best player in 98 wasn't even good enough to play in 97

-98 team was no where as talented as the team that came in 2nd in 97 (3 NBA starters Anderson, Mercer and Nazr).

-Team played better team Defense, Pitino's teams relied on being better atheletes. Tubby's D relied on being in better position.

-Pitino with a better team '97 lost to a worse team (Arizona)

-Pitino did recruit all but one of the players on the 98 team.

 

I loved 'em both when they were here. Just has I love BCG now.

Go Cats!!!

 

:thumb: I agree.

 

Nazr played on the '98 team also.

I have always looked at it this way; I give them both some credit. They were Pitino's players but I know for a fact if I was coaching the 98 team we would have lost early and often. Someone can correct me on this but I remember playing Clemson in 97 and losing under Pitino and winning the next year under Tubby. Or maybe it was Purdue. So Tubby is no dummy. Either way, I think they both contributed to the 98 victory and both have to be given some credit. I don't think you can exclude either one's contribution entirely whichever side you are on.

I have also read where Shepard said that Tubby's style gave them a better chance to comeback in the Duke game. With Pitino they were always looking over their shoulder if they made a mistake and sometimes would play tight. Tubby would allow them a chance to make up for mistakes.

 

I give Tubby a 75-25 spread over Rick when giving credit for the 98 title.

-Best player in 98 wasn't even good enough to play in 97

-98 team was no where as talented as the team that came in 2nd in 97 (3 NBA starters Anderson, Mercer and Nazr).

-Team played better team Defense, Pitino's teams relied on being better atheletes. Tubby's D relied on being in better position.

-Pitino with a better team '97 lost to a worse team (Arizona)

-Pitino did recruit all but one of the players on the 98 team.

 

I loved 'em both when they were here. Just has I love BCG now.

Go Cats!!!

 

Anderson did not play because Pitino did not want to take a chance on hurting his pro career even though the doctors had cleared him and he wanted to play. That was the difference in the game.:thumb:

 

Bammer Nolte or Bill Hornbuckle from the Ashland YMCA could have won it in 98 with Ricky's players:laugh:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.